Remote assistance V remote desktop

Would someone be able to (briefly) tell me the difference between the
above... The context for which I am asking is - I need to install some
software without actually being there...
8 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance remote desktop

    From the FAQ...

    Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?

    A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    differences between these features.

    a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at another
    computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    files and applications.
    b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The
    helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.

    Note that XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...For help with Remote Desktop...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Arachnia" <Arachnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Would someone be able to (briefly) tell me the difference between the
    > above... The context for which I am asking is - I need to install some
    > software without actually being there...

    Hmm, ok.. so will remote assistance work if the 'damsel in distress' doesnt
    have XP? would that jus make it more difficult to set up..?

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > From the FAQ...
    >
    > Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
    >
    > A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    > differences between these features.
    >
    > a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at another
    > computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    > files and applications.
    > b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    > provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The
    > helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.
    >
    > Note that XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...For help with Remote Desktop...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Arachnia" <Arachnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Would someone be able to (briefly) tell me the difference between the
    > > above... The context for which I am asking is - I need to install some
    > > software without actually being there...

    You both need to be running XP (Pro or Home) in order to use Remote Assistance. The 'damsel in
    distress' also needs to be running XP Pro in order for you to use Remote Desktop.

    So, an alternative is VNC. I recommend UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    Run the UltraVNC server on the remote machine and use a *STRONG* password. If the remote PC is
    behind a firewall, open TCP Port 5900.

    --

    > Hmm, ok.. so will remote assistance work if the 'damsel in distress' doesnt
    > have XP? would that jus make it more difficult to set up..?
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> From the FAQ...
    >>
    >> Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
    >>
    >> A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    >> differences between these features.
    >>
    >> a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at
    >> another
    >> computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    >> files and applications.
    >> b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    >> provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box.
    >> The
    >> helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.
    >>
    >> Note that XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...For help with Remote Desktop...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Arachnia" <Arachnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Would someone be able to (briefly) tell me the difference between the
    >> > above... The context for which I am asking is - I need to install some
    >> > software without actually being there...

    if i am not mistaken, Remote Assistance was included in NetMeeting,
    before WindowsXP came into existence. therefore, you could still use
    Remote Assistance by running NetMeeting, without having WindowsXP.

    within the context you are asking about though, you could not use Remote
    Assistance to install software on a remote PC, if the software you want
    to install is not on or accessible to the remote PC (e.g. if the
    software is in your hands). using Remote Assistance, you could install
    the software on the remote PC, only if the software you want to install
    is accessible to the remote PC.

    now regarding Remote Desktop Connection (RDC).

    using Remote Desktop Connection, you could install your software on the
    remote PC, regardless of where it is (e.g. your local PC or the remote
    PC), because your local disk drives can be accessed by the remote PC, as
    well as vice-versa. the remote PC must have Windows XP Pro in order to
    provide the server functionality, as mentioned by another posting.

    the local client PC (used to connect to the remote) needs to have the
    client RDC software. the client RDC software is included in Windows XP
    Pro and Home. for other versions of Windows, the client RDC software
    can be easily installed, either from the XP installation CD or from any
    other media that contains the proper installation executable.

    that's the advantage of Remote Desktop Connection. with Remote
    Assistance, you are just remotely watching over the shoulder or (with
    permission) remotely controlling the remote mouse and remote keyboard.

    Arachnia wrote:
    > Hmm, ok.. so will remote assistance work if the 'damsel in distress' doesnt
    > have XP? would that jus make it more difficult to set up..?
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >

    >>From the FAQ...
    >>
    >>Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
    >>
    >>A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    >>differences between these features.
    >>
    >>a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at another
    >>computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    >>files and applications.
    >>b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    >>provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The
    >>helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.
    >>
    >>Note that XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...For help with Remote Desktop...
    >>
    >>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >>--
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >>Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    >>
    >>"Arachnia" <Arachnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Would someone be able to (briefly) tell me the difference between the
    >>>above... The context for which I am asking is - I need to install some
    >>>software without actually being there...

    Your confusing NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing with Remote Assistance... They are not the same and
    are not compatible. With that said, your correct and you could use NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    to access the remote PC for maintenance, etc...

    --

    "JW" <JustPostYourReply@ToThisNewsGroup.pls> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>files and applications.
    >>>b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    >>>provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box.
    >>>The
    >>>helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.
    >>>
    >>>Note that XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host...For help with Remote Desktop...
    >>>
    >>>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>>Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >>>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

    I forgot to add that to use NetMeeting RDS through a firewall/NAT/router you need to open TCP Port
    1503 for direct IP-to-IP calls... Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router...

    --

    > Your confusing NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing with Remote Assistance... They are not the same
    > and are not compatible. With that said, your correct and you could use NetMeeting Remote Desktop
    > Sharing to access the remote PC for maintenance, etc...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "JW" <JustPostYourReply@ToThisNewsGroup.pls> wrote in message
    >> if i am not mistaken, Remote Assistance was included in NetMeeting, before WindowsXP came into
    >> existence. therefore, you could still use Remote Assistance by running NetMeeting, without
    >> having WindowsXP.
    >>
    >> within the context you are asking about though, you could not use Remote Assistance to install
    >> software on a remote PC, if the software you want to install is not on or accessible to the
    >> remote PC (e.g. if the software is in your hands). using Remote Assistance, you could install
    >> the software on the remote PC, only if the software you want to install is accessible to the
    >> remote PC.
    >>
    >> now regarding Remote Desktop Connection (RDC).
    >>
    >> using Remote Desktop Connection, you could install your software on the remote PC, regardless of
    >> where it is (e.g. your local PC or the remote PC), because your local disk drives can be accessed
    >> by the remote PC, as well as vice-versa. the remote PC must have Windows XP Pro in order to
    >> provide the server functionality, as mentioned by another posting.
    >>
    >> the local client PC (used to connect to the remote) needs to have the client RDC software. the
    >> client RDC software is included in Windows XP Pro and Home. for other versions of Windows, the
    >> client RDC software can be easily installed, either from the XP installation CD or from any other
    >> media that contains the proper installation executable.
    >>
    >> that's the advantage of Remote Desktop Connection. with Remote Assistance, you are just remotely
    >> watching over the shoulder or (with permission) remotely controlling the remote mouse and remote
    >> keyboard.
    >>

    >> Arachnia wrote:
    >>> Hmm, ok.. so will remote assistance work if the 'damsel in distress' doesnt have XP? would that
    >>> jus make it more difficult to set up..?

    thanks Sooner Al for helping out

    would you happen to know what ports need to be opened to use audio and
    video with Dialer through a firewall/router ?

    would you happen to know what port needs to be open to use video with
    NetMeeting through a firewall/router, in addition to port 1503 for
    direct IP-to-IP calls ?

    thanks in advance for your reply

    i am getting much better response on overseas calls using direct
    IP-to-IP calls with NetMeeting and Dialer, than with the unbearable
    delays using Win or MSN Messenger.

    Sooner Al wrote:
    > I forgot to add that to use NetMeeting RDS through a firewall/NAT/router
    > you need to open TCP Port 1503 for direct IP-to-IP calls... Call using
    > the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router...

    NetMeeting uses a large range of potential ports. The best I can say is to look at the NetMeeting
    Resource Kit for that information.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/NetMeeting/Corp/reskit/Chapter4/default.asp

    Personally I use either Skype, for audio conferencing, or MS Portrait. Portrait allows for
    one-to-one IP-to-IP audio/video conferencing...

    http://www.skype.com
    http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

    For Portrait you only need...

    TCP Port 8100 Listen
    UDP Port 8110 Video
    UDP Port 8120 Audio

    --

    > thanks Sooner Al for helping out
    >
    > would you happen to know what ports need to be opened to use audio and video with Dialer through a
    > firewall/router ?
    >
    > would you happen to know what port needs to be open to use video with NetMeeting through a
    > firewall/router, in addition to port 1503 for direct IP-to-IP calls ?
    >
    > thanks in advance for your reply
    >
    > i am getting much better response on overseas calls using direct IP-to-IP calls with NetMeeting
    > and Dialer, than with the unbearable delays using Win or MSN Messenger.
    >

    > Sooner Al wrote:
    >> I forgot to add that to use NetMeeting RDS through a firewall/NAT/router you need to open TCP
    >> Port 1503 for direct IP-to-IP calls... Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router...

Remote Desktop Microsoft Software Windows XP