Vegas 4 hangs and then shuts down when trying to open

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2005 1:25:09 AM

Hi

I recently bought a Win TV Go 700 video capture card, to convert all
my old video cassettes to DVD. I've loaded the latest drivers for the
card - the ones on the CD are older ones. The card comes with Arcsoft
Showbiz software bundled. Its OK, but lacks flexibility. So I'm
looking round for options. I tried Adobe Premiere and don't like it at
all. Same with Ulead stuff. I've been told that Vegas is quite good
and a friend has Vegas 4 with DVD Architect 1.0. I want to install it
temporarily on my own PC - his is hugely powerful so I can't really
compare the performance. But when I try to startup Vegas it wants the
serial number every time and then hangs halfway through opening with
the following error message "app name: vegas40.exe appver: 4.0.0.115
Mod name: hcwsolocap.ax mod ver 1.6.19145.0 offset 000e638". I presume
that this is Windows XP way of saying it doesn't like Vegas 4, but I'm
not going to buy software before testing it and I'm seriously worried
about buying software that doesn't want to load to my PC.

Has anybody got any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

Regards

Sandy

More about : vegas hangs shuts open

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:43:49 AM

"Sandy Forsyth" <forsythfamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I recently bought a Win TV Go 700 video capture card, to convert all
> my old video cassettes to DVD. I've loaded the latest drivers for the
> card - the ones on the CD are older ones. The card comes with Arcsoft
> Showbiz software bundled. Its OK, but lacks flexibility. So I'm
> looking round for options. I tried Adobe Premiere and don't like it at
> all. Same with Ulead stuff. I've been told that Vegas is quite good
> and a friend has Vegas 4 with DVD Architect 1.0. I want to install it
> temporarily on my own PC -

That is not allowed. Sonic Foundary, now Sony, is very good at this.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:43:27 AM

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message news:<110jja532l5m5c7@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Sandy Forsyth" <forsythfamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I recently bought a Win TV Go 700 video capture card, to convert all
> > my old video cassettes to DVD. I've loaded the latest drivers for the
> > card - the ones on the CD are older ones. The card comes with Arcsoft
> > Showbiz software bundled. Its OK, but lacks flexibility. So I'm
> > looking round for options. I tried Adobe Premiere and don't like it at
> > all. Same with Ulead stuff. I've been told that Vegas is quite good
> > and a friend has Vegas 4 with DVD Architect 1.0. I want to install it
> > temporarily on my own PC -
>
> That is not allowed. Sonic Foundary, now Sony, is very good at this.

What isn't allowed? Is this some sort of wierd licensing issue?
February 9, 2005 1:48:55 PM

> "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
>> "Sandy Forsyth" <forsythfamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I recently bought a Win TV Go 700 video capture card, to convert all
>> > my old video cassettes to DVD. I've loaded the latest drivers for the
>> > card - the ones on the CD are older ones. The card comes with Arcsoft
>> > Showbiz software bundled. Its OK, but lacks flexibility. So I'm
>> > looking round for options. I tried Adobe Premiere and don't like it at
>> > all. Same with Ulead stuff. I've been told that Vegas is quite good
>> > and a friend has Vegas 4 with DVD Architect 1.0. I want to install it
>> > temporarily on my own PC -
>>
>> That is not allowed. Sonic Foundary, now Sony, is very good at this.
>
> What isn't allowed? Is this some sort of wierd licensing issue?

It is not so weird. Sony just wants to protect itself against unpaid for
installations. Go here and download the trial.
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showprod...

That will work and is legal. If you like the software, buy it. I love it.

Steve King
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:35:15 PM

"Steve King" <steve@45steveking57.net> wrote in message news:<0Jadnej0jtFoo5ffRVn-iw@comcast.com>...
> "Sandy Forsyth" <forsythfamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> >> "Sandy Forsyth" <forsythfamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> >> That is not allowed. Sonic Foundary, now Sony, is very good at this.
> >
> > What isn't allowed? Is this some sort of wierd licensing issue?
>
> It is not so weird. Sony just wants to protect itself against unpaid for
> installations. Go here and download the trial.
> http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showprod...
>
> That will work and is legal. If you like the software, buy it. I love it.
>
> Steve King

Hi Steve

I should have mentioned in my last follow up that after I picked up
the problem, I uninstalled vegas, deleted all the registry entries and
the folders and reinstalled it to run as a demo and still got the same
problem. Why would this be? I wanted to try vegas 4 rather than 5 as I
have heard that there are problems synchronising audio and video on 5.
Can you comment?

Sandy

Sandy
February 9, 2005 7:50:05 PM

Regardless it should go into demo mode without the serial key. Which allows
plenty of try out use. Try the latest version 4e which you can download at
the Sony site. I got this problem with V4- it would hang on the splash
screen. It occured after I spent some time trying out a variety of media
related demos (unrelated to Vegas)- I had to resort to using system restore
to be able to boot Vegas again, but even then boot hangs were occasional
until I did a fresh install of the OS. Can't remember what the offending
program might have been.

> That is not allowed. Sonic Foundary, now Sony, is very good at this.

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:19:31 PM

> I should have mentioned in my last follow up that after I picked up
> the problem, I uninstalled vegas, deleted all the registry entries and
> the folders and reinstalled it to run as a demo and still got the same
> problem. Why would this be? I wanted to try vegas 4 rather than 5 as I
> have heard that there are problems synchronising audio and video on 5.
> Can you comment?
>
> Sandy
>
> Sandy

Nope. Got me. Vegas 4.0 and Vegas 5.0 installed seamlessly on my generic
PC.

Steve
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:09:15 PM

In article <1brOd.342003$Xk.247659@pd7tw3no>, reply2group@thanks.zzz
says...
> Subject: Re: Vegas 4 hangs and then shuts down when trying to open
> From: "terry" <reply2group@thanks.zzz>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>

> Regardless it should go into demo mode without the serial key. Which allows
> plenty of try out use. Try the latest version 4e which you can download at
> the Sony site. I got this problem with V4- it would hang on the splash
> screen. It occured after I spent some time trying out a variety of media
> related demos (unrelated to Vegas)- I had to resort to using system restore
> to be able to boot Vegas again, but even then boot hangs were occasional
> until I did a fresh install of the OS. Can't remember what the offending
> program might have been.

Maybe if you enter the serial key on a second installation and Sony is
using some sort of call home XP/Quicken style activation, it would
create exactly this situation.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Forums/ShowMessag...

I found this thread which details a similar problem with Acid.

quote from link:
This did not fix the problem as my Terminal Services are already started. I
continue to have the same problem. I've looked at the error report that XP
creates and it's conflicting with hcwsolocap.ax (A Hauppauge Computer Works
http://www.hauppauge.com)Video Capture Source for PVR. Well, I found a
temporary fix, just rename that file hcwsolocap.ax to hcwsolocap.ax.bak
(Renamed it as I do not know the importance of this file....guess I'll need
to switch it back when I need to video capture.) Oh well, at least now I can
play with the demo and decide if it's worth the upgrade. :)

Thank you,
-CokoBorg

!