Map drives while connected using remote desktop

Hello,

I have a computer set up with WinXP professional and remote desktop. I
can connected to it with other WinXP machines. What I would like to do
is to establish a remote desktop session and then be able to have the
local computer be able to map a drive to the remote machine. I have
tried the options that allow the disk drives to be shared. I would
like to do something like the following from the local machine

net use m: \\computer\computer_c

However it retuns with an error 67 (network name cannot be found)
Is there any way to get this to work?

Thanks
Mike McWhinney

eljainc@ameritech.net wrote:

> I have a computer set up with WinXP professional and remote desktop. I
> can connected to it with other WinXP machines. What I would like to do
> is to establish a remote desktop session and then be able to have the
> local computer be able to map a drive to the remote machine. I have
> tried the options that allow the disk drives to be shared. I would
> like to do something like the following from the local machine
>
> net use m: \\computer\computer_c
>
> However it retuns with an error 67 (network name cannot be found)

While you are in a Remote Desktop session, you can map drives in the
opposite direction (drives on the remote server can be mapped to resources
on the local client), but not the other way around.

The local client operating system and networking system has no knowledge of
the Remote Desktop session, which is self-contained within the client
application.

If you wish to map resources of the remote server onto the local PC, you
should consider setting up a VPN, rather than (or as well as) using Remote
Desktop.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I was trying out that net use command and at first I got the same error
message as you.
I then went into My Network Places then View Workgroup Computer, and browsed
around.
I tried the command again later and it worked, no error message.

Maybe you have to type Net Start server

Gary Mount wrote:
> I was trying out that net use command and at first I got the same
> error message as you.
> I then went into My Network Places then View Workgroup Computer, and
> browsed around.
> I tried the command again later and it worked, no error message.
>
> Maybe you have to type Net Start server

None of this will work if you aren't using VPN or something like that. TS/RD
alone won't let you map from client to host - just the other way around.