how to transfer vhs to dvd ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 9, 2005 8:14:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Hello,

What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?

Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?

Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
make the transfer.

Thanks,

Mario

More about : transfer vhs dvd

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:01:30 PM

In article <42dfc0c5.0502090514.401442dc@posting.google.com>,
marmagi@gmail.com says...

>Hello,
>
>What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>
>Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
>easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>
>Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
>make the transfer.

Lots of packages out there that come bundled with either the capture
board or the DVD burner. Two I use are NEOStudio, wihc comes with the
Avermedia EZDVD PCI capture board. The other is NERO Express wihch comes
with the LITE-ON DVD burner. I find the NEOStudio better for capturing
and the NERO better for authoring. However, if I want to get really high
quality then one goes off into the impenetrable forest of suc things as
Virtual Dub, TMPGEnc and the like. The bundled packages do it all for you
but unless you have a very high quality system, i.e., multi gigahertz
CPU, they drop frames like mad and the result is herky jerky video with
poor sound quality.

To use the AVERMedia suite you need an AGP video card, a separate sound
card and at least 1.3 GHz CPU.

The problem with the bundled packages is they try to do it all at once
which makes it convenient for the user. But your computer is trying to
capture the analog signal audio and video streams from the VHS and at the
same time convert those streams from analog to digital and then encode
the streams and burn them onto the DVD disk. Quite simply, the system
chokes. And it still takes a long time.

My preference is to first capture the audio and video streams as a
lossless compressed AVI. This makes for huge, huge files but they contain
all the information that was in the original VHS video. Then you can
manipulate those AVIO files anyway you want knowing that you are going to
get the best possible quality in the final outcome.

Doesn't matter much for birthday parties and such and I have converted a
lot of those into very acceptable DVDs. But I am also trying to convert
operas taped off the air and maintain the quality of the original tapes.
That is quite something else.

This is a long learning process with a very steep learning curve once you
step off the path of bundled software.
February 9, 2005 5:28:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Buy: ADAPTEC AVC-2210 VIDEO CONVERTER DVD/USB KIT

with it comes the software you'll need to make DVD's.

Waldo

"Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hello,
>
> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>
> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>
> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
> make the transfer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario
February 9, 2005 8:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

It really depends on what you actually want. If you simply want your VHS
tapes as they are on DVD with simple menus or none at all a stand-alone DVD
recorder is just right for you. If you are wanting to edit the video
beforehand, then add personalized menus and chapter points the suggestions
of the other forum members are good choices.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>
> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>
> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
> make the transfer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:27:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>
> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>
> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
> make the transfer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario

You go to a store and you buy a DVD recorder and you hook up your VCR into
it. You'll save an enormous amount of time and of headaches. Use your burner
if you want to make copies after that.

RAT
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:02:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Hmm.. as for the USB video converter, I was always under the impression that
USB cannot transfer data fast enough to properly capture video.

"Waldo" <drwaldos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Buy: ADAPTEC AVC-2210 VIDEO CONVERTER DVD/USB KIT
>
> with it comes the software you'll need to make DVD's.
>
> Waldo
>

> "Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Hello,
>>
>> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>>
>> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
>> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>>
>> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
>> make the transfer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mario

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:25:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Wrong. Most of the new capture devices (outboard) are USB.

Regards,

Marv

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> Hmm.. as for the USB video converter, I was always under the impression that
> USB cannot transfer data fast enough to properly capture video.
>
> "Waldo" <drwaldos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Buy: ADAPTEC AVC-2210 VIDEO CONVERTER DVD/USB KIT
>>
>> with it comes the software you'll need to make DVD's.
>>
>> Waldo
>>

>>"Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>>>
>>>Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
>>>easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>>>
>>>Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
>>>make the transfer.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Mario

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

USB 2.0 can. Pinnacle LE 6.0 PRO comes with a box that captures and
monitors via USB 2.0. USB 1.0, on the other hand, is too slow.

Ciao,
-- Roberto

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> Hmm.. as for the USB video converter, I was always under the impression that
> USB cannot transfer data fast enough to properly capture video.
>
> "Waldo" <drwaldos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Buy: ADAPTEC AVC-2210 VIDEO CONVERTER DVD/USB KIT
> >
> > with it comes the software you'll need to make DVD's.
> >
> > "Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
> >>
> >> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
> >> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
> >>
> >> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
> >> make the transfer.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:07:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

USB 1.1 was iffy at times, USB 2 is plenty fast enough for video data
transfer..in fact its roughly equivalent to firewire.

"Mike Beauchamp" <news@mikebeauchamp.com> wrote in message
> Hmm.. as for the USB video converter, I was always under the impression
that
> USB cannot transfer data fast enough to properly capture video.
>
> "Waldo" <drwaldos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Buy: ADAPTEC AVC-2210 VIDEO CONVERTER DVD/USB KIT
> >
> > with it comes the software you'll need to make DVD's.
> >
> > Waldo
> >

> > "Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
> >>
> >> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
> >> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
> >>
> >> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
> >> make the transfer.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Mario

February 10, 2005 10:52:18 PM

"Rattus the RAT" <rats_and_guns_n_rosesREMOVE-THIS@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>>
>> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
>> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>>
>> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
>> make the transfer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mario
>
>You go to a store and you buy a DVD recorder and you hook up your VCR into
>it. You'll save an enormous amount of time and of headaches. Use your burner
>if you want to make copies after that.
>
>RAT

He's right!
Using a DVD recorder says time and effect. Less to learn and is
realiable.

Regards Brian
February 10, 2005 11:26:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Easiest, quickest and possibly the cheapest is to buy a settop DVD recorder.
Wont give you fancy menus and probably limited editting but after finishing
you have something to record future stuff direct to DVD.

"Mario" <marmagi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> What is the easiest way to transfer a VHS to a DVD ?
>
> Having a VHS player, a PC with DVD burner, what do I need in order to
> easily transfer a VHS tape into a DVD ?
>
> Please tell me what hardware brand/model and software do I need to
> make the transfer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:35:05 AM

In article <cuf25m$tug$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Daver
<jbrockley@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Easiest, quickest and possibly the cheapest is to buy a settop
>DVD recorder. Wont give you fancy menus and probably limited
>editting but after finishing you have something to record future
>stuff direct to DVD.

I do this but use +RW on the DVD recorder. That way I can set it
up overnight to record 4 hours at a stretch - typically films
from TCM - and then split them into pieces on the set-top, then
take the disk to my computer and record in ISO image mode using
DVDDecrypter.

On TVs shows that need commericals edited out, I take the DVD
to the computer, use DVDDecryptor in filemode [ or sometimes IFO
mode ] and take the results into VideoRedo as it does a good job
of editing mpegs directly and saving them out edited with no
re-encoding.

On some films I will also bring them in and then use VideoReDo
and TDA to give me a standalone film with just the title that will
wait until I want to hit play - but with chapters added but
with chapter thumbnails not showing.

On other things I bring the video into the computer via
a firewire connection to a Canopus.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:14:15 PM

phkmn2000@yahoo.com wrote:
> What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
> scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?

The DVD recorder won't allow you to copy it. Simple as that.

Mike
February 20, 2005 4:49:29 PM

phkmn2000@yahoo.com wrote:

>What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
>scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?

There was a lot of information on the internet about the effects of
"macrovision" a few years back. Try www.google.com and use
'macrovision information' as key words.
Far as I know macrovision is a signal that's mixed with the video
signal to cause problems with video recorders.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:49:30 PM

phkmn2000wrote:
> What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy
> protection scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?

If the DVD recorder is designed to detect Macrovision
(and I suspect most are), then it will refuse to record.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:28:58 PM

> phkmn2000wrote:
>> What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
>> scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?
>
> If the DVD recorder is designed to detect Macrovision
> (and I suspect most are), then it will refuse to record.

If I remember correctly (and I often don't!), Macrovision isn't so much a
setting to be detected but, rather, a degradation of part of the video
signal. TVs can cope with it, but VCRs can't; they need this part of the
signal full strength. That's why you can play Macrovision tapes OK on
most TVs, but can't record the tape on another VCR. If I'm correct (I
could be wrong!), then it isn't so much a question of the DVD recorder
detecting something and refusing to record but, rather, its ability or
inability to handle the degraded portion of the video signal. I suspect
the DVD recorder will run when you try to copy a Macrovision tape, but the
results may be unwatchable.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's tried it. What did the
recorded DVD image look like when trying to copy a commercial
copy-protected VHS tape?

-- Bill McC.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:27:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a copyrighted tape, it
gives me a message and won't record anything. If I try to copy VCR to VCR
the picture does repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There must
be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.

Carol
--
C and A Bredt
"Bill McCutcheon" <wjmccn@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> phkmn2000wrote:
>>> What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
>>> scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?
>>
>> If the DVD recorder is designed to detect Macrovision
>> (and I suspect most are), then it will refuse to record.
>
> If I remember correctly (and I often don't!), Macrovision isn't so much a
> setting to be detected but, rather, a degradation of part of the video
> signal. TVs can cope with it, but VCRs can't; they need this part of the
> signal full strength. That's why you can play Macrovision tapes OK on
> most TVs, but can't record the tape on another VCR. If I'm correct (I
> could be wrong!), then it isn't so much a question of the DVD recorder
> detecting something and refusing to record but, rather, its ability or
> inability to handle the degraded portion of the video signal. I suspect
> the DVD recorder will run when you try to copy a Macrovision tape, but the
> results may be unwatchable.
>
> I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's tried it. What did the
> recorded DVD image look like when trying to copy a commercial
> copy-protected VHS tape?
>
> -- Bill McC.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:27:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Carol and Allen Bredt" wrote ...
>I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a
> copyrighted tape, it gives me a message and won't record
> anything. If I try to copy VCR to VCR the picture does
> repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There must
> be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.

That "something" is called Macrovision.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:59:54 AM

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a copyrighted tape,
>it gives me a message and won't record anything. If I try to copy VCR to
>VCR the picture does repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There
>must be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.
>
> Carol
> --
> C and A Bredt

I guessed wrong about how the DVD recorder would react ... not a big
surprise! Thanks, Carol, for satisfying my curiosity and setting me
straight.
-- Bill McC.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:10:21 AM

In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Jan Panteltje wrote :

>For some dollars you can buy a 'macro vision remover'.

Recommendations, anybody?
--
Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett
February 21, 2005 2:41:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Bill McCutcheon" <wjmccn@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> phkmn2000wrote:
>>> What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
>>> scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?
>>
>> If the DVD recorder is designed to detect Macrovision
>> (and I suspect most are), then it will refuse to record.
>
>If I remember correctly (and I often don't!), Macrovision isn't so much a
>setting to be detected but, rather, a degradation of part of the video
>signal. TVs can cope with it, but VCRs can't; they need this part of the
>signal full strength. That's why you can play Macrovision tapes OK on
>most TVs, but can't record the tape on another VCR. If I'm correct (I
>could be wrong!), then it isn't so much a question of the DVD recorder
>detecting something and refusing to record but, rather, its ability or
>inability to handle the degraded portion of the video signal. I suspect
>the DVD recorder will run when you try to copy a Macrovision tape, but the
>results may be unwatchable.
>
>I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's tried it. What did the
>recorded DVD image look like when trying to copy a commercial
>copy-protected VHS tape?
>
>-- Bill McC.

I tried to back up a VHS tape a few years back and the recorded
picture changes to several brighness levels and every few seconds that
picture breaks up or rolls just like a video tape that has had many
generations of being copied.

If you are really keen you can setup a video camera to record off the
TV screen. You need to experiment with different speeds on the camera.
There is a problem of the picture being too bright or too dark at
times.

These days if it's an old program from TV then chances are that you
can buy it cheap on DVD. Even old programs like The Beverley
hillbillies, Green Acres, Steptoe and Son are available on DVD.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:23:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:10:21 +0000) it happened Paul Hyett
<pah@nojunkmailplease.co.uk> wrote in <0bJrSDCdlYGCFwlB@activist.demon.co.uk>:

>In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Jan Panteltje wrote :
>
>>For some dollars you can buy a 'macro vision remover'.
>
>Recommendations, anybody?
I could sell you mine, as I no longer use it (no more VHS), but that would
perhaps get me sued and all that.
I'd get the cheapest one you can find, maybe 20 $ or so, dunno.
I have seen them from 16 UK pounds to 167 $.
The parts in mine are worth maybe 10$
So 167 $ seems a bit on the high side ;-)
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:35:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Sima Pro SCC-2

"Paul Hyett" <pah@nojunkmailplease.co.uk> wrote in message
> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Jan Panteltje wrote :
>
> >For some dollars you can buy a 'macro vision remover'.
>
> Recommendations, anybody?
> --
> Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Macrovision is a process that upsets vertical sync with an added pulse
(I think this is correct). It can be defeated by inserting a video
stabilizer between the VHS machine and the computer (or second VHS).

Regards,

Marv

Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a copyrighted tape, it
> gives me a message and won't record anything. If I try to copy VCR to VCR
> the picture does repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There must
> be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.
>
> Carol
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:50:43 AM

"Marv Soloff" <msoloff@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:D HrSd.256356$w62.84453@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Macrovision is a process that upsets vertical sync with an added pulse (I
> think this is correct). It can be defeated by inserting a video
> stabilizer between the VHS machine and the computer (or second VHS).
>
> Regards,
>
> Marv
>
> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a copyrighted tape,
>> it gives me a message and won't record anything. If I try to copy VCR to
>> VCR the picture does repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There
>> must be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.
>>
>> Carol

=========================

To the best of my knowledge Macrovision is a trade name for a
copy-protection outfit that uses various technologies to copy-protect (NOT
copyright!) video tape recordings (VHS or Beta) and DVD's. I'm not technical
enough to know the details of how its done but something is transmitted in
the playback signal that interferes with subsequent recording attempts.
Macrovision 1 puts light and dark flutter in the video, Macrovision 2 put
vertical green lines in. Recently I had a VHS tape that copied perfectly ...
but with no sound.

These phenomena can be removed with a suitable video stabilizer. I prefer
the Sima SCC-2. Notice that the manufacturer will not advertise the
copy-protection virtues of their machine because using it for that purpose,
other than for your own personal use, is illegal. The Sima SCC-2, costing
about $140, removes Macro 1 and 2. Look out for cheaper models for they may
remove only Macro 1 ... the more recent standard is Macro 2.

Macrovision have just announced the equivalent of Mark lll. I don't know how
it protects or whether Sima SCC-2 will remove it. Macrovision claim that it
will get by 97% of the current copy-protection defeaters out there.

Last thing. most DVD recorders in the USA market have a chip in them that
recognizes a copy-protection signal and shuts out recording. You can defeat
this currently with the SCC-2 placed between the playing medium and the
recorder IN. If you have a VHS-DVD recorder however you are out of luck
internally copying copy-protected media ... you must use an external source
and a video stabilizer.

Most of the rules in this area, in the USA, have been promulgated by the
Federal Government to satisfy the commercial recording lobby who are
ultimately responsible for the current sad state of affairs. Like I said at
the beginning, the foregoing is to the best of my knowledge. I'd welcome
comment. Denzil.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:27:21 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
<abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

>I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a copyrighted tape, it
>gives me a message and won't record anything. If I try to copy VCR to VCR
>the picture does repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There must
>be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.

I have a Panasonic VCR/DVDR that will copy many (more than 50%) of the
commercial tapes I own. I don't believe it's actually looking for the
Macrovision, but rather the "Do Not Copy" flag, which I read somewhere
the studios have to pay to use. I think it's unlikely that some of the
tapes it will copy, including films like MIB and Twister, don't have
Macrovision. But someday I'll have to try copying them on another VCR
to check for sure.

-
-Jon Purkey - <jonpurkey@aol.com)
February 22, 2005 5:50:54 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:41:24 +1300, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>If you are really keen you can setup a video camera to record off the
>TV screen. You need to experiment with different speeds on the camera.
>There is a problem of the picture being too bright or too dark at
>times.

You should be able to record the audio though with a direct
connection. It's not protected. Trying to record the audio with the
mic in the camera would not produce a good result.

-
-Jon Purkey - <jonpurkey@aol.com)
February 24, 2005 1:38:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Will that work with copy protected vhs tapes? I have some OOP vhs tapes
that are not available on dvd either.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:33:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Actually, none of the 3 BetaMax machines I owned "ignored" Macrovision
(or CopyGuard, either). It affected the recorded picture exactly the
same way it affected pictures recorded on my VHS and U-Matic machines.
Nor did any of my VHS and U-Matic machines "ignore" the Macrovision on
BetaMax tapes. You may have had "hacked" machines or models intended
for non-USA markets.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:45:01 PM

In article <4LzSd.109373$mt.73637@fed1read03>,
Denzil Hathway <hathway@cox.net> wrote:

>"Marv Soloff" <msoloff@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>news:D HrSd.256356$w62.84453@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Macrovision is a process that upsets vertical sync with an added pulse (I
>> think this is correct). It can be defeated by inserting a video
>> stabilizer between the VHS machine and the computer (or second VHS).

>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD Recorder. If I try to copy a copyrighted tape,
>>> it gives me a message and won't record anything. If I try to copy VCR to
>>> VCR the picture does repeated vertical up-frames every few seconds. There
>>> must be something in the signal that affects the VCR but not the TV.

>=========================

>To the best of my knowledge Macrovision is a trade name for
>a copy-protection outfit that uses various technologies to
>copy-protect (NOT copyright!) video tape recordings (VHS or Beta)
>and DVD's.

Actually Beta ignored the Macrovision on VHS tapes. I don't know
if there ever was an effective version of Macrovision for Beta, but
by the time MV became widely used Beta was a minor player in
the US rental market.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
Anonymous

"Bill Vermillion" <bv@wjv.com> wrote in message news:ICFo0n.2213@wjv.com...
> In article <4LzSd.109373$mt.73637@fed1read03>,
> Denzil Hathway <hathway@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>"Marv Soloff" <msoloff@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>news:D HrSd.256356$w62.84453@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>> Macrovision is a process that upsets vertical sync with an added pulse
>>> (I
>>> think this is correct). It can be defeated by inserting a video
>>> stabilizer between the VHS machine and the computer (or second VHS).

>>=========================
>
>>To the best of my knowledge Macrovision is a trade name for
>>a copy-protection outfit that uses various technologies to
>>copy-protect (NOT copyright!) video tape recordings (VHS or Beta)
>>and DVD's.
>
> Actually Beta ignored the Macrovision on VHS tapes. I don't know
> if there ever was an effective version of Macrovision for Beta, but
> by the time MV became widely used Beta was a minor player in
> the US rental market.
>
> Bill
> --
> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

=================

Yes there was indeed effective copy-protection on some commercially recorded
Beta tapes. I have recently successfully transferred some to DVD, using a
video enhancer. I've never had the need to try to dub copy-protected VHS to
Beta so I don't know if the Beta machine ignores it. I still have a
significant Beta library of classical music, mainly opera ... like hundreds
.... that I am slowly converting to DVD. Denzil.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:04:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

>>What happens to the "macrovision" or whatever that VHS copy protection
>>scheme is when coping VHS to a DVD recorder?

Add Sima Color/Video corrector box in between the two.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:05:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

ADS DVD Xpress USB 2.0 Video Capture Device
Comes with all cables, software needed. (Capwiz, Moviemaker 3, Video Studio
7)
Get it from Tigerdirect.com for $60.00

I use it constantly. Different ways to use it. Has simple one step capture
direct to DVD burner option.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
80965&CatId=1428

!