mac mini for editing

I am currently using a G4 dual processor 450, with 500 meg ram and
stock hardware. I have no problems editing but of course the rendering
time is very long. I save to quicktime a 50 minute clip, which takes 4
hours to save. I use FCE2. I am thinking that the Mac Mini with its
MUCH faster processor and insanely fast frontside bus, that I would get
better performance.

Please share your thoughts with me!

On 9 Feb 2005 22:05:01 -0800, gasolineman@yahoo.com wrote:

>I am currently using a G4 dual processor 450, with 500 meg ram and
>stock hardware. I have no problems editing but of course the rendering
>time is very long. I save to quicktime a 50 minute clip, which takes 4
>hours to save. I use FCE2. I am thinking that the Mac Mini with its
>MUCH faster processor and insanely fast frontside bus, that I would get
>better performance.
>
>Please share your thoughts with me!

The Mini (at least the cheap one) is too slow, and doesn't have enough
RAM, IMO; the upgraded one has a faster CPU (1.42 GHz vs 1.25 GHz),
both have 256 MB of RAM. The faster one has an 80GB drive vs 40GB.
You'll probably want that bigger drive. I'd recommend the faster one,
vs the slower one.
You will want at least 512 MB of RAM for video work.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

In article <1108015501.026511.194620@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
gasolineman@yahoo.com says...
> Subject: mac mini for editing
> From: gasolineman@yahoo.com
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> I am currently using a G4 dual processor 450, with 500 meg ram and
> stock hardware. I have no problems editing but of course the rendering
> time is very long. I save to quicktime a 50 minute clip, which takes 4
> hours to save. I use FCE2. I am thinking that the Mac Mini with its
> MUCH faster processor and insanely fast frontside bus, that I would get
> better performance.
>
> Please share your thoughts with me!

Buying a Mac Mini for video editing is like buying a WebTV box for web
authoring.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

gasolineman@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am currently using a G4 dual processor 450, with 500 meg ram and
> stock hardware. I have no problems editing but of course the rendering
> time is very long. I save to quicktime a 50 minute clip, which takes 4
> hours to save. I use FCE2. I am thinking that the Mac Mini with its
> MUCH faster processor and insanely fast frontside bus, that I would get
> better performance.
>
> Please share your thoughts with me!

Well, as everyone has told you, the Mac mini which is based on iBook is
very slow. I have a 1GHz G4 Powerbook with 512MB RAM and I wouldn't dare
to use it for editing long video. I just built myself an Athlon 64 PC
for less than $1K. It has 2GHz 64bit CPU (nforce4 ultra chipsets), 1GB
RAM, 200GB HD, gforce 6600GT graphics, aluminum case, LG super multi DVD
burner. I know it doesn't run OSX...but it's very preppy. :)