editing: software vs hardware?

I used to edit on a Matrox 2500 with Premier 6.0. Am getting back into
it, but not sure what to get. Can the newest Premier (1.5 Pro, I think)
on a new, fast computer do a good job for semi-professional work
(creating a half hour promotional video for my business), or do I need
to consider a hardware card like the newest Matrox, for example? We're
shooting with a mini-DV camera. I'm not TRYING to spend money, but want
to get a system I'll be happy with. We'll be mastering DVD in the long
run.
3 answers Last reply
More about editing software hardware

    <frankdbell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I used to edit on a Matrox 2500 with Premier 6.0. Am getting back into
    > it, but not sure what to get. Can the newest Premier (1.5 Pro, I think)
    > on a new, fast computer do a good job for semi-professional work

    Most Definately. I use it for everything from indies to commercials to docs.

    > (creating a half hour promotional video for my business), or do I need
    > to consider a hardware card like the newest Matrox, for example? We're
    > shooting with a mini-DV camera. I'm not TRYING to spend money, but want
    > to get a system I'll be happy with. We'll be mastering DVD in the long
    > run.

    All you need is Premiere Pro and a firewire card. I think it is $199 upgrade
    from 6.

    <frankdbell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I used to edit on a Matrox 2500 with Premier 6.0. Am getting back into
    > it, but not sure what to get. Can the newest Premier (1.5 Pro, I think)
    > on a new, fast computer do a good job for semi-professional work
    > (creating a half hour promotional video for my business), or do I need
    > to consider a hardware card like the newest Matrox, for example? We're
    > shooting with a mini-DV camera. I'm not TRYING to spend money, but want
    > to get a system I'll be happy with. We'll be mastering DVD in the long
    > run.

    Using Adobe Premiere Pro with a 1394 card on a new P4 machine gives you
    about the same performance as using the Matrox RT2500 on your present
    system - only you won't have the benefit of realtime output to analog video
    (VHS or SVHS). Adobe Premiere Pro has realtime preview from the timeline
    using a 1394 card, but then again so does Premiere 6.0.

    Encoding to MPEG-2 IBP for DVD authoring will be faster using the
    MainConcept Encoder that ships with Adobe Premiere Pro. Your encode times
    may still be 3 to 1. If you were to spring for the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro
    with Premiere Pro, Encore DVD & Audition it would be a very good choice for
    the following reason. The RT.X100 has the abiltiy to encode to MPEG-2 from
    the timeline of Adobe Premiere 6.5 in realtime on a P4 2.0GHz 400MHz front
    side bus computer system using the proper build of Matrox Xtools.

    When using a newer machine with 800MHz front side bus the encode times are
    faster still and can be done from the timeline of Adobe Premeire Pro. The
    ability to encode to MPEG-2 DVD compliant files with faster than software
    encode times has nothing to do with Premiere Pro or the MainConcept software
    plug-in and everything to do with the RT.X100 card. Settling for Adobe
    Premiere Pro with a simple 1394 card is certainly the less expensive way to
    go, but you will gain more in productivity by spending the extra money on
    the outset.

    Even if you were to place the RT.X100 card into a system slower than the
    800MHz fsb system, as I related earlier you STILL get realtime output to
    MPEG-2 which is way faster than 3 to 1! If you have a access to the right P4
    400MHz 2.0GHz system (which can be built from parts listed in the
    compatibility pages at Matrox) and have a copy of Premiere 6.5 you could
    trade-in your RT2500 hardware for the RT.X100 hardware. Doing this would
    save you money and would serve as a good editing system for a long time to
    come. After all, unless you are really needing faster than realtime MPEG-2
    encodes, the system is still a killer realtime editing system. Even the
    RT2500 is way better for realtime editing than a 1394 card with any
    combination of NLE software!
    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    message news:smZNd.1257$pc5.903@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    > <frankdbell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I used to edit on a Matrox 2500 with Premier 6.0. Am getting back into
    > > it, but not sure what to get. Can the newest Premier (1.5 Pro, I think)
    > > on a new, fast computer do a good job for semi-professional work
    > > (creating a half hour promotional video for my business), or do I need
    > > to consider a hardware card like the newest Matrox, for example? We're
    > > shooting with a mini-DV camera. I'm not TRYING to spend money, but want
    > > to get a system I'll be happy with. We'll be mastering DVD in the long
    > > run.
    > >

    > Using Adobe Premiere Pro with a 1394 card on a new P4 machine gives you
    > about the same performance as using the Matrox RT2500 on your present
    > system - only you won't have the benefit of realtime output to analog
    video
    > (VHS or SVHS). Adobe Premiere Pro has realtime preview from the timeline
    > using a 1394 card, but then again so does Premiere 6.0.

    Oops, I meant to say Premiere 6.5

    > Encoding to MPEG-2 IBP for DVD authoring will be faster using the
    > MainConcept Encoder that ships with Adobe Premiere Pro. Your encode times
    > may still be 3 to 1. If you were to spring for the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme
    Pro
    > with Premiere Pro, Encore DVD & Audition it would be a very good choice
    for
    > the following reason. The RT.X100 has the abiltiy to encode to MPEG-2 from
    > the timeline of Adobe Premiere 6.5 in realtime on a P4 2.0GHz 400MHz front
    > side bus computer system using the proper build of Matrox Xtools.
    >
    > When using a newer machine with 800MHz front side bus the encode times are
    > faster still and can be done from the timeline of Adobe Premeire Pro. The
    > ability to encode to MPEG-2 DVD compliant files with faster than software
    > encode times has nothing to do with Premiere Pro or the MainConcept
    software
    > plug-in and everything to do with the RT.X100 card. Settling for Adobe
    > Premiere Pro with a simple 1394 card is certainly the less expensive way
    > go, but you will gain more in productivity by spending the extra money on
    > the outset.
    >
    > Even if you were to place the RT.X100 card into a system slower than the
    > 800MHz fsb system, as I related earlier you STILL get realtime output to
    > MPEG-2 which is way faster than 3 to 1! If you have a access to the right
    P4
    > 400MHz 2.0GHz system (which can be built from parts listed in the
    > compatibility pages at Matrox) and have a copy of Premiere 6.5 you could
    > trade-in your RT2500 hardware for the RT.X100 hardware. Doing this would
    > save you money and would serve as a good editing system for a long time to
    > come. After all, unless you are really needing faster than realtime MPEG-2
    > encodes, the system is still a killer realtime editing system. Even the
    > RT2500 is way better for realtime editing than a 1394 card with any
    > combination of NLE software!
    > --
    > Larry Johnson
    > Digital Video Solutions