AMD Processors and AVID

Are there any known issues with running AVID on an AMD box? I want to
upgrade my system and I would prefer to go the more economical route and
use AMD processors.

Thanks...

"Chris Maness" wrote...
> Are there any known issues with running AVID on an AMD
> box? I want to upgrade my system and I would prefer to go
> the more economical route and use AMD processors.

AVID makes over a dozen products. Which one are you talking
about? The ones I've checked out say they want genuine Intel.

DV Xpress

"Chris Maness" <Chris@PLSNOSPAMchrismaness.com> wrote in message
> DV Xpress
>
> Richard Crowley wrote:
> > "Chris Maness" wrote...
> >
> >> Are there any known issues with running AVID on an AMD box? I want
> >> to upgrade my system and I would prefer to go the more economical
> >> route and use AMD processors.
> >

> > AVID makes over a dozen products. Which one are you talking
> > about? The ones I've checked out say they want genuine Intel.

Some of the Avid developers actually run it on their personal AMD boxes at
home.
I have intermittently run Express and Express Pro on an AMD MP system.
I've never had a problem with Avid that was related to the brand of
processor.
However, this is my personal experience, and cannot be taken as a guarantee
of success.
Avid specifies hardware because, like most editing systems, the software is
not engineered to the point that it is completely independent of the
characteristics of the hardware. Apparently, editing software is so complex
that this is hard to do.

For instance, Premier Pro does not run on my AMD dual MP system. However,
this may be because a dual processor system confuses it.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:28:49 -0500, "Robert Morein"
<nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Some of the Avid developers actually run it on their personal AMD boxes at
>home.
>I have intermittently run Express and Express Pro on an AMD MP system.
>I've never had a problem with Avid that was related to the brand of
>processor.

I used the free version on my dual Athlon MP without any probs.

>Avid specifies hardware because, like most editing systems, the software is
>not engineered to the point that it is completely independent of the
>characteristics of the hardware. Apparently, editing software is so complex
>that this is hard to do.

And, if you stick to what a manufacturer specifies, you have 99.9%
guarantee that your system will work.

>For instance, Premier Pro does not run on my AMD dual MP system. However,
>this may be because a dual processor system confuses it.

Doesn't PPro need SSE2 or something? AFAIK the Athlon MP's don't have
SSE2.

cheers

-martin-

--
Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?

I run XpressDV on Athlon systems here with no problems.
I run Premiere Pro on a DUAL 2.2GHZ Xeon (XP Pro) with ZERO problems. It is
the fastest and least problematic of any of my rigs.

Of course, the Dual 1Gig G4 and FCP are indeed the slowest, most problematic
rig. (had to throw that in ! )