I filmed video clip with camera on side.. now the video is..

Hello,
I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?

thanks!!
9 answers Last reply
More about filmed video clip camera side video

    <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    > would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    > looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    > short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    > watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    > need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >
    > thanks!!

    With a video editor.
    Such as:
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com

    For home users:
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7

    Or:
    Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

    Google search for "video Editor":
    http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+editor&btnG=Google+Search

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
    Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
    rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
    wrote:

    ><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    >> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    >> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    >> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    >> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    >> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >>
    >> thanks!!
    >
    >With a video editor.
    >Such as:
    >http://www.pinnaclesys.com
    >
    >For home users:
    >http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7
    >
    >Or:
    >Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
    >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
    >
    >Google search for "video Editor":
    >http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+editor&btnG=Google+Search
    >
    >--
    >CSM1
    >http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    well, yes ... it is called a "video editing program" that you open,
    rotate, save the file in.

    skydigger123@hotmail.com wrote:
    >Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
    >Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
    >rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|
    >

    >On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    >>> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    >>> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    >>> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    >>> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    >>> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >>>
    >>> thanks!!
    >>
    >>With a video editor.
    >>Such as:
    >>http://www.pinnaclesys.com
    >>
    >>For home users:
    >>http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7
    >>
    >>Or:
    >>Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
    >>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
    >>
    >>Google search for "video Editor":
    >>http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+editor&btnG=Google+Search
    >>
    >>--
    >>CSM1
    >>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Quicktime hacks are easy to find in 5 minutes usually. Just a password you
    can borrow and then throw away. Same software for all levels, only the
    password is different.

    > Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
    > Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
    > rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|
    >

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > ><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    > >> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    > >> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    > >> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    > >> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    > >> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    > >>
    > >> thanks!!
    > >
    > >With a video editor.
    > >Such as:
    > >http://www.pinnaclesys.com
    > >
    > >For home users:
    > >http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7
    > >
    > >Or:
    > >Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
    > >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
    > >
    > >Google search for "video Editor":
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+editor&btnG=Google+Searc
    > >
    > >--
    > >CSM1
    > >http://www.carlmcmillan.com

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Well... Lesson learned!
    Do not turn the camera, except for an intended special effect.

    You could turn the TV or monitor on the side. <grin>
    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
    > Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
    > rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|
    >

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    >>> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    >>> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    >>> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    >>> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    >>> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >>>
    >>> thanks!!
    >>
    >>With a video editor.
    >>Such as:
    >>http://www.pinnaclesys.com
    >>
    >>For home users:
    >>http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7
    >>
    >>Or:
    >>Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
    >>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
    >>
    >>Google search for "video Editor":
    >>http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+editor&btnG=Google+Search
    >>
    >>--
    >>CSM1
    >>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    > would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    > looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    > short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    > watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    > need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >
    > thanks!!
    Try asking in news:alt.comp.freeware I bet they have a solution!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    skydigger123@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    > would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    > looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    > short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    > watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    > need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >
    > thanks!!

    There's a free program put there called VirtualDub. I was looking though
    today and noticed in the video\filters menu that there's a rotate option.
    That might do the trick. Google vurtualdub and you should be able to easily
    find it.

    --
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 05:11:08 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
    <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

    >skydigger123@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
    >> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
    >> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
    >> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
    >> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
    >> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
    >>
    >> thanks!!
    >
    >There's a free program put there called VirtualDub. I was looking though
    >today and noticed in the video\filters menu that there's a rotate option.
    >That might do the trick. Google vurtualdub and you should be able to easily
    >find it.

    VirtualDub doesn't work with MOV, you'd need to find a plugin for MOV
    support. I have never tried this way so I don't know how well that
    works.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    In article <M%Ize.207040$El.23596@pd7tw1no>,
    dirtredpooll@something.something (Dirty Redpool) wrote:

    > There's a free program put there called VirtualDub.

    Virtualdub works well with the avi files from my Canon S1, but it doesn't
    like .mov files unfortunately. At least, it didn't when I tried. I may be
    missing a trick though.

    Andrew McP

Cameras Video Peripherals