Divx Decoder Software

Hello, I had a general question regarding Divx Decoder used to watch
movies on the PC. What exactly is this format? Years ago Circuit City
was selling Divx DVD players (but not anymore). Is this the same type
of format?

Steven

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:21:39 GMT) it happened "Kill Bill" <a@b.c>
wrote in <nWZOd.26$VD5.3@twister.socal.rr.com>:

>Years ago Circuit City
>> was selling Divx DVD players (but not anymore).
>Not possible.
The Kiss player has been around for 3 years or more now?

> Hello, I had a general question regarding Divx Decoder used to watch
> movies on the PC. What exactly is this format?

MPEG-4 video codec, with modifications to the specification + MP3 audio
(usually, but you can use AAC, etc.).

> Years ago Circuit City
> was selling Divx DVD players (but not anymore). Is this the same type
> of format?

No. The old 'divx' dvd players of years ago was an attempt to 'expire'
DVDs a certain number of days after they've been activated -- an attempt
to eliminate the need to return 'rentals' to the store. However, this
never took off -- later (and still today), Netflix.com with their
sensible mailbox rent & return system is the more sensible, closest analog.

today's, Divx (c) MPEG-4 players such as the <$70 Philips DVP642 sold at
Walmart and other stores do not play these old divx discs, but instead,
play the latest MPEG-4 video files. (www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot
deals -> search 'dvp642' and bring up the longest thread on this great
player)

Divx now is nothing like Divx before. Only the name is the same. It has
nothing to do with the old Divx except for the name. The current Divx
is a video compression codec that is similar to mpeg4. Go to divx.com
for more information on this codec.

You can create Divx videos on your pc and save them do a DVD. The
advantages over standard Mpeg2 DVD format is that the Divx codec has
better compression, so you can fit more videos on single DVD at the
same quality.

On 12 Feb 2005 04:33:04 -0800, LR6.37.88@gmail.com wrote:

>Divx now is nothing like Divx before. Only the name is the same. It has
>nothing to do with the old Divx except for the name. The current Divx
>is a video compression codec that is similar to mpeg4. Go to divx.com
>for more information on this codec.
>
>You can create Divx videos on your pc and save them do a DVD. The
>advantages over standard Mpeg2 DVD format is that the Divx codec has
>better compression, so you can fit more videos on single DVD at the
>same quality.

How far can I compress a 4Gb video/dvd file before I see any reduction
in quality (keeping the standard DVD resolution)?

Is bitrate in Divx the same as in mpeg?

Using the Dr. divx software.

Bye for now.

Clive.

Clive Savage <clive@milllom.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2005 04:33:04 -0800, LR6.37.88@gmail.com wrote:

> >Divx now is nothing like Divx before. Only the name is the same. It has
> >nothing to do with the old Divx except for the name. The current Divx
> >is a video compression codec that is similar to mpeg4. Go to divx.com
> >for more information on this codec.
> >
> >You can create Divx videos on your pc and save them do a DVD. The
> >advantages over standard Mpeg2 DVD format is that the Divx codec has
> >better compression, so you can fit more videos on single DVD at the
> >same quality.
> >
> How far can I compress a 4Gb video/dvd file before I see any reduction
> in quality (keeping the standard DVD resolution)?

> Is bitrate in Divx the same as in mpeg?

> Using the Dr. divx software.

> Bye for now.

> Clive.

I've been experimenting with Dr Divx, AutoGK and FairUse using both the Divx5
and XVID codecs.

I encode stuff to watch on my Phillips DVP642 player. It probably makes a huge
difference whether you're going to be watching your output on a progressive
non-interlaced display or not. I watch on regular old-fashioned set.
Everything looks a Lot better on my (very heavy) 21" CRT Monitor.

There seem to be ways to get the bit rate down to around 1500 while keeping
highish resolution and still produce a great picture. I've picked-up some Brit
files that were created (as Gspot tells me) with VirtualDub using XVID that
look amazing. I'm thinking of 'Spooks' (a so-so show) current season, and 'The
Hustle' (Great Show!) from a year or two ago. Filesizes for those 1 hour shows
were around 650 or 700 meg.

I've tried to recreate that quality with the same bitrate but can't. I can
come close, but not close enough. So far, juggling resolution/bitrate I'm
around the 1:2 mark. Still learning, experimenting. Cryptic secrets elude me
still, apparently.

Quality of source seems to be enormously important. Analogue cable from my
PVR-250 doesn't yeild particularly spectacular results. Encoding directly from
dvd produces much better results, but again not *quite* as good as the files
I've mentioned above. My aim is to equal those files.

So I'm guessing that a 3:1 compression ratio - to pretty-much keep the
original quality - is probably possible, but I'm far from being able to do
that. The automatic settings in the programs I'm using certainly don't do it
and my tweakings have yielded only partial success. And yes, I'm not easy to
please.

Any tips are very welcome. Nex

See www.doom9.org for the recent encoder comparison for examples of what
various MPEG-4 encoders produce visually. Also, you can use their
settings as a baseline.

Sheesh

Distinguished
May 1, 2003

On 12 Feb 2005 04:33:04 -0800, LR6.37.88@gmail.com wrote:

>Divx now is nothing like Divx before. Only the name is the same. It has
>nothing to do with the old Divx except for the name. The current Divx
>is a video compression codec that is similar to mpeg4. Go to divx.com
>for more information on this codec.

Why did the makers of this new Divx format choose the same name as the failed
Circuit City technology?

On 2/27/2005, sheesh managed to type:
> On 12 Feb 2005 04:33:04 -0800, LR6.37.88@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Divx now is nothing like Divx before. Only the name is the same. It has
>> nothing to do with the old Divx except for the name. The current Divx
>> is a video compression codec that is similar to mpeg4. Go to divx.com
>> for more information on this codec.
>
> Why did the makers of this new Divx format choose the same name as the failed
> Circuit City technology?

I have been told it was satire or a joke. Also, I believe it was satire
or a joke.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)