Assembling a Studio 8 Project (basic question)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2005 5:52:28 AM

Hello Good People

I have now got my head round Studio 8 (good manual shocker!) but find
that assembling an hour's material for a complete DVD is a bit of a
faff.

Is it OK to compose (trim, titles, etc) the captured video in smaller
sections (eg 'Trip to zoo') & then render these into discrete 5-minute
MPEG-2 files & then render an hour's worth together as a separate
project, perhaps adding menus.

I take it that there'll be no quality loss, this being a digital
medium?
Is this what everyone does?

My warmest regards to you all

Tony Jones
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:01:52 PM

Ant_in_Wales wrote:

> Hello Good People
>
> I have now got my head round Studio 8 (good manual shocker!) but find
> that assembling an hour's material for a complete DVD is a bit of a
> faff.
>
> Is it OK to compose (trim, titles, etc) the captured video in smaller
> sections (eg 'Trip to zoo') & then render these into discrete 5-minute
> MPEG-2 files & then render an hour's worth together as a separate
> project, perhaps adding menus.
>
> I take it that there'll be no quality loss, this being a digital
> medium?
> Is this what everyone does?
>
> My warmest regards to you all
>
> Tony Jones
Are you capturing in Full DV quality, saved as an AVI file? Most people
do not find an hours worth of video to hard to work with. However, if
you are limited on hard drive space, then you can edit in smaller chunks
then render the edited video to a new AVI file. This allows you to
delete the original footage and recover some hard drive space. When you
are ready to render your final DVD, you drag all the AVI files to the
timeline and you are ready to go.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:40:20 AM

On 11 Feb 2005 02:52:28 -0800, ant_in_wales@yahoo.com (Ant_in_Wales)
wrote:

>Hello Good People
>
>I have now got my head round Studio 8 (good manual shocker!) but find
>that assembling an hour's material for a complete DVD is a bit of a
>faff.
>
>Is it OK to compose (trim, titles, etc) the captured video in smaller
>sections (eg 'Trip to zoo') & then render these into discrete 5-minute
>MPEG-2 files & then render an hour's worth together as a separate
>project, perhaps adding menus.
>
>I take it that there'll be no quality loss, this being a digital
>medium?
>Is this what everyone does?
>
>My warmest regards to you all
>
>Tony Jones

Assuming that you are capturing with a camcorder video and have a DVD
burner you can can and should capture in AVI format. Since you failed
to state how you are capturing you left a major part of the statement
out. Most people that do video projects with Studio capture the video
to hard disks (hopefully with Firewire and to AVI). Then you can bring
in multi captured segements. one at a time and edit them with
transitions, menus, and a ton of other ways. Then you can burn them
to disc. DVD is the best. Stay away from CDrom Media.

Just a side note. For new users Studion 8 can be very flakey at times
and takes a lot of tender care to maintain. Version 9 or 9 plus has
been out quite a while. If you look real close in stores such as
Circuit City, Best Buy or Comp USA you can find it less the $60. It
is a lot more stable. Try to get the Studio Plus version since it
would be a upgrade price from the standard version. You will find
version 9 worth the expense and frustration. Good luck and if you
have children you will really want to save the past.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:55:08 PM

[Sound of screeching tyres]
[Car slides to a halt, driver gets out & walks to camera. When his
head films the frame he says...]
AVI? AVI? Interesting.
In the manual it says that MPEG-2 provides smaller file sizes &
'often' better quality. I'm not arguing here, just checking.
Are you saying that AVI provides a better quality? I have a 160GB HDD
so have no space problems (yet), I jsut want the best picture.
Do you recommend capturing to AVI, doing a few wee edits to tweak it
into a nice section, rendering each discrete episode into AVI
segments, and then burning a DVD from these?
[Backstory. My parents have HOURS of footage, and I will get my head
round it better by breaking it into manageable chunks & then
assembling those later.
They took HOURS of footage of baby sleeping, baby feeding, baby
sleeping again which desperately needs editing down.As an
ex-programmer & sometime writer I find it easier to break a project
down into manageable chunks]
You're right about 8 being flaky - 9 is £39 here so I may go mad &
upgrade.
Thanks to you all for answering my question without being nasty to a
newby - some of the discussions on these newsgroups quickly leave
branding marks on the unwary ass.
Cheers
Tony
!