Ear Prompting Equipment

In a similar thread I promised to post some information about pricing of ear
prompting equipment. Here are a couple of sources:
http://www.ear-prompter.com/; and
http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item391.htm

If you are a producer, Google 'Ear Prompter' to learn about the remarkable
boost in productivity a performer using these devices can bring to the
party---particularly in field work, where visual prompters are less
practical.

Of course, you could also hire me ;-)

Steve King

In article <IPWdnTqFtvndH5bfRVn-2w@comcast.com>,
"Steve King" <steve@45steveking57.net> wrote:

> In a similar thread I promised to post some information about pricing of ear
> prompting equipment. Here are a couple of sources:
> http://www.ear-prompter.com/; and
> http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item391.htm
>
> If you are a producer, Google 'Ear Prompter' to learn about the remarkable
> boost in productivity a performer using these devices can bring to the
> party---particularly in field work, where visual prompters are less
> practical.
>
> Of course, you could also hire me ;-)
>
> Steve King

Wow, this stuff has sure come a long way since I started using a $65 GE
Brand microcassette recorder with a transistor radio earpiece back in
the late 1980s!!!

My big trick was to take a piece of white gaffers tape and cover the big
old honkin' "earbud" then steal some of my wife's "concealer" makeup and
slosh it on the gaff so that the earpiece wouldn't show on camera.

Had to learn not to turn my upstage ear to the camera or it looked like
I had a giant tumor in my ear.

Ah progress!

"William Davis" <newvideo@fastq.com> wrote in message
> In article <IPWdnTqFtvndH5bfRVn-2w@comcast.com>,
> "Steve King" <steve@45steveking57.net> wrote:
>
>> In a similar thread I promised to post some information about pricing of
>> ear
>> prompting equipment. Here are a couple of sources:
>> http://www.ear-prompter.com/; and
>> http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item391.htm
>>
>> If you are a producer, Google 'Ear Prompter' to learn about the
>> remarkable
>> boost in productivity a performer using these devices can bring to the
>> party---particularly in field work, where visual prompters are less
>> practical.
>>
>> Of course, you could also hire me ;-)
>>
>> Steve King
>

> Wow, this stuff has sure come a long way since I started using a $65 GE
> Brand microcassette recorder with a transistor radio earpiece back in
> the late 1980s!!!
>
> My big trick was to take a piece of white gaffers tape and cover the big
> old honkin' "earbud" then steal some of my wife's "concealer" makeup and
> slosh it on the gaff so that the earpiece wouldn't show on camera.
>
> Had to learn not to turn my upstage ear to the camera or it looked like
> I had a giant tumor in my ear.
>
> Ah progress!
I started using the neck loop system in the 80s. My in-earbud has never had
the clarity that my wired/tubed unit has, but the freedom to present either
profile to the camera at will is worth it. I do remember a shoot, before I
purchased back-up kit, where I had to run to the nearby Radio Shack to buy a
little earphone. Like you, I covered it with some cover-up and got through
the day.

Not too long ago I produced a twenty minute program with lots of on-camera
narrator scenes...pointing to this, demonstrating that, taking this widget
apart, assembling that thing-a-ma-bob. We did it in both English and
Spanish. What a joy to have two performers, both with wireless ear
prompters, able to record both their own narration as well as stage
directions on handling the props. We were using a Steady-Cam Jr., so the
shots were cool but lots of opportunity to drift a little off the 'set' from
time to time, which meant that we'd have to go back to 'one' several times
to get each shot done. We'd do the English scene immediately followed by
the Spanish. The performers were flawless with difficult material and
difficult hands-on stuff. That really takes the pressure off, when you've
planned a very full shot list.

The folks on this list who don't do productions with lots of scripted
stand-up are probably bored stiff with this stuff ;-)

Steve King