Remote Desktop Connections Suddenly Lost

January 8, 2005 12:19:04 PM

Hi there. I am trying to connect to a few of our computers at remote sites
via Remote Desktop. I have the IP addresses and have verified them with DHCP
on the server and by pinging the computer's names. There are three computers
I have found problems with in the past week; I do not know how many there
are. I do know that not all of them suffer from this problem. Anyway,
although I have been able to remotely connect to these computers in the past
via Remote Desktop, I am no longer able to. If I look on the network, I can
see the computers connected. I can ping the computer's name and get an IP
address... I can also see their leases, as I mentioned previously, in DHCP.
But when I try to ping them, I get "Request timed out". They experience no
problems with the Internet, accessing their files on remote servers, or
anything that would even suggest they might not be connected to the rest of
the network; they clearly ARE connected. I just can't reach them. I have
checked and re-checked the Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop connection
settings. I can't find anything wrong. And as I believe I mentioned, I was
able to connect to these clients previously; this problem has only reared its
ugly head in the past week or so. Some of my other staff have tried as well.
they have uncovered other clients we are unable to connnect with. It's
becoming an epidemic. because we have so many remote locations, it is
essential that we be able to perform many tasks from our desktops. Has
anyone else experienced anything like this? It's almost like a slow
disintegration of the Remote Desktop functionality. Any and all advice would
be appreciated!

TIA!
~CJ
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:03:31 PM

CJ wrote:
> Hi there. I am trying to connect to a few of our computers at remote
> sites via Remote Desktop. I have the IP addresses and have verified
> them with DHCP on the server and by pinging the computer's names.
> There are three computers I have found problems with in the past
> week; I do not know how many there are. I do know that not all of
> them suffer from this problem. Anyway, although I have been able to
> remotely connect to these computers in the past via Remote Desktop, I
> am no longer able to. If I look on the network, I can see the
> computers connected. I can ping the computer's name and get an IP
> address... I can also see their leases, as I mentioned previously, in
> DHCP. But when I try to ping them, I get "Request timed out". They
> experience no problems with the Internet, accessing their files on
> remote servers, or anything that would even suggest they might not be
> connected to the rest of the network; they clearly ARE connected. I
> just can't reach them. I have checked and re-checked the Remote
> Assistance and Remote Desktop connection settings. I can't find
> anything wrong. And as I believe I mentioned, I was able to connect
> to these clients previously; this problem has only reared its ugly
> head in the past week or so. Some of my other staff have tried as
> well. they have uncovered other clients we are unable to connnect
> with. It's becoming an epidemic. because we have so many remote
> locations, it is essential that we be able to perform many tasks from
> our desktops. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It's
> almost like a slow disintegration of the Remote Desktop
> functionality. Any and all advice would be appreciated!
>
> TIA!
> ~CJ

Service Pack 2 enables the Windows Firewall by default - you can allow
exceptions in it if you wish, although enabling Remote Desktop on an
SP2-installed computer allows RD traffic inbound. Don't know if that's
maintained if RD was enabled prior to SP2 install. Has SP2 recently been
rolled out? Any other firewall software running? You ought to be able to
ping the computers & get replies if they aren't behind a firewall that
blocks ICMP....

That said, since you've mentioned that they are remote sites, how are you
connected to those sites from your network? VPN?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:45:02 AM

You'll also want to do a reboot periodically, like maybe every week.

"CJ" wrote:

> Hi there. I am trying to connect to a few of our computers at remote sites
> via Remote Desktop. I have the IP addresses and have verified them with DHCP
> on the server and by pinging the computer's names. There are three computers
> I have found problems with in the past week; I do not know how many there
> are. I do know that not all of them suffer from this problem. Anyway,
> although I have been able to remotely connect to these computers in the past
> via Remote Desktop, I am no longer able to. If I look on the network, I can
> see the computers connected. I can ping the computer's name and get an IP
> address... I can also see their leases, as I mentioned previously, in DHCP.
> But when I try to ping them, I get "Request timed out". They experience no
> problems with the Internet, accessing their files on remote servers, or
> anything that would even suggest they might not be connected to the rest of
> the network; they clearly ARE connected. I just can't reach them. I have
> checked and re-checked the Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop connection
> settings. I can't find anything wrong. And as I believe I mentioned, I was
> able to connect to these clients previously; this problem has only reared its
> ugly head in the past week or so. Some of my other staff have tried as well.
> they have uncovered other clients we are unable to connnect with. It's
> becoming an epidemic. because we have so many remote locations, it is
> essential that we be able to perform many tasks from our desktops. Has
> anyone else experienced anything like this? It's almost like a slow
> disintegration of the Remote Desktop functionality. Any and all advice would
> be appreciated!
>
> TIA!
> ~CJ
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:38:57 PM

Try rolling back termsrv.dll in the systm32 directory. It fixed the problem
for me.

The one I went back to came with SP1. 196K dated 8/29/02.

HTH,

Chad

!