help with .MOV files produced by digital camera.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2005 11:48:48 PM

Hi group,

I've got a bit of a newbie question, and googling so far has turned up
naught.

I've got a Konica Minolta Z3 digital still camera that takes quite
nice movies. I think up to 640x480 at 30 fps. It makes .MOV files in,
I believe, a motion JPEG format, and they end up quite big at almost 1
Meg per second.

I'd like firstly to store them in a more efficient format, without
losing any quality, and secondly to do basic editing on them. Simple
concatanation and cutting and so on.

I'm not really prepared to pay for expensive software to do this, but
I'd consider buying something if I had to.

It'd be nice to eventually do some DVD/VCD authoring, but for the
moment the big issue is the file size and the fact that they seem to
require quicktime to play properly. I want to send the clips to
friends who wont have, and may not be savvy enough to get, quicktime.

any help in this matter is appreciated. As I said, I'm new to video
stuff.

thanks,
cory
February 10, 2005 1:01:37 PM

Get Quicktime Pro. You can re-render them to other formats, quality, bitrate
ect. Believe you can even do some very rough cuts in that as well.

Still, Quicktime is not exactly obscure. Its free and easy to get, but yeah,
I get the your implied statment - If someone has to lift a finger to do it,
they probably won't do it.

"Cory Seligman" <coryms+google@azazel.eng.monash.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I've got a bit of a newbie question, and googling so far has turned up
> naught.
>
> I've got a Konica Minolta Z3 digital still camera that takes quite
> nice movies. I think up to 640x480 at 30 fps. It makes .MOV files in,
> I believe, a motion JPEG format, and they end up quite big at almost 1
> Meg per second.
>
> I'd like firstly to store them in a more efficient format, without
> losing any quality, and secondly to do basic editing on them. Simple
> concatanation and cutting and so on.
>
> I'm not really prepared to pay for expensive software to do this, but
> I'd consider buying something if I had to.
>
> It'd be nice to eventually do some DVD/VCD authoring, but for the
> moment the big issue is the file size and the fact that they seem to
> require quicktime to play properly. I want to send the clips to
> friends who wont have, and may not be savvy enough to get, quicktime.
>
> any help in this matter is appreciated. As I said, I'm new to video
> stuff.
>
> thanks,
> cory
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:56:23 PM

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message news:<420b814f$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>...
> Get Quicktime Pro. You can re-render them to other formats, quality, bitrate
> ect. Believe you can even do some very rough cuts in that as well.
>
> Still, Quicktime is not exactly obscure. Its free and easy to get, but yeah,
> I get the your implied statment - If someone has to lift a finger to do it,
> they probably won't do it.

Thanks for the tip. It looks like quicktime pro converts to lots of
different formats too, so i'm guessing that's the answer i'm looking
for.

thanks heaps,
cory
!