Long Delay logging into domain via ADSL

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can assist / seen this before?

Windows XP SP1 connecting to the LAN via Netgear ASDL gateway. (there are no
restrictions apart from the default block all inbound and allow all outbound
rule, there is a FW on the local machine)
Prior to connecting the VPN, the user presses ctrl-alt-del to login to the
domain which then prompts the user for a username and password for the VPN
Connection (in this case Secure remote VPN-1).
Prior to the VPN authentication, the system hangs after pressing
ctrl-alt-del for approx 3 mins+ and then requests the details. Once these are
entered it then "greys out" the details and hangs again for another few
minutes before requesting the VPN details. It then connects as normal.

I think this is a delay where it is trying to connect to the domain via DNS,
which on the local machine points to the router and then obviously forwards
to the ISP.

Does anyone know how to get round this without blocking ports on the router
as this will impact it loging onto the domain ?

Many Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about long delay logging domain adsl

    RP wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone can assist / seen this before?
    >
    > Windows XP SP1 connecting to the LAN via Netgear ASDL gateway. (there
    > are no restrictions apart from the default block all inbound and
    > allow all outbound rule, there is a FW on the local machine)
    > Prior to connecting the VPN, the user presses ctrl-alt-del to login
    > to the domain which then prompts the user for a username and password
    > for the VPN Connection (in this case Secure remote VPN-1).
    > Prior to the VPN authentication, the system hangs after pressing
    > ctrl-alt-del for approx 3 mins+ and then requests the details. Once
    > these are entered it then "greys out" the details and hangs again for
    > another few minutes before requesting the VPN details. It then
    > connects as normal.
    >
    > I think this is a delay where it is trying to connect to the domain
    > via DNS, which on the local machine points to the router and then
    > obviously forwards to the ISP.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get round this without blocking ports on the
    > router as this will impact it loging onto the domain ?

    Put the domains DNS entries in the VPN vbirtual device - see if that makes a
    difference.
    Also - what speed is this DSL connection and how many group policies have to
    be applied from the domain when connecting to it?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Thanks for the reply

    the line is a 512k DSL (280 down). However this happens before the VPN is
    loaded (although the service would be loading in the background)

    When you say enter the DNS entries into the virtual device, there is no
    external facing DNS server, the user has to connect to the LAN via the VPN
    before hand. I may be getting a little confused here :)

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > RP wrote:
    > > I was wondering if anyone can assist / seen this before?
    > >
    > > Windows XP SP1 connecting to the LAN via Netgear ASDL gateway. (there
    > > are no restrictions apart from the default block all inbound and
    > > allow all outbound rule, there is a FW on the local machine)
    > > Prior to connecting the VPN, the user presses ctrl-alt-del to login
    > > to the domain which then prompts the user for a username and password
    > > for the VPN Connection (in this case Secure remote VPN-1).
    > > Prior to the VPN authentication, the system hangs after pressing
    > > ctrl-alt-del for approx 3 mins+ and then requests the details. Once
    > > these are entered it then "greys out" the details and hangs again for
    > > another few minutes before requesting the VPN details. It then
    > > connects as normal.
    > >
    > > I think this is a delay where it is trying to connect to the domain
    > > via DNS, which on the local machine points to the router and then
    > > obviously forwards to the ISP.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to get round this without blocking ports on the
    > > router as this will impact it loging onto the domain ?
    >
    > Put the domains DNS entries in the VPN vbirtual device - see if that makes a
    > difference.
    > Also - what speed is this DSL connection and how many group policies have to
    > be applied from the domain when connecting to it?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

Domain vpn Windows XP