Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Raspberry Pi Should Achieve "2X The iPhone 4S Performance"

Last response: in News comments
January 25, 2012 9:41:29 PM

Might have to get a couple of the $35 versions to play around with. Pretty interesting, overall.
Score
January 25, 2012 9:50:36 PM

What is the point of having a "killer GPU" if you aren't even running a widely used mobile OS? Are you going to load some Linux distro on there with Wine and run some real games? That will never happen. The GPU wont meant much with out some content.

Make it a Cortex-A9 dual core, run a real mobile OS, and I would considering buying them for my TV's. Other then that, this is just a toy for programmers to play with.
Score
January 25, 2012 9:50:53 PM

Quote:
Eben Upton claims that the little $25/$35 credit card-sized PC will crank out twice the performance of the iPhone 4S "across a range of content."

Should I be impressed? Why not compare it to a good smart phone?
Score
January 25, 2012 9:55:56 PM

$35 bucks? ? ? Is that for real? I'm going to buy two of them for my tv.
Score
January 25, 2012 9:56:03 PM

del35Should I be impressed? Why not compare it to a good smart phone?

It has one of the fastest mobile GPU's maybe?
DarkersonMight have to get a couple of the $35 versions to play around with. Pretty interesting, overall.

I'm definitely buying a few of the $35 ones :) 
Score
January 25, 2012 9:57:23 PM

del35Should I be impressed? Why not compare it to a good smart phone?

I hate Apple just as much as the next guy but jeez dude give the 4S some credit. It does still have the fastest GPU of any phone on the market
Score
Anonymous
January 25, 2012 10:01:26 PM

Actually, no, Samsung currently hold that title with their Mali-400 GPU.
Score
January 25, 2012 10:15:45 PM

Well, I phrased that wrong because the Mali-400 came out first
Score
January 25, 2012 10:23:05 PM

Actually, I was right the first time. The SGX543 is featured on the ipad 2 which came out before the Samsung Galaxy S II which was the first device with the Mali-400. Sorry for the extra posts which are mostly off-topic anyway
Score
January 25, 2012 10:45:08 PM

So, what can I do with one of these things?
Score
January 25, 2012 10:54:37 PM

This would make a great micro-console.
Score
January 25, 2012 11:03:48 PM

Already have a Google TV but i'm interested in getting one of these to try out Ubuntu TV which looks pretty slick and alot more responsive than the damn atom in the Google tv (almost positive it's intel's crappy igp making google tv so unresponsive right now...)
Score
January 25, 2012 11:48:10 PM

im pretty sure they will be sold out on the first day or two. If they offered preorders, they would be gone already.
Score
January 26, 2012 1:01:30 AM

Surely he must be referring strictly to GPU performance. You're not going to outperform a dual-core Cortex A9 with a 700 MHz Arm11. If the GPU really outperforms everything else on the market today, why pair it with such a dated processor?
Score
January 26, 2012 1:19:12 AM

dogman_1234So, what can I do with one of these things?

oh boy so many things come to my mind. this little thing can do almost everything except playing crysis :p 
I'm planing to buy 6 of those. 1 is going to a small server another is going to my octocoper one for my wardriving rig too, I'll also use one for my ipcamera it will be cheaper and I get to choose the camera I want, one for my tv, one powered by solar panels for remote monitoring.
I just love this thing. now I just need to find some usb powered lcd and some more stuff *.*
I've been waiting for this for a long time.

"and the $35 version adds more memory and an Ethernet port." you forgot it also has 2 usb ports instead of 1.
Score
January 26, 2012 1:34:55 AM

What can one actually do with this though?
Score
January 26, 2012 3:23:13 AM

with Apple, you're just basically paying for the name
Score
January 26, 2012 6:18:55 AM

I saw over at the daily circuit that they got XBox Media Center to work on it. Crazy!
Score
January 26, 2012 6:37:16 AM

Does anyone know what os these will be running?
Score
January 26, 2012 8:04:36 AM

DarkersonHere is one of the things I was thinking about when I originally started paying attention to the Raspberry Pi.http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm

Exactly, Puppy Arcade is the first thing that comes to mind every time I see an article about something like this.

All I need is the time, cause money ain't the issue @ $35
Score
January 26, 2012 9:35:18 AM

I hope THG will do a review of them once they become available.
Would be interesting to see what $25/35 can buy these days.
I mean a cheap dinner date costs more than that and we all know
that dates are not always worth the money :-)

And before the ladies crucify me; I did not say WHO the guilty party
in case of the date would be :-)
Score
January 26, 2012 12:01:56 PM

Since when is the latest minor iteration of one company's proprietary cell phone (with a substandard screen size) the standard for comparison in compute power? What's next? Telling us the size of a gaming console as 87 times at thick as an iPhone 3G?
Score
January 26, 2012 12:12:21 PM

Now I can have a HTPC running XBMC on every TV in the house
Score
January 26, 2012 12:24:46 PM

sanctoonAll I need is the time, cause money ain't the issue @ $35

How could having more time cause money not to be the issue? I think it would be the other way around: "All I need is the time, BEcause money ain't(sic) the issue, at $35"
Score
Anonymous
January 26, 2012 2:21:47 PM

i'll believe it when I see it...
Score
January 26, 2012 3:41:23 PM

lamorpaHow could having more time cause money not to be the issue? I think it would be the other way around: "All I need is the time, BEcause money ain't(sic) the issue, at $35"

Grammar Police! Pull over!
Score
January 26, 2012 6:45:36 PM

So will this be powerful enough to act as a media server (via NAS storage unit)? If so, I may have to hook one up to my TV. Could it be used as a torrent box? Also, what kind of local storage does it have? Or do you need to use a USB HD? Does it come with a case?

*EDIT*
Actually, I just went to their website and that has answered most of my questions. For those that want to know: Its powerful enough to play BluRay video. The local storage is via an SD slot. It doesn't come with a case (though apparently they are planning on making one). There is support for Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux and potentially Ubuntu (in the near future). They will sell SD cards preloaded with the OS of your choice. There is are HDMI (video/audio), RCA (video), 3.5mm (audio) ports. Its powered by Micro USB. To connect multiple USB devices you just use a splitter.

Ok, now I really want one. I wonder what kind of homemade case I can whip up.
Score
January 26, 2012 8:38:40 PM

gm0n3ySo will this be powerful enough to act as a media server (via NAS storage unit)? If so, I may have to hook one up to my TV. Could it be used as a torrent box? Also, what kind of local storage does it have? Or do you need to use a USB HD? Does it come with a case?*EDIT*Actually, I just went to their website and that has answered most of my questions. For those that want to know: Its powerful enough to play BluRay video. The local storage is via an SD slot. It doesn't come with a case (though apparently they are planning on making one). There is support for Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux and potentially Ubuntu (in the near future). They will sell SD cards preloaded with the OS of your choice. There is are HDMI (video/audio), RCA (video), 3.5mm (audio) ports. Its powered by Micro USB. To connect multiple USB devices you just use a splitter.Ok, now I really want one. I wonder what kind of homemade case I can whip up.

Have all your storage on NAS drives, tucked away on a phat switch in the attic.
Score
Anonymous
January 27, 2012 5:06:36 AM

Well of course its going to be faster, it consumes far more power than any phone. It uses either up to 2.5 watts or 3.5 watts depending on model. Link http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/260 (700 milliAmps over 5V)
Score
January 31, 2012 3:08:27 AM

I really want to get my hands on this, however I'm concerned it may be vapor ware. Hope I'm wrong.
Score
!