TMPGEnc MPEG Editor vs. VideoReDo

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001

Hello all,

I'm evaluating these two products to use in removing commercials from
video transferred from my TiVo Series 2. I like TMPGEnc's editing
interface, and the fact that I can go to the exact moment when a scene
changes. However, I can never get the same video quality as VideoReDo.
To me, it seems TMPGEnc re-encodes the file when I'm done editing. I've
set the video output settings to match the source, and according to the
re-encode analyzer, only the frames where I cut the commercials are
affected. The output is still not as good as VideoReDo's result.

I would prefer to use TMPGEnc because of the interface, but if I can't
get the same quality as VideoReDo then there is no other choice for me.
Is there some setting in TMPGEnc that I can set so that it does not
make any change to anything, other than remove the commercials?
VideoReDo has an Output File Option when saving, and you can choose "No
Change" for the Bit Rate. I can't find a similar option in TMPGEnc, and
the only thing I can do is choose "Constant bitrate" for the video
output. According to the TMPGEnc help file, when CBR is chosen it uses
the same bitrate as the source. It doesn't LOOK like that to me though.

Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.

"MJedi" <twmjedi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm evaluating these two products to use in removing commercials from
> video transferred from my TiVo Series 2. I like TMPGEnc's editing
> interface, and the fact that I can go to the exact moment when a scene
> changes. However, I can never get the same video quality as VideoReDo.
> To me, it seems TMPGEnc re-encodes the file when I'm done editing. I've
> set the video output settings to match the source, and according to the
> re-encode analyzer, only the frames where I cut the commercials are
> affected. The output is still not as good as VideoReDo's result.
>
> I would prefer to use TMPGEnc because of the interface, but if I can't
> get the same quality as VideoReDo then there is no other choice for me.
> Is there some setting in TMPGEnc that I can set so that it does not
> make any change to anything, other than remove the commercials?
> VideoReDo has an Output File Option when saving, and you can choose "No
> Change" for the Bit Rate. I can't find a similar option in TMPGEnc, and
> the only thing I can do is choose "Constant bitrate" for the video
> output. According to the TMPGEnc help file, when CBR is chosen it uses
> the same bitrate as the source. It doesn't LOOK like that to me though.
>
> Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.

I've been a big booster of the TMPGEnc products, but I
had planned to wait on this new Editor until it was
incorporated into TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA). After
reading your comments and several others, I am thinking
I'll stick with VideoReDo.

Luck;
Ken

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

MJedi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm evaluating these two products to use in removing commercials from
> video transferred from my TiVo Series 2. I like TMPGEnc's editing
> interface, and the fact that I can go to the exact moment when a
scene
> changes. However, I can never get the same video quality as
VideoReDo.
> To me, it seems TMPGEnc re-encodes the file when I'm done editing.
I've
> set the video output settings to match the source, and according to
the
> re-encode analyzer, only the frames where I cut the commercials are
> affected. The output is still not as good as VideoReDo's result.
>
> I would prefer to use TMPGEnc because of the interface, but if I
can't
> get the same quality as VideoReDo then there is no other choice for
me.
> Is there some setting in TMPGEnc that I can set so that it does not
> make any change to anything, other than remove the commercials?
> VideoReDo has an Output File Option when saving, and you can choose
"No
> Change" for the Bit Rate. I can't find a similar option in TMPGEnc,
and
> the only thing I can do is choose "Constant bitrate" for the video
> output. According to the TMPGEnc help file, when CBR is chosen it
uses
> the same bitrate as the source. It doesn't LOOK like that to me
though.

> Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Let the author of VideoReDo know what you like/don't like about his
interface. I found it strange at first, but got used to it very
quickly. I like how I can change the values of the skip buttons and
mouse-wheel and how I can use SHIFT and CONTROL to multiply the motion.
For instance, I use SHIFT-wheel to move one second at a time then
release the shift to wheel one frame at a time.

One more thing... VideoReDo 2/Plus is coming out soon. One of the
features is automatic commercial detection.

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I've been a big booster of the TMPGEnc products, but I
> had planned to wait on this new Editor until it was
> incorporated into TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA).

If we're talking (as the OP was) about simple edits like cutting out
commercials, I believe TMPGEnc DVD Author does that now, and specifically
claims to do it without reencoding the video. It's not clear to me whether
TDA is the particular TMPGEnc product that MJedi is using. If so, either
the product description is misleading, or he is right to be asking about the
settings.

I'm playing with the TDA 30-day trial now, but haven't tried that function
yet (I've just tried it for authoring), so I hope somebody will tell us if
I'm wrong. You might want to give it a free trial, Ken.

"Ted Kerin" <tf.kerin@gte.net> wrote in message

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >

> > I've been a big booster of the TMPGEnc products, but I
> > had planned to wait on this new Editor until it was
> > incorporated into TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA).
> >

> If we're talking (as the OP was) about simple edits like cutting out
> commercials, I believe TMPGEnc DVD Author does that now, and specifically
> claims to do it without reencoding the video. ...
>
> I'm playing with the TDA 30-day trial now, but haven't tried that function
> yet (I've just tried it for authoring), so I hope somebody will tell us if
> I'm wrong. >

Answering my own question....
Taking another look at the product descriptions, one difference is that TDA
can only make cuts at the GOP level, whereas the dedicated MPEG Editor
product can make cuts at the frame level.

"Ted Kerin" <tf.kerin@gte.net> wrote in message

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>

>> I've been a big booster of the TMPGEnc products, but I
>> had planned to wait on this new Editor until it was
>> incorporated into TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA).
>>

> If we're talking (as the OP was) about simple edits like cutting out
> commercials, I believe TMPGEnc DVD Author does that now, and specifically
> claims to do it without reencoding the video. It's not clear to me whether
> TDA is the particular TMPGEnc product that MJedi is using. If so, either
> the product description is misleading, or he is right to be asking about
> the
> settings.
>
> I'm playing with the TDA 30-day trial now, but haven't tried that function
> yet (I've just tried it for authoring), so I hope somebody will tell us if
> I'm wrong. You might want to give it a free trial, Ken.

With tongue firmly implanted, I could say that I have "Some"
experience with TDA.

Luck;
Ken

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am talking about TMPGEnc MPEG Editor (TME).
I didn't even look at TDA, but based on the features, it sounds like
the editor in TDA is not as precise as the editor in TME. I may try TDA
though.

On 11 Feb 2005 10:09:10 -0800, "Eric" <byteguy@lanset.com> wrote:

>Let the author of VideoReDo know what you like/don't like about his
>interface. I found it strange at first, but got used to it very
>quickly. I like how I can change the values of the skip buttons and
>mouse-wheel and how I can use SHIFT and CONTROL to multiply the motion.
> For instance, I use SHIFT-wheel to move one second at a time then
>release the shift to wheel one frame at a time.
>
>One more thing... VideoReDo 2/Plus is coming out soon. One of the
>features is automatic commercial detection.

Free upgrade?? :)

Bye for now.

Clive.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Clive Savage wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2005 10:09:10 -0800, "Eric" <byteguy@lanset.com> wrote:
>

> >Let the author of VideoReDo know what you like/don't like about his
> >interface. I found it strange at first, but got used to it very
> >quickly. I like how I can change the values of the skip buttons and
> >mouse-wheel and how I can use SHIFT and CONTROL to multiply the
motion.
> > For instance, I use SHIFT-wheel to move one second at a time then
> >release the shift to wheel one frame at a time.
> >
> >One more thing... VideoReDo 2/Plus is coming out soon. One of the
> >features is automatic commercial detection.
>
> Free upgrade?? :)
>
> Bye for now.
>
> Clive.

Yep, FREE UPGRADE!!!!

Dan, the author of VRD wrote "Version 2 will consist of two products,
VideoReDo/Basic and VideoReDo/Plus (names may change). Basic will
consist of the functionality of what has been released to date. In
other words it will do the basic editing chores.

Plus expands on that with support for Ad-Detective, Previews,
Thumbnails, Audio Display and most of the new upcoming features we've
been talking about for the future. Plus will cost a little bit more,
but we believe increased the functionality makes it worthwhile.

The good news is that all Version 1 users will be allowed to upgrade to
Version 2/Plus without additional charge. Our way of saying thanks to
all who have helped make our first year such a success. BTW, Feb. 24
will be our first anniversary." From VRD Support board on 2/4/05

<http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/viewtopic.php?t=556&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0>

I've been putting money in my PayPal account so I could upgrade the
second VRD2 came out. There are very few pieces of software that I'd
do that with. Now I'll have to find something else to spend it on.