I filmed video clip with camera on side.. now the video is..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 30, 2005 10:15:03 PM

Hello,
I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?

thanks!!
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:50:34 AM

<skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>
> thanks!!

With a video editor.
Such as:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com

For home users:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&L...

Or:
Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

Google search for "video Editor":
http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+edit...

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
>> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
>> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
>> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
>> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
>> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>>
>> thanks!!
>
>With a video editor.
>Such as:
>http://www.pinnaclesys.com
>
>For home users:
>http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&L...
>
>Or:
>Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
>
>Google search for "video Editor":
>http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+edit...
>
>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com
Related resources
July 1, 2005 4:13:05 AM

well, yes ... it is called a "video editing program" that you open,
rotate, save the file in.

skydigger123@hotmail.com wrote:
>Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
>Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
>rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|
>

>On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
>wrote:
>
>><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
>>> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
>>> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
>>> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
>>> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
>>> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>>>
>>> thanks!!
>>
>>With a video editor.
>>Such as:
>>http://www.pinnaclesys.com
>>
>>For home users:
>>http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&L...
>>
>>Or:
>>Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
>>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
>>
>>Google search for "video Editor":
>>http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+edit...
>>
>>--
>>CSM1
>>http://www.carlmcmillan.com
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:13:05 AM

Quicktime hacks are easy to find in 5 minutes usually. Just a password you
can borrow and then throw away. Same software for all levels, only the
password is different.

> Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
> Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
> rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|
>

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
> ><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
> >> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
> >> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
> >> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
> >> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
> >> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
> >>
> >> thanks!!
> >
> >With a video editor.
> >Such as:
> >http://www.pinnaclesys.com
> >
> >For home users:
> >http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&L...
> >
> >Or:
> >Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
> >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
> >
> >Google search for "video Editor":
>
>http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+edit...
> >
> >--
> >CSM1
> >http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:22:13 AM

Well... Lesson learned!
Do not turn the camera, except for an intended special effect.

You could turn the TV or monitor on the side. <grin>
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
<skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Oh no, so I have to buy a whole product I'll only ever use once?
> Damn... I was hoping it would be easy to open the video in a program,
> rotate it 90 degrees then re-save it and done... :-|
>

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:50:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
>><skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
>>> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
>>> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
>>> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
>>> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
>>> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>>>
>>> thanks!!
>>
>>With a video editor.
>>Such as:
>>http://www.pinnaclesys.com
>>
>>For home users:
>>http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&L...
>>
>>Or:
>>Apple's QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime player) for Windows.
>>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
>>
>>Google search for "video Editor":
>>http://www.google.com/search?biw=999&hl=en&q=video+edit...
>>
>>--
>>CSM1
>>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:38:08 PM

<skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>
> thanks!!
Try asking in news:alt.comp.freeware I bet they have a solution!
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:11:08 AM

skydigger123@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>
> thanks!!

There's a free program put there called VirtualDub. I was looking though
today and noticed in the video\filters menu that there's a rotate option.
That might do the trick. Google vurtualdub and you should be able to easily
find it.

July 9, 2005 9:11:09 AM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 05:11:08 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>skydigger123@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I didn't realize that holding the camera on it's side (portrait mode)
>> would cause the video to be recorded on it's side. On the camera it
>> looks good, but when dumped to a PC, the .MOV file is sideways so
>> short of having to turn my monitor on the side or bending my head to
>> watch it, any way I can re-orient it so it is normal vertical? Just
>> need to rotate it 90 degrees I guess - but how?
>>
>> thanks!!
>
>There's a free program put there called VirtualDub. I was looking though
>today and noticed in the video\filters menu that there's a rotate option.
>That might do the trick. Google vurtualdub and you should be able to easily
>find it.

VirtualDub doesn't work with MOV, you'd need to find a plugin for MOV
support. I have never tried this way so I don't know how well that
works.
July 9, 2005 11:13:00 AM

In article <M%Ize.207040$El.23596@pd7tw1no>,
dirtredpooll@something.something (Dirty Redpool) wrote:

> There's a free program put there called VirtualDub.

Virtualdub works well with the avi files from my Canon S1, but it doesn't
like .mov files unfortunately. At least, it didn't when I tried. I may be
missing a trick though.

Andrew McP
!