Authenticating XP Pro over a VPN to a NT 4.0 PDC

Shon

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003

I have a linux based VPN solution solution set up at work. My network is
still using an NT 4.0 PDC with DHCP, DNS and WINS installed. I am using a
third party clinet to connect to the VPN server called SoftRemote. The
client machine is using XP Pro SP2 set in a Workgroup (a home computer with
networking support).

I can connect to the VPN server with no problems and ping the server I need
to authenticate to. I have created an lmhosts file on the XP Pro box using
the #dom and #pre statements. When I try to access a resource - like a
shared drive - using either the ip address or unc, the authentication box
pops up. I then try to authenticate using domain\username and I get a
"cannot authenticate" message.

I have tried this with a company laptop and it works fine. I can browse and
map resources, but not from the XP system in the workgroup at home. Is there
anything else I can try?

"Shon" wrote:

> I have a linux based VPN solution solution set up at work. My network is
> still using an NT 4.0 PDC with DHCP, DNS and WINS installed. I am using a
> third party clinet to connect to the VPN server called SoftRemote. The
> client machine is using XP Pro SP2 set in a Workgroup (a home computer with
> networking support).
>
> I can connect to the VPN server with no problems and ping the server I need
> to authenticate to. I have created an lmhosts file on the XP Pro box using
> the #dom and #pre statements. When I try to access a resource - like a
> shared drive - using either the ip address or unc, the authentication box
> pops up. I then try to authenticate using domain\username and I get a
> "cannot authenticate" message.
>
> I have tried this with a company laptop and it works fine. I can browse and
> map resources, but not from the XP system in the workgroup at home. Is there
> anything else I can try?

Sorry about the double post it was an accident....

Do you have a WINS server service setup on the Windows NT 4 server? If not
try intalling that and putting that IP address into the XP machines TCP/IP
configuration. I had a similar problem and setting up the WINS server on my
NT 4 (BDC) fixed my issue.

"MIS_Man" wrote:

> "Shon" wrote:
>
> > I have a linux based VPN solution solution set up at work. My network is
> > still using an NT 4.0 PDC with DHCP, DNS and WINS installed. I am using a
> > third party clinet to connect to the VPN server called SoftRemote. The
> > client machine is using XP Pro SP2 set in a Workgroup (a home computer with
> > networking support).
> >
> > I can connect to the VPN server with no problems and ping the server I need
> > to authenticate to. I have created an lmhosts file on the XP Pro box using
> > the #dom and #pre statements. When I try to access a resource - like a
> > shared drive - using either the ip address or unc, the authentication box
> > pops up. I then try to authenticate using domain\username and I get a
> > "cannot authenticate" message.
> >
> > I have tried this with a company laptop and it works fine. I can browse and
> > map resources, but not from the XP system in the workgroup at home. Is there
> > anything else I can try?

Shon

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks for the reply MIS_Man. Yes, we have a WINS running on the server. I
have made an lmhosts file in the /drivers/etc directory and added that to the
ip properties on the adapter settings on XP. Stil no joy. Anything else I
can try?

"MIS_Man" wrote:

> Sorry about the double post it was an accident....
>
> Do you have a WINS server service setup on the Windows NT 4 server? If not
> try intalling that and putting that IP address into the XP machines TCP/IP
> configuration. I had a similar problem and setting up the WINS server on my
> NT 4 (BDC) fixed my issue.
>
> "MIS_Man" wrote:
>

> > "Shon" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a linux based VPN solution solution set up at work. My network is
> > > still using an NT 4.0 PDC with DHCP, DNS and WINS installed. I am using a
> > > third party clinet to connect to the VPN server called SoftRemote. The
> > > client machine is using XP Pro SP2 set in a Workgroup (a home computer with
> > > networking support).
> > >
> > > I can connect to the VPN server with no problems and ping the server I need
> > > to authenticate to. I have created an lmhosts file on the XP Pro box using
> > > the #dom and #pre statements. When I try to access a resource - like a
> > > shared drive - using either the ip address or unc, the authentication box
> > > pops up. I then try to authenticate using domain\username and I get a
> > > "cannot authenticate" message.
> > >
> > > I have tried this with a company laptop and it works fine. I can browse and
> > > map resources, but not from the XP system in the workgroup at home. Is there
> > > anything else I can try?

Since you are in a workgroup remove the password on the share and try
connecting after that. Let me know what happens