Ridisc 4X DVD-R G04 no longer works for me?!

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi everyone,

I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with NO
problems... worked a treat.

Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
and all I can make is coasters :-(
Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
the burn process fails at 1%

I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly changing
the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware for
my burner, and everything would be OK.
Well, I did that and evrything's NOT OK - still producing coasters, and
NOTHING has changed on my computer since my previously flawless
results....

Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04 discs...
not fakes.

Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)

Cheers,
C.P.

manicminer1980@NOSPAMyahoo.com
10 answers Last reply
More about ridisc longer works
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Captain Flaps wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with NO
    > problems... worked a treat.
    >
    > Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
    > and all I can make is coasters :-(
    > Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
    > the burn process fails at 1%
    >
    > I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly changing
    > the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware for
    > my burner, and everything would be OK.
    > Well, I did that and evrything's NOT OK - still producing coasters, and
    > NOTHING has changed on my computer since my previously flawless
    > results....
    >
    > Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
    > I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04 discs...
    > not fakes.
    >
    > Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > C.P.
    >
    > manicminer1980@NOSPAMyahoo.com

    There could be a number of possibilities, it could have been a bad
    batch, may have been lower grade discs/rejects being sold as A grade
    product, and it can also be fakes (manufacturer ID/media code can be
    faked as seen with a number of fake TY media). Of course haven't seen
    or played with the specific discs I can't really say what the problem
    is. Btw are these branded discs, silver tops, or overprints?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Captain Flaps" <captainflaps@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with NO
    >problems... worked a treat.
    >
    >Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
    >and all I can make is coasters :-(
    >Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
    >the burn process fails at 1%
    >
    >I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly changing
    >the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware for
    >my burner, and everything would be OK.
    >Well, I did that and evrything's NOT OK - still producing coasters, and
    >NOTHING has changed on my computer since my previously flawless
    >results....
    >
    >Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
    >I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04 discs...
    >not fakes.
    >
    >Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)
    >
    >Cheers,
    >C.P.
    So you're sure it's not the burner?

    Assuming that Ritek knows that they're enjoying a reputation, it would
    seem unlikely that they would jeopardize it by allowing substandard
    discs to reach the marketplace. I'd go with the counterfeit
    explanation. Give them back to the retailer and if he refuses the
    offer, post his name all over the internet (taking care not to go
    beyond the simple truth of your interchange).

    FWIW the last batch of 8x hub-printable Prodisc I got from
    Supermediastore wasn't quite 100%. I expect them to be at least as
    reliable as Ritek, and they too have a bit of a name, esp w/ the
    Pioneer cert.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Captain Flaps" <captainflaps@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with NO
    > problems... worked a treat.
    >
    > Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
    > and all I can make is coasters :-(
    > Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
    > the burn process fails at 1%
    >
    > I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly changing
    > the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware for
    > my burner, and everything would be OK.
    > Well, I did that and evrything's NOT OK - still producing coasters, and
    > NOTHING has changed on my computer since my previously flawless
    > results....
    >
    > Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
    > I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04 discs...
    > not fakes.
    >
    > Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > C.P.

    I don't think the seller has anything to do with the problem, but just
    happen to run into some bad batch. I don't know if any online store
    *besides* the manufacture (haven't tried myself) will refund or exchange the
    bad batch (??). And I wonder how much you save from eBay as I often see
    many people fighting to pay higher price then they can get from many online
    stores.

    I don't pay much attention to Ritek 4X, but 8X you can get 100 for $39,
    and sometime you can get for around $35. I had no problem with Ritek, fine
    with ProDisc, and back to OptoDisc which I pay $25-27 for 100-spindle and
    they burn fine at 12X (this is inkjet pritable, or regular DVD is little
    cheaper).
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Captain Flaps wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with
    NO
    > problems... worked a treat.
    >
    > Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
    > and all I can make is coasters :-(
    > Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
    > the burn process fails at 1%
    >
    > I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly
    changing
    > the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware
    for
    > my burner, and everything would be OK.

    Somehow I doubt that. They got their certification for their disk
    and I doubt they're messing with that (and they're the same purple
    they've
    been too :-).

    > Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
    > I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04
    discs...
    > not fakes.
    >
    > Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)

    Have any leftover disks from a previous batch or some other blank disc
    you can borrow? Seems that a system test might help to see if it's
    just the disks.

    Unless you're getting incredible prices from eBay sellers, I might
    suggest buying from "regular" dealers (assuming the eBay dealer
    isn't -- it may be) where the prices are pretty good anyway. I
    usually use either shop4tech.com or supermediastore.com . I always
    pay the few extra dollars for disc versions that *say* ridata on them.
    I want them to put their reputable name out in the open on the discs
    I use. :-)

    Mike
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    JT wrote:

    > "Captain Flaps" <captainflaps@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi everyone,
    > >
    > >I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with NO
    > >problems... worked a treat.
    > >
    > >Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
    > >and all I can make is coasters :-(
    > >Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
    > >the burn process fails at 1%
    > >
    > >I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly changing
    > >the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware for
    > >my burner, and everything would be OK.
    > >Well, I did that and evrything's NOT OK - still producing coasters, and
    > >NOTHING has changed on my computer since my previously flawless
    > >results....
    > >
    > >Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
    > >I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04 discs...
    > >not fakes.
    > >
    > >Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >C.P.
    > So you're sure it's not the burner?
    >
    > Assuming that Ritek knows that they're enjoying a reputation, it would
    > seem unlikely that they would jeopardize it by allowing substandard
    > discs to reach the marketplace. I'd go with the counterfeit
    > explanation. Give them back to the retailer and if he refuses the
    > offer, post his name all over the internet (taking care not to go
    > beyond the simple truth of your interchange).
    >
    > FWIW the last batch of 8x hub-printable Prodisc I got from
    > Supermediastore wasn't quite 100%. I expect them to be at least as
    > reliable as Ritek, and they too have a bit of a name, esp w/ the
    > Pioneer cert.

    It could be your burner. I bought a bulk back of Ritek/Ridata disc last
    year. They would burn fine in my Sony, but would fail on my NEC (right
    at the end of the burn). I had the NEC replaced under the warrenty and
    the new one (a different Brand) will burn the discs OK. If you know
    someone else with a burner, have him try the media.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net wrote:

    > > FWIW the last batch of 8x hub-printable Prodisc I got from
    > > Supermediastore wasn't quite 100%. I expect them to be at least as
    > > reliable as Ritek, and they too have a bit of a name, esp w/ the
    > > Pioneer cert.
    >
    > It could be your burner. I bought a bulk back of Ritek/Ridata disc last
    > year. They would burn fine in my Sony, but would fail on my NEC (right
    > at the end of the burn). I had the NEC replaced under the warrenty and
    > the new one (a different Brand) will burn the discs OK. If you know
    > someone else with a burner, have him try the media.

    I have similar problem, I burnt several thousands DVDs (many different
    brands) and the old SONY gave 100% (may be 2-3 failed out of nearly 3K).
    And the new NEC 3500AG (?) gave me around 10% failed on Ritek and Prodisc
    (probably bad batch). And it has been doing fine with OptoDisc which I paid
    $26 for 100-spindle (I bought 300 of them about 2 months ago, and about to
    order few hundreds more soon).
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On 10 Feb 2005 12:25:17 -0800, "Anoni Moose" <gewgle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Captain Flaps wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I had been using Ridisc 4X DVD-R's on my Sony DRU 510-AK drive with
    >NO
    >> problems... worked a treat.
    >>
    >> Then I bought 100 of them off an eBay seller with very good feedback,
    >> and all I can make is coasters :-(
    >> Using Nero 6 it burns the 'run-in' then says the burner 'resets' and
    >> the burn process fails at 1%
    >>
    >> I contacted the seller aand he said that Ritek was constantly
    >changing
    >> the dyes on their DVD-R's so I should download the latest firmware
    >for
    >> my burner, and everything would be OK.
    >
    >Somehow I doubt that. They got their certification for their disk
    >and I doubt they're messing with that (and they're the same purple
    >they've
    >been too :-).

    Not any more they aren't.
    Many reports in many forums of bad riteks.

    The last 6 months I've had nothing but troubles with ritek in my
    pioneer 108 drive and now 109 drive.

    The dyes are different. The media is a lot cheaper. The quality is not
    what it once was.

    Tried some ty media. Had limited success with those. Don't play in
    most players. Now trying another brand which I have had success with.

    The riteks that failed worked fine for 2 months then a few did not
    play after playing earlier.

    >> Has anyone else had problems with Ridisc 4X DVD-R's ?
    >> I've checked them with DVDIdentifier, and they *are* Ritek G04
    >discs...
    >> not fakes.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/advice greatly apreciated! :-)
    >

    >Have any leftover disks from a previous batch or some other blank disc
    >you can borrow? Seems that a system test might help to see if it's
    >just the disks.
    >
    >Unless you're getting incredible prices from eBay sellers, I might
    >suggest buying from "regular" dealers (assuming the eBay dealer
    >isn't -- it may be) where the prices are pretty good anyway. I
    >usually use either shop4tech.com or supermediastore.com . I always
    >pay the few extra dollars for disc versions that *say* ridata on them.
    >I want them to put their reputable name out in the open on the discs
    >I use. :-)
    >
    >Mike
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    grant wrote:

    > Not any more they aren't.
    > Many reports in many forums of bad riteks.
    >
    > The last 6 months I've had nothing but troubles with ritek in my
    > pioneer 108 drive and now 109 drive.
    >
    > The dyes are different. The media is a lot cheaper. The quality is
    not
    > what it once was.

    Not good to hear! I just got a new 'batch' of ritek's
    (4X version of DVD-R's). Haven't had any trouble with them
    thus far (I use nero w/verification turned 'on'). I did
    have a verification failure the other day, but it's only
    occasional and so far still rare.

    My burner is, I recall, the Pioneer 106 (4X is it's max),
    while I see you've been "upping" your burner repeatedly.
    Maybe it's speed related and their faster versions don't
    actually work so good, while at "old" 4X speeds they still
    work okay?

    Are you using your faster speeds on burning Riteks, and
    which riteks were you using (out of curiosity ... I've
    been thinking about upgrading to the 109, but would like to
    maintain reliable use of Ritek's if at all possible).

    Mike
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On 11 Feb 2005 11:17:07 -0800, "Anoni Moose" <gewgle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >grant wrote:
    >
    >> Not any more they aren't.
    >> Many reports in many forums of bad riteks.
    >>
    >> The last 6 months I've had nothing but troubles with ritek in my
    >> pioneer 108 drive and now 109 drive.
    >>
    >> The dyes are different. The media is a lot cheaper. The quality is
    >not
    >> what it once was.
    >
    >Not good to hear! I just got a new 'batch' of ritek's
    >(4X version of DVD-R's). Haven't had any trouble with them
    >thus far (I use nero w/verification turned 'on'). I did
    >have a verification failure the other day, but it's only
    >occasional and so far still rare.

    Its the g05 8x on -r and r03 of the +r 8x that are having all the
    troubles.

    >My burner is, I recall, the Pioneer 106 (4X is it's max),
    >while I see you've been "upping" your burner repeatedly.
    >Maybe it's speed related and their faster versions don't
    >actually work so good, while at "old" 4X speeds they still
    >work okay?
    >
    >Are you using your faster speeds on burning Riteks, and
    >which riteks were you using (out of curiosity ... I've
    >been thinking about upgrading to the 109, but would like to
    >maintain reliable use of Ritek's if at all possible).

    I was using the 8x speed discs, mainly -r g05. Tried some +r but +r
    does not like my players where -r does.

    the thing is 4x is been superceded by 8x which are the shockers.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    grant wrote:
    > I was using the 8x speed discs, mainly -r g05. Tried some +r but +r
    > does not like my players where -r does.
    >
    > the thing is 4x is been superceded by 8x which are the shockers.

    Maybe that's the "problem" and why my Ritek/Ridata discs and been
    working perfectly fine (and look perfect visually). I only use
    the 4X purple -R discs. It may only be the higher speed ones that
    have trouble (and looking at charts, there's a lot of compatibility
    issues at higher speeds -- there's even a major brand of burner
    spec'd at "16X" for has NO discs that run that fast on
    their official disc compatibility chart! :-).

    I will say that I used to have verification problems when I first
    started with the 4X discs. Not always, but often enough to be a
    pain. Those went away when I added a pair of
    SATA discs in RAID-0 configuration (to hold the files being
    burned). Maybe problem will return trying to go faster. Although
    burner was supposed to have underrrun protection, I don't think
    it worked too well (-r discs on a Pioneer 106 burner).

    Mike

Tuner Cards Burner Video DVD Writers Graphics