Here is the deal. I have Windows XP Home SP2, Norton Antivirus 2005, and a
Microsoft Wireless-G router. The problem is that i cant receive remote
assistance. I have looked at all settings and all programs. Remote Assistance
is set up so Norton doesn't stop it and Windows Firewall doesan't stop it.
So, what is the problem? Help is much appreciated.

Unrealchamp wrote:

> I have Windows XP Home SP2, Norton Antivirus 2005,
> and a Microsoft Wireless-G router. The problem is that i cant receive
> remote assistance. I have looked at all settings and all programs.
> Remote Assistance is set up so Norton doesn't stop it and Windows
> Firewall doesan't stop it. So, what is the problem?

For a novice to receive Remote Assistance when the novice's PC is behind a
NAT router, then:

1. The NAT router must support UPnP, and UPnP support must be turned on in
the router;
2. Windows Firewall must have Exceptions defined and enabled for "Remote
Assistance" and "UPnP Framework".

If Norton Antivirus 2005 contains any firewall or anti-worm components, they
should be turned off until you have Remote Assistance working.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Thank you for your assistance. It is much appreciated.