Port Forwarding question

I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
Both of us are using Linksys routers on cable connections.

After reading posts in this group I think both of us have to open
port 3389 by forwarding port 3389 to the IP address of our respective
computers. For example: forward port 3389 to 192.168.1.100

Is this correct?

But then I saw an old post that confused me. It said:

"To run remote desktop through a router at home you will need to
enable port forwarding. On the source system (The PC you are
controlling FROM) port 3389 must be "port forwarded" to the IP
address of the machine you want to connect TO."

So if I want to control the other computer I need to forward port
3389 to the IP address of the remote computer? I'm starting to
get confused.
9 answers Last reply
More about port forwarding question

    Get yourself a copy of Beyond Remote at http://www.dataapples.com

    It's free for personal use and in addition to it's own remote control
    supports terminal services and XP remote desktop.

    Mike

    "Marc" <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
    > Both of us are using Linksys routers on cable connections.
    >
    > After reading posts in this group I think both of us have to open
    > port 3389 by forwarding port 3389 to the IP address of our respective
    > computers. For example: forward port 3389 to 192.168.1.100
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >

    > But then I saw an old post that confused me. It said:
    >
    > "To run remote desktop through a router at home you will need to
    > enable port forwarding. On the source system (The PC you are
    > controlling FROM) port 3389 must be "port forwarded" to the IP
    > address of the machine you want to connect TO."
    >
    > So if I want to control the other computer I need to forward port
    > 3389 to the IP address of the remote computer? I'm starting to
    > get confused.

    Marc <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote:

    > I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.

    You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
    Desktop.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    To expand further, since XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host an alternative is UltraVNC
    with its encryption plug-in. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in from...Make sure you use
    the encryption plug-in if you use this over the public internet. The native VNC data link is not
    encrypted...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    For VNC forward/open TCP Port 5900 through the firewall/NAT/router...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Robin Walker wrote:
    >You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
    >Desktop.

    Really? But I've tested this out on our home LAN. We've got two
    computers hooked up to the Internet through a Linksys cable router.
    My computer is running XP Pro while my wife's is running XP Home.
    I used Remote Assistance from both directions - hers controlling mine
    and mine controlling hers. I sent invitations and the whole shot.

    I was practicing with these two computers because I want to control
    my father's XP Home computer via the Internet and wanted to see how
    it worked.

    Lastly, use a *STRONG* password...

    --

    > To expand further, since XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host an alternative is UltraVNC
    > with its encryption plug-in. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in from...Make sure you
    > use the encryption plug-in if you use this over the public internet. The native VNC data link is
    > not encrypted...
    >
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    >
    > For VNC forward/open TCP Port 5900 through the firewall/NAT/router...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Robin Walker [MVP]" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:cruokr$pad$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
    >> Marc <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
    >>
    >> You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    >> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Remote Assistance is different that Remote Desktop. XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...

    From the FAQ...

    Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
    A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    differences between these features.

    a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at another
    computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    files and applications.
    b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The
    helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.

    --

    "Marc" <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote in message news:21r5u09g0l7miku8tje1jk5421ifqkd22l@4ax.com...
    >I wrote:
    >>> I've got XP Pro and want to control a computer running XP Home.
    >
    > Robin Walker wrote:
    >>You can't do this. XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote
    >>Desktop.
    >

    > Really? But I've tested this out on our home LAN. We've got two
    > computers hooked up to the Internet through a Linksys cable router.
    > My computer is running XP Pro while my wife's is running XP Home.
    > I used Remote Assistance from both directions - hers controlling mine
    > and mine controlling hers. I sent invitations and the whole shot.
    >
    > I was practicing with these two computers because I want to control
    > my father's XP Home computer via the Internet and wanted to see how
    > it worked.

    Remote assistance will work. No need to open any ports.
    Remote DESKTOP will not. That's what port 3389 is for.

    Demus wrote:
    >Remote assistance will work. No need to open any ports.
    >Remote DESKTOP will not. That's what port 3389 is for.

    Thanks for the help guys. I bought my elderly parents
    a computer and went back there at Xmas to set it up.
    I installed pcAnywhere on it to help solve any problems
    that develop. But I had a login problem (pcAnywhere
    asking for a Domain) that I couldn't figure out.

    I think I'm going to be able to do everything I wanted
    with Remote Assistance.

    Testing this here at home I see I can run programs on
    the host computer. As long as I can install stuff and
    make changes to his settings I'll be all set.

    Thanks again.

    Oh, by the way Al, is Sooner a reference to the school?
    I'm here in So. Calif. and am afraid I was rooting for
    the other guys last week. :)
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Yep... Season ticket holder here at OU... USC certainly played like champions... Congrats...

    Thanks goodness spring practice is only 2.5 months away...:-)

    --

    "Marc" <marc@no_spam.invalid> wrote in message news:uiv5u0pi3s94mcmsou7m5s718eculfgv9a@4ax.com...

    > Oh, by the way Al, is Sooner a reference to the school?
    > I'm here in So. Calif. and am afraid I was rooting for
    > the other guys last week. :)

Port Forwarding Windows XP