Any thoughts on DivX

what pros and cons are there for this format? I never heard of them until I
came accidentally across them. They really are tooting their horm.

wishy13764@aol.com
> (Wishy13764) wrote in <20050208203655.22265.00000063@mb-m05.aol.com>:
>

> >what pros
> More then fit in this space, but good compression factor at low
bitrates
> is one.
>
> > and cons
> I think only Microsoft is a con.
>
> >came accidentally across them.
> not really by accident, more by a strike of great luck.

good compression but seems to require their player. Some versions of
the divx codecs were listed as spyware.

There is an xvid codec which has good compression rates and will run
from any video player.

On a sunny day (9 Feb 2005 08:16:45 -0800) it happened marks542004@yahoo.com
wrote in <1107965805.819304.273990@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (09 Feb 2005 01:36:55 GMT) it happened
>wishy13764@aol.com
>> (Wishy13764) wrote in <20050208203655.22265.00000063@mb-m05.aol.com>:
>>

>> >what pros
>> More then fit in this space, but good compression factor at low
>bitrates
>> is one.
>>
>> > and cons
>> I think only Microsoft is a con.
>>
>> >came accidentally across them.
>> not really by accident, more by a strike of great luck.
>
>good compression but seems to require their player. Some versions of
>the divx codecs were listed as spyware.
I dunno about that.
As I mainly run Linux, i am 99.99999% sure that these divxdecore are no
spyware:
/root/compile/divx/divx4linux-20011010/libdivxdecore.so
/root/compile/divx/divx4linux-20020418/libdivxdecore.so
/root/compile/divx/divx4linux-20030428/libdivxdecore.so

Also it does NOT need their player.
There is for windows mdvdp12.exe that is no spyware.
In linux xine and mplayer will play DivX.
There is also their own (divx.com) divx player for linux.
On can easily be conned into thinking a Microsoft application
is spyware, as that OS itself is spyware, and will send all sorts of data
about you and your system to MS.
And the MS OS allows all sorts of trojans to grab your PC.
There is a lot of soft for Divx.... both for the MS trojan OS and the
absolutely perfect future is now Linux system ;-)
Actually I think Iran uses MS soft in their nuclear reseach facilities ;-)
Probably the reason why GWB wants to bomb it.

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> On a sunny day (9 Feb 2005 08:16:45 -0800) it happened marks542004@yahoo.com
> wrote in <1107965805.819304.273990@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:
>
> >good compression but seems to require their player. Some versions of
> >the divx codecs were listed as spyware.
> I dunno about that.
> As I mainly run Linux, i am 99.99999% sure that these divxdecore are no
> spyware:
> /root/compile/divx/divx4linux-20011010/libdivxdecore.so
> /root/compile/divx/divx4linux-20020418/libdivxdecore.so
> /root/compile/divx/divx4linux-20030428/libdivxdecore.so
>
> Also it does NOT need their player.
> There is for windows mdvdp12.exe that is no spyware.
> In linux xine and mplayer will play DivX.
> There is also their own (divx.com) divx player for linux.
> On can easily be conned into thinking a Microsoft application
> is spyware, as that OS itself is spyware, and will send all sorts of data
> about you and your system to MS.
> And the MS OS allows all sorts of trojans to grab your PC.
> There is a lot of soft for Divx.... both for the MS trojan OS and the
> absolutely perfect future is now Linux system ;-)

Don't forget about ffdshow.

Wilbert

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

In the faraway land of rec.video.desktop, marks542004@yahoo.com said:
>good compression but seems to require their player.

You have to download the player as part of the bundle but you don't have
to use it, and in fact it's a completely useless thing as it *only*
plays DivX stuff and not other AVI's - what's the point of that? It
seems to be no more than an exercise in branding.

> Some versions of
>the divx codecs were listed as spyware.

There are (or were) three versions - limited free version, paid for
version with extra features, or version with adware instead of paying.
I would just got the free version, though now I use XviD instead.

All of this only applies if you want to encode using DivX - if you just
want to watch DivX videos, you're better off getting the ffdshow codec
since it plays everything else too, saving you doing multiple downloads
for different codecs.

Good, fast, cheap! - Pick any two.
Take a break at the Last Stop Cafe: http://www.xerez.demon.co.uk/
Reply-to address for email: mailreply AT xerez.demon.co.uk

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:59:01 +0000, Shez
<UseReplyAddress@nospam.uk.invalid> wrote:

>You have to download the player as part of the bundle but you don't have
>to use it, and in fact it's a completely useless thing as it *only*
>plays DivX stuff and not other AVI's - what's the point of that? It
>seems to be no more than an exercise in branding.

You have to download the installation files. But you don't have to
install it.

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:59:01 +0000, Shez
> <UseReplyAddress@nospam.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>You have to download the player as part of the bundle but you don't have
>>to use it, and in fact it's a completely useless thing as it *only*
>>plays DivX stuff and not other AVI's - what's the point of that? It
>>seems to be no more than an exercise in branding.
>
> You have to download the installation files. But you don't have to
> install it.

Actually the Divx player is the only one that properly plays those
downloaded TV episodes in divx/avi whatever when using the TV out, so I'd
say it's pretty handy. YMMV....

Kill Bill <a@b.c> wrote:

> Actually the Divx player is the only one that properly plays those
> downloaded TV episodes in divx/avi whatever when using the TV out, so I'd
> say it's pretty handy. YMMV....

You mean besides VLC, Classic Media Player, Zoom Player, BSPlayer and a slew
of others I can't remember the names of right now?

I output from my laptop to a tv all the time via the s-vid port. Rarely are
there any probs. Nex

"Alan Pollock" <nex@nopanix.com> wrote in message
> Kill Bill <a@b.c> wrote:
>

>> Actually the Divx player is the only one that properly plays those
>> downloaded TV episodes in divx/avi whatever when using the TV out, so I'd
>> say it's pretty handy. YMMV....
>

> You mean besides VLC, Classic Media Player, Zoom Player, BSPlayer and a
> slew
> of others I can't remember the names of right now?
>
> I output from my laptop to a tv all the time via the s-vid port. Rarely
> are
> there any probs. Nex

Obviously I meant out of what's currently installed on my machine. I
already have 4 or 5 media players, I don't need to install 6 more. Thanks
for the info....sheesh

Kill Bill <a@b.c> wrote:

> "Alan Pollock" <nex@nopanix.com> wrote in message
> > Kill Bill <a@b.c> wrote:
> >

> >> Actually the Divx player is the only one that properly plays those
> >> downloaded TV episodes in divx/avi whatever when using the TV out, so I'd
> >> say it's pretty handy. YMMV....
> >

> > You mean besides VLC, Classic Media Player, Zoom Player, BSPlayer and a
> > slew
> > of others I can't remember the names of right now?
> >
> > I output from my laptop to a tv all the time via the s-vid port. Rarely
> > are
> > there any probs. Nex

> Obviously I meant out of what's currently installed on my machine. I
> already have 4 or 5 media players, I don't need to install 6 more. Thanks
> for the info....sheesh

I can see where you got your name. Nex