Remote Assistance Disabled Error Message?

Hi, I've spent time searching for this specific error message, but see no
exact references, so here goes...

The Setup:
Me (in DC) - XP Pro SP2; Cable Modem; Linksys BEFW11S4 Router; Remote
Assistance state in System Properties/Remote, tried with Enabled AND Disabled
- neither worked; Windows Messenger w/ .NET access, signed on.
My Friend (in FLA) - XP Home SP2; Cable Modem; no router; Remote Assistance
state in System Properties/Remote, Enabled; MSN Messenger, signed on.

The Condition:
My friend opens Remote Assistance in Help and Support Center and clicks
"Invite someone to help you." Locates me in list (I'm the only one there) and
clicks Send Invitation. I receive a Windows Messenger chat window with the
following error message:

"...Invitation to start using Remote Assistance is declined because the
program is disabled or is not installed on your computer."

I have been racking my brain for days on this and can't figure it out! I
must be missing something simple.
--
Thanks,
Steve

I had the same problem until I turned off the Windows Firewall for the
duration of the remote help session. Try that if all other settings are set
to allow remote connections in System Properties. Good Luck

"Steve J" wrote:

> Hi, I've spent time searching for this specific error message, but see no
> exact references, so here goes...
>
> The Setup:
> Me (in DC) - XP Pro SP2; Cable Modem; Linksys BEFW11S4 Router; Remote
> Assistance state in System Properties/Remote, tried with Enabled AND Disabled
> - neither worked; Windows Messenger w/ .NET access, signed on.
> My Friend (in FLA) - XP Home SP2; Cable Modem; no router; Remote Assistance
> state in System Properties/Remote, Enabled; MSN Messenger, signed on.
>
> The Condition:
> My friend opens Remote Assistance in Help and Support Center and clicks
> "Invite someone to help you." Locates me in list (I'm the only one there) and
> clicks Send Invitation. I receive a Windows Messenger chat window with the
> following error message:
>
> "...Invitation to start using Remote Assistance is declined because the
> program is disabled or is not installed on your computer."
>
> I have been racking my brain for days on this and can't figure it out! I
> must be missing something simple.
> --
> Thanks,
> Steve

I'm sorry. I left out an important part of The Setup. Windows Firewall is
turned off, in favor of using Norton Internet Security on both machines.