smaller video format to facilitate prototype editing on a ..

peter

I want to bring 6 hours' worth of video to a client's place on a laptop,
edit the video according to his likings, then come back and produce the
video for real.

It would be nice if I can compress the original DV video into an another
format that uses less space and is faster to edit/render and can be edited
in premiere. Quality is not critical; all that is needed is being able to
see where the cuts occur and the transitions. I have 60G on my laptop. I
also have an external USB drive, but would rather not lug it around.

Any suggestions on what video format to use for this purpose? I tried an
experiment using premiere by picking a random video codec and specifying a
smaller resolution (320x240) and then encountered an error saying the codec
cannot handle the resolution. I figured instead of trying all the windows'
built-in video codec one by one, maybe I can get results quicker by asking
here.

rs

Well, then don't use the random codec!!!

Not a Premire user, but I would imagine the process to be the same. Use a
different codec. Dunno what you all have but your not limited to Avi, you
could do a WMV or a Mov. I'm sure you must have something there that will
create what basically is a file intended for high bandwidth internet use.

RS wrote:

> Well, then don't use the random codec!!!
>
> Not a Premire user, but I would imagine the process to be the same. Use a
> different codec. Dunno what you all have but your not limited to Avi, you
> could do a WMV or a Mov. I'm sure you must have something there that will
> create what basically is a file intended for high bandwidth internet use.
>
> "peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I want to bring 6 hours' worth of video to a client's place on a laptop,
> > edit the video according to his likings, then come back and produce the
> > video for real.
> >
> > It would be nice if I can compress the original DV video into an another
> > format that uses less space and is faster to edit/render and can be edited
> > in premiere. Quality is not critical; all that is needed is being able to
> > see where the cuts occur and the transitions. I have 60G on my laptop. I
> > also have an external USB drive, but would rather not lug it around.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what video format to use for this purpose? I tried an
> > experiment using premiere by picking a random video codec and specifying a
> > smaller resolution (320x240) and then encountered an error saying the
> codec
> > cannot handle the resolution. I figured instead of trying all the windows'
> > built-in video codec one by one, maybe I can get results quicker by asking
> > here.

I do not know if it is compatable with Premere, but Studio 9 can do a
low resolution capture to save space. You do all your editing, and when
you are ready to finish the project, Studio will re-capture your
original video, skipping the parts that you edited out.

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:11:32 GMT, peter wrote:

> I want to bring 6 hours' worth of video to a client's place on a laptop,
> edit the video according to his likings, then come back and produce the
> video for real.
>
> It would be nice if I can compress the original DV video into an another
> format that uses less space and is faster to edit/render and can be edited
> in premiere. Quality is not critical; all that is needed is being able to
> see where the cuts occur and the transitions. I have 60G on my laptop. I
> also have an external USB drive, but would rather not lug it around.
>
> Any suggestions on what video format to use for this purpose?

I've a smiliar problem. I use Windows Media Video 9 with One-Pass CBR at
100000, simple decoder complexity, fastest performance, frame-rate down
sampling 5:1. But my video is short (several minutes), I don't know if the
performance would be acceptable for a video of 6 hours.

Cristina