Alternatives to using a teleprompter?

I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
alternatives to using a teleprompter?
Thank you

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:10:12 GMT, Craig Busch <clbusch@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
>alternatives to using a teleprompter?

Memorize your lines.

--
Owamanga!

Owamanga wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:10:12 GMT, Craig Busch <clbusch@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
>> alternatives to using a teleprompter?
>
> Memorize your lines.

The old fashioned way is a Sharpie and several pieces of bristle board (2' x
3' - $1 ea.). I've also put a computer monitor next to the lens, loaded up
MS Word on a laptop, set the script to a large font, and stepped through it.
Not elegant by any stretch of the imagination but it works.
One on-camera talent I've worked with in the past recorded the script onto
cassette, put it in a small player, hooked it onto his belt in the back and
ran an earpiece up. Right before we were due to start, he'd hit "play" and
talk along with his own voice. As long as we weren't on a really tight
shot, you never saw the earpiece. It takes some practice not to get
confused but he regularly did 1/2 hr. trade show talks this way - on
subjects he knew absolutely nothing about :)

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Owamanga wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:10:12 GMT, Craig Busch <clbusch@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
>>> alternatives to using a teleprompter?
>>
>> Memorize your lines.
>

> The old fashioned way is a Sharpie and several pieces of bristle board (2'
> 3' - $1 ea.). I've also put a computer monitor next to the lens, loaded
> up
> MS Word on a laptop, set the script to a large font, and stepped through
> it.
> Not elegant by any stretch of the imagination but it works.
> One on-camera talent I've worked with in the past recorded the script onto
> cassette, put it in a small player, hooked it onto his belt in the back
> and
> ran an earpiece up. Right before we were due to start, he'd hit "play"
> and
> talk along with his own voice. As long as we weren't on a really tight
> shot, you never saw the earpiece. It takes some practice not to get
> confused but he regularly did 1/2 hr. trade show talks this way - on
> subjects he knew absolutely nothing about :)

Beware---long, long reply with more than you probably want to know about ear
prompting.

We dubbed it the 'Ear Prompter', when we first started using mini-cassette
players coupled with hearing aid technology as a substitute for visual
prompters back in the 80s. At that time I was working only as an actor. My
time was about equally divided between VO work on commercials and corporate
on camera presenter roles. This was about the time that training scripts
became longer and longer. In the studio, where regular teleprompters could
be used, it became routine to knock out 30 or 40 pages per day. However, in
the field visual prompters were and are often not practical. It was also
not reasonable to expect an actor to memorize even ten or twenty pages of
copy, particularly about arcane subjects with unfamiliar jargon. After all,
ten or fifteen pages of copy is like memorizing a significant role for a
theatrical play. I remember how we struggled. Then, a fellow actor, Bob
Hultz, heard about an actor working in Detroit that was using a portable
cassette player, about as big as a brick at that time, hung from his belt as
a cueing device. He approached a hearing aid store for help in creating an
in-ear device that was unobtrusive. I and a couple of other got wind of it
and assembled our own kit. Maybe five or six of us had a remarkable
competitive advantage for several years as other actors shunned the devices
as 'cheating'. Whatever, ear prompting kept me busy for over a hundred days
a year for many years.

Here are some of the advantages. First, an actor can appear on set, receive
a script from the director and be ready to go with the first scene on the
shot list literally in minutes. (I prefer to record my guide track scene by
scene as the day progresses. That way I don't have to search for the proper
scene.) After acquiring the skill to listen to yourself talk and speak
those words aloud in a believable and convincing way, the actor can do take
after take at exactly the same pace, while the rest of the team perfects a
difficult camera move. The actor won't burn out as happens when performing
memorized copy. Prompter stare is at the very least unnatural and often
obvious, when actors work with visual prompters. An ear prompter frees the
actor up to speak like a real human being, changing eye contact as
appropriate to the action and environment. I often put prop-cues right on
the prompting track. "Pick up the widget." "Write on easel card, 'Ten
rules for effective presentation.' And so on. Actors who are proficient
can use ear prompting effectively in dialogue scenes as well as to the
camera presenting. I worked on scenes with as many as five or six actors
all on ear prompter who were able to do take after take, for different
camera angles, flawlessly.

My current kit, used only a few days ago, consists of a Sony Digital note
taker, which holds over an hour of audio, a 'neck loop', and a completely
invisible custom molded wireless in-ear monitor. The neck loop plugs into
the Sony. The loop acts as the primary of a transformer that induces
current in a tiny coil in the ear monitor, which is amplified. I also have
back-up kit that consists of a little ear phone button whose output is
channeled through a very small diameter transparent plastic tube to a stock
sized ear insert. The tubing goes over the top of the ear and, as Mike
said, is all but invisible except for tight profile close-ups.

As one of the earliest adopters of this method of overcoming the
difficulties of memorization and frequent script changes, I believe the
technique has had as big an effect on productivity --- where presenters are
involved--- as moving from film to videotape. Today it is perfectly
reasonable to expect to do thirty or even forty pages a day of presenter
copy without stress and with greater apparent spontaneity than possible any
other way.

If anyone is interested I can hook you up with someone who has been putting
this kind of gear together for a couple of decades.

Steve King

Thanks for the ideas and help. Using the tape players sound interesting. I may
experiment with it to see
how it works for me.
Craig

Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:10:12 GMT, Craig Busch
> <clbusch@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas
>>on alternatives to using a teleprompter?
>
> Memorize your lines.
>
> --
> Owamanga!

Videonics Title Maker. Cheap but effective...and I just happen
to have one for sale!<g>

Derry

"Craig Busch" wrote ...
>I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
> alternatives to using a teleprompter?

In addition to the other ideas. I just saw a device in the
Markertek catalog (?) that fit in the shoe on top of your
small camera that would hold a sheet of paper right next
to the lens (like a copy-stand for a computer screen).
And somebody is making a mini-teleprompter that uses
a handheld computer inside a mini-enclosure with
mirror glass, etc. It fastens to the front of the lens.

There are a couple of DIY teleprompters out there also.

I have also done several productions where we printed
the script out on 8.5x11 paper in large type (using MS
PowerPoint) and had a "cue-card person" hold up the
"cards" just below the lens. Or taped up at various
places around the set, etc.

Having a great memory would help...

On 2/7/05 2:10 PM, in article 4207BD11.4CF63E9D@earthlink.net, "Craig Busch"
<clbusch@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
> alternatives to using a teleprompter?
> Thank you

Thank you for all the ideas. What a helpful place.
This time I will probably use the screen next to the camera, although I
am interested in seeing how the
tape player idea works for me. Next time, I think I will look into one
of the lower cost teleprompter
systems.
When using the tape method, I wonder if one needs to rehearse a lot that
way with the material, or if it is a matter on being comforatable with
the system?

Thank you,
Craig

"Craig Busch" <clbusch@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Thank you for all the ideas. What a helpful place.
> This time I will probably use the screen next to the camera, although I
> am interested in seeing how the
> tape player idea works for me. Next time, I think I will look into one
> of the lower cost teleprompter
> systems.
> When using the tape method, I wonder if one needs to rehearse a lot that
> way with the material, or if it is a matter on being comforatable with
> the system?

Craig, it is a matter of becoming comfortable with the system. You can
practice with any playback system and a single ear headphone. And, yes it
does require some practice to become proficient. I can pick up a script
with complicated jargon, scan it once to get the sense of the story, then
record it to my little digital note-taker device, and deliver it to camera
with the need for few re-takes. Try it for yourself. Practice while
listening to a newscast. Just repeat the lines you hear the newscaster
saying. After a shorter time than you imagine, you'll be able to do it. As
a caveat, I have know otherwise excellent professional performers who have
not been able to acquire the skill, but they are few. Another advantage
that I did not point out before is that no crew-member has to be assigned to
"drive" the teleprompter. No crew/staff member has to type the material
into a computer. No staff member has to use a marker to write out
cue-cards. Oh, and another advantage is that the ear-prompter equipment is
typically much cheaper than visual prompter with their display devices,
mirrors, support systems, etc. If I sound like an zealot, maybe I am. This
stuff helped me send a few kids through college.

Steve King

Write it in big block letters on continuous feed computer paper. Scotch
tape it to a paper tube - - the kind Christmas wrap comes on.

The rig a Lowell stand with a 90 degree stud at just-under-the-lens height,
and place it just to one side and in front of the camera. Put one end of
the paper tube on the stud, and hold the other one. Turn it slowly as the
talent reads, winding it up as he progresses.

that's my $.02 . . .

Steve

> I would appreciate it if you could please share any ideas on
> alternatives to using a teleprompter?
> Thank you

Hi Steve,
Just for a reference point, what is considered the "retail" cost of the
equipment you are talking about?

> Hi Steve,
> Just for a reference point, what is considered the "retail" cost of the
> equipment you are talking about?
> Thank you,
> Craig

I'll check prices with my supplier and get back to you, but... I'm guessing
since I haven't had to replace my kit for some time.
Wired Earpiece, with transparent tubing and ear insert about $100.
Wireless Neck loop with in-ear monitor about $300, maybe more.
Digital playback unit about $40 - several hundred. Check Google for Ear
Prompters. Several people were selling the bits and pieces.

Steve King

You may consider using a laptop on the podium and PowerPoint to create
bullets as a way of refreshing ones memory as they speak also.