Port Forwarding question

January 10, 2005 2:40:27 PM

I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
Both of us are using Linksys routers on cable connections.

After reading posts in this group I think both of us have to open
port 3389 by forwarding port 3389 to the IP address of our respective
computers. For example: forward port 3389 to 192.168.1.100

Is this correct?

But then I saw an old post that confused me. It said:

"To run remote desktop through a router at home you will need to
enable port forwarding. On the source system (The PC you are
controlling FROM) port 3389 must be "port forwarded" to the IP
address of the machine you want to connect TO."

So if I want to control the other computer I need to forward port
3389 to the IP address of the remote computer? I'm starting to
get confused.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:12:02 PM

Get yourself a copy of Beyond Remote at http://www.dataapples.com

It's free for personal use and in addition to it's own remote control
supports terminal services and XP remote desktop.

Mike

"Marc" <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
> Both of us are using Linksys routers on cable connections.
>
> After reading posts in this group I think both of us have to open
> port 3389 by forwarding port 3389 to the IP address of our respective
> computers. For example: forward port 3389 to 192.168.1.100
>
> Is this correct?
>

> But then I saw an old post that confused me. It said:
>
> "To run remote desktop through a router at home you will need to
> enable port forwarding. On the source system (The PC you are
> controlling FROM) port 3389 must be "port forwarded" to the IP
> address of the machine you want to connect TO."
>
> So if I want to control the other computer I need to forward port
> 3389 to the IP address of the remote computer? I'm starting to
> get confused.

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:32:18 PM

Marc <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote:

> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.

You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
Desktop.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

To expand further, since XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host an alternative is UltraVNC
with its encryption plug-in. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in from...Make sure you use
the encryption plug-in if you use this over the public internet. The native VNC data link is not
encrypted...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

For VNC forward/open TCP Port 5900 through the firewall/NAT/router...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Robin Walker [MVP]" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:cruokr$pad$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> Marc <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
>
> You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

January 10, 2005 11:32:19 PM

Robin Walker wrote:
>You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
>Desktop.

Really? But I've tested this out on our home LAN. We've got two
computers hooked up to the Internet through a Linksys cable router.
My computer is running XP Pro while my wife's is running XP Home.
I used Remote Assistance from both directions - hers controlling mine
and mine controlling hers. I sent invitations and the whole shot.

I was practicing with these two computers because I want to control
my father's XP Home computer via the Internet and wanted to see how
it worked.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:32:20 PM

Lastly, use a *STRONG* password...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

news:o omP5T19EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> To expand further, since XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host an alternative is UltraVNC
> with its encryption plug-in. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in from...Make sure you
> use the encryption plug-in if you use this over the public internet. The native VNC data link is
> not encrypted...
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
>
> For VNC forward/open TCP Port 5900 through the firewall/NAT/router...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Robin Walker [MVP]" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:cruokr$pad$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
>> Marc <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
>>
>> You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop.
>>
>> --
>> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
>> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:32:20 PM

Remote Assistance is different that Remote Desktop. XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...

From the FAQ...

Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
differences between these features.

a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at another
computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
files and applications.
b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The
helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.

--

"Marc" <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote in message news:21r5u09g0l7miku8tje1jk5421ifqkd22l@4ax.com...
>I wrote:
>>> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
>
> Robin Walker wrote:
>>You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
>>Desktop.
>

> Really? But I've tested this out on our home LAN. We've got two
> computers hooked up to the Internet through a Linksys cable router.
> My computer is running XP Pro while my wife's is running XP Home.
> I used Remote Assistance from both directions - hers controlling mine
> and mine controlling hers. I sent invitations and the whole shot.
>
> I was practicing with these two computers because I want to control
> my father's XP Home computer via the Internet and wanted to see how
> it worked.

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:32:20 PM

Remote assistance will work. No need to open any ports.
Remote DESKTOP will not. That's what port 3389 is for.

"Marc" <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I wrote:
>>> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
>
> Robin Walker wrote:
>>You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
>>Desktop.
>

> Really? But I've tested this out on our home LAN. We've got two
> computers hooked up to the Internet through a Linksys cable router.
> My computer is running XP Pro while my wife's is running XP Home.
> I used Remote Assistance from both directions - hers controlling mine
> and mine controlling hers. I sent invitations and the whole shot.
>
> I was practicing with these two computers because I want to control
> my father's XP Home computer via the Internet and wanted to see how
> it worked.

January 10, 2005 11:32:21 PM

Demus wrote:
>Remote assistance will work. No need to open any ports.
>Remote DESKTOP will not. That's what port 3389 is for.

Thanks for the help guys. I bought my elderly parents
a computer and went back there at Xmas to set it up.
I installed pcAnywhere on it to help solve any problems
that develop. But I had a login problem (pcAnywhere
asking for a Domain) that I couldn't figure out.

I think I'm going to be able to do everything I wanted
with Remote Assistance.

Testing this here at home I see I can run programs on
the host computer. As long as I can install stuff and
make changes to his settings I'll be all set.

Thanks again.

Oh, by the way Al, is Sooner a reference to the school?
I'm here in So. Calif. and am afraid I was rooting for
the other guys last week. :)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:32:22 PM

Yep... Season ticket holder here at OU... USC certainly played like champions... Congrats...

Thanks goodness spring practice is only 2.5 months away...:-)

--

!