I'm having problems doing the PVN in Windows XP Professional.
I went to my office and left the computers on, used all the wizards- in
other words- by the book- but nada- nothing.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208&Product=win2000

I am using Bellsouth's router Westell (house)- and at the office I'm using
the D-Link router and the third router is Time Warner.
I get my IP from command prompt IPCconfig.
Also: I disconnected the Windows Security Alert.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

Mike

Splendid

"GallEsco" <GallEsco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having problems doing the PVN in Windows XP Professional.
> I went to my office and left the computers on, used all the wizards- in
> other words- by the book- but nada- nothing.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208&Product=win2000
>

> I am using Bellsouth's router Westell (house)- and at the office I'm using
> the D-Link router and the third router is Time Warner.
> I get my IP from command prompt IPCconfig.
> Also: I disconnected the Windows Security Alert.
>
> Can anyone help me?
> Thanks

Sounds like you need to hit your public ip address, the address assigned by
your ISP. Then forward TCP port 3389 on your router to the internal ip
address, normally 192.168.x.x. Works great for me!

Mike

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

3389 is RDP port....???!

This is not the VPN solution requested by the user above but..... RDP beats
VPN all to heck anyway for a number of reasons... in my opinion of course!

"Mike" <mikebegin@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "GallEsco" <GallEsco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having problems doing the PVN in Windows XP Professional.
>> I went to my office and left the computers on, used all the wizards- in
>> other words- by the book- but nada- nothing.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208&Product=win2000
>>

>> I am using Bellsouth's router Westell (house)- and at the office I'm
>> using
>> the D-Link router and the third router is Time Warner.
>> I get my IP from command prompt IPCconfig.
>> Also: I disconnected the Windows Security Alert.
>>
>> Can anyone help me?
>> Thanks
>
> Sounds like you need to hit your public ip address, the address assigned
> by your ISP. Then forward TCP port 3389 on your router to the internal ip
> address, normally 192.168.x.x. Works great for me!
>
> Mike

In article <eVJKHDv#EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, DaShard@home.com
says...
> This is not the VPN solution requested by the user above but..... RDP beats
> VPN all to heck anyway for a number of reasons... in my opinion of course!

Way wrong what to think - you can do RDP over a VPN, but you can't do
half the things a VPN allows with just RDP. RDP exposes the OS directly,
VPN's can be terminated at appliances without even hitting the
servers/workstations.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Half the things that my VPN users do are connect Virus and Worm ridden PC's
that tansfer that data straight up the VPN....!
That's the half I don't like.....

The half I do like on the RDP is that it's port configurable (secure enough
for non-paranoids) and allows no direct network connection to the client.

Anyways, your point is taken but I still have more lower maintenance cost,
more productive clients on custom RDP ports than on VPN solutions....

Most end-users aren't as 'savvy' or 'curious' as us techs let alone knowing
what 'exposing the O/S' means....when a client doesn't have a license to
drive his/her personal PC then why on earth make it a high-maintenance,
learning curve solution with a questionable end-result VPN??

That's my two bits worth....

After all, what could possibly go wrong?

> In article <eVJKHDv#EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, DaShard@home.com
> says...
>> This is not the VPN solution requested by the user above but..... RDP
>> beats
>> VPN all to heck anyway for a number of reasons... in my opinion of
>> course!
>
> Way wrong what to think - you can do RDP over a VPN, but you can't do
> half the things a VPN allows with just RDP. RDP exposes the OS directly,
> VPN's can be terminated at appliances without even hitting the
> servers/workstations.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Mike:

Thanks for the response.
Apparently- I'm brain dead as even with your very well written instructiions
I'm still as "nada".
Am I missing a step?

Can you possible give me a more complete process of steps to folow?
Thanks

"Mike" wrote:

> "GallEsco" <GallEsco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having problems doing the PVN in Windows XP Professional.
> > I went to my office and left the computers on, used all the wizards- in
> > other words- by the book- but nada- nothing.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208&Product=win2000
> >

> > I am using Bellsouth's router Westell (house)- and at the office I'm using
> > the D-Link router and the third router is Time Warner.
> > I get my IP from command prompt IPCconfig.
> > Also: I disconnected the Windows Security Alert.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> > Thanks
>
> Sounds like you need to hit your public ip address, the address assigned by
> your ISP. Then forward TCP port 3389 on your router to the internal ip
> address, normally 192.168.x.x. Works great for me!
>
> Mike

I would be concerned that performing operations via RDP without
encapsulating that traffic in a secure tunnel would expose the traffic to
sniffing, to the point that your entire session could be sniffed and any
"confidential" or "critical" infomation which would be transmitted could be
viewed relatively easily.

But, that's just my two-cents-worth.

- Eric McWhorter

"Michael" <DaShard@home.com> wrote in message
> Half the things that my VPN users do are connect Virus and Worm ridden
> PC's that tansfer that data straight up the VPN....!
> That's the half I don't like.....
>
> The half I do like on the RDP is that it's port configurable (secure
> enough for non-paranoids) and allows no direct network connection to the
> client.
>
> Anyways, your point is taken but I still have more lower maintenance cost,
> more productive clients on custom RDP ports than on VPN solutions....
>
> Most end-users aren't as 'savvy' or 'curious' as us techs let alone
> knowing what 'exposing the O/S' means....when a client doesn't have a
> license to drive his/her personal PC then why on earth make it a
> high-maintenance, learning curve solution with a questionable end-result
> VPN??
>
> That's my two bits worth....
>
> After all, what could possibly go wrong?
>
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <eVJKHDv#EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, DaShard@home.com
>> says...
>>> This is not the VPN solution requested by the user above but..... RDP
>>> beats
>>> VPN all to heck anyway for a number of reasons... in my opinion of
>>> course!
>>
>> Way wrong what to think - you can do RDP over a VPN, but you can't do
>> half the things a VPN allows with just RDP. RDP exposes the OS directly,
>> VPN's can be terminated at appliances without even hitting the
>> servers/workstations.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> spamfree999@rrohio.com
>> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

> "Michael" <DaShard@home.com> wrote in message
> > Half the things that my VPN users do are connect Virus and Worm ridden
> > PC's that tansfer that data straight up the VPN....!
> > That's the half I don't like.....
> >
> > The half I do like on the RDP is that it's port configurable (secure
> > enough for non-paranoids) and allows no direct network connection to the
> > client.

Mike, I missed this reply of yours - you do know that with a firewall
acting as the VPN end-point, that you don't have to allow users to use
ANY ports that you don't want them to use.

I have rules in our firewall that allow groups of VPN users to access
specific single servers, others that allow only RDP and others that
allow Radmin to all machines in the company....

You don't have to allow full access to all ports and networks just
because it's a VPN.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

How can I connect from an XP Home network to the other with XP Pro Remote PVN
> via ADSL Connection?

AND:
Can someone please give me a step-by-step on how to forward the TCP port
3389 to the internet IP address?

Thanks

"Mike" wrote:

> "GallEsco" <GallEsco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having problems doing the PVN in Windows XP Professional.
> > I went to my office and left the computers on, used all the wizards- in
> > other words- by the book- but nada- nothing.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208&Product=win2000
> >

> > I am using Bellsouth's router Westell (house)- and at the office I'm using
> > the D-Link router and the third router is Time Warner.
> > I get my IP from command prompt IPCconfig.
> > Also: I disconnected the Windows Security Alert.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> > Thanks
>
> Sounds like you need to hit your public ip address, the address assigned by
> your ISP. Then forward TCP port 3389 on your router to the internal ip
> address, normally 192.168.x.x. Works great for me!
>
> Mike

Latest posts