With DivX5 on mars, in 3D, look at those stars!

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In ref: 1108136757.e1e6800c8a70a7a2bd4d681a52f92f9a@teranews

Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.dlr.de/dlr/News/mex-hrsc
>
> This is like being there...
> Maybe one day we will steer our personal spacecraft that way
> for a weekend trip....

Nice. But considering the bit rate of this clip, shouldn't it
have been better looking? I wonder what the source material
was?

BJ

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:59:51 -0800) it happened "Billy Joe"
<see.sig@invalid.org> wrote in <wKWdnSj3ioobeZHfRVn-ow@adelphia.com>:

>In ref: 1108136757.e1e6800c8a70a7a2bd4d681a52f92f9a@teranews
>
>Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.dlr.de/dlr/News/mex-hrsc
>>
>> This is like being there...
>> Maybe one day we will steer our personal spacecraft that way
>> for a weekend trip....
>
>Nice. But considering the bit rate of this clip, shouldn't it
>have been better looking? I wonder what the source material
>was?
>
>BJ
Well, the source material (at least some of it) was on the esa site.
How it is made is also explained on that link I gave.
The resolution is VERY GOOD, I watch with Linux mplayer (latest).
Those stars for example look awfully real (I have starry nights like
that here, you just stand under the sky and look up, amazing..)
But detail is limited by the camera system, distance, processing too perhaps.
Only way to get more detail would be to go there.... :)

I dunno how much they digitized and acquired that way, but a remote feature
to 'steer' would be cool, and blending in a HUD with distance, meters / pixel,
heading... Well the sun gives some idea... The stars too.

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In ref: 1108146325.bb5cc40b616f587f18b643b00e9706f0@teranews

Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:59:51 -0800) it happened
> "Billy Joe" <see.sig@invalid.org> wrote in
> <wKWdnSj3ioobeZHfRVn-ow@adelphia.com>:
>
>> In ref: 1108136757.e1e6800c8a70a7a2bd4d681a52f92f9a@teranews
>>
>> Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.dlr.de/dlr/News/mex-hrsc
>>>
>>> This is like being there...
>>> Maybe one day we will steer our personal spacecraft that way
>>> for a weekend trip....
>>
>> Nice. But considering the bit rate of this clip, shouldn't
>> it
>> have been better looking? I wonder what the source material
>> was?
>>
>> BJ

> Well, the source material (at least some of it) was on the
> esa site.
> How it is made is also explained on that link I gave.

I'm at the disadvantage of reading only one language and not
that one. Tho I'd really like to know the explanation. Do you
know if there is an English version of that page?

> The resolution is VERY GOOD, I watch with Linux mplayer
> (latest).

Yes, it is. My only point is that Divx does not need to be
encoded at 8 mbps video.

> Those stars for example look awfully real (I have starry
> nights like
> that here, you just stand under the sky and look up,
> amazing..)

Trust me, not a sight available in Los Angeles ;-0) However
there are still some few remote places in the USA where the
staggering sight that is the night sky can still be had.

> But detail is limited by the camera system, distance,
> processing too perhaps. Only way to get more detail would be
> to go there.... :)

Send postcards!!!

> I dunno how much they digitized and acquired that way, but a
> remote feature to 'steer' would be cool, and blending in a
> HUD with distance, meters / pixel, heading... Well the sun
> gives some idea... The stars too.

Any way, thanks for the URL. It was a good view.

BJ

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <wKWdnSj3ioobeZHfRVn-ow@adelphia.com>, see.sig@invalid.org
says...
> Subject: Re: With DivX5 on mars, in 3D, look at those stars!
> From: "Billy Joe" <see.sig@invalid.org>
> Newsgroups: alt.video.divx, rec.video.desktop
>
> In ref: 1108136757.e1e6800c8a70a7a2bd4d681a52f92f9a@teranews
>
> Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.dlr.de/dlr/News/mex-hrsc
> >
> > This is like being there...
> > Maybe one day we will steer our personal spacecraft that way
> > for a weekend trip....
>
> Nice. But considering the bit rate of this clip, shouldn't it
> have been better looking? I wonder what the source material
> was?
>
> BJ

Failed to play here. Is this video from the mars rover or something?
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com