Remote Assistance with Windows Messenger

When trying to have a family member initate a remote assistance session, I
get the message that I need to update my messenger. If I open the Remote
Assistance application it says that Windows Messenger is not installed. Is
the problem with the Messenger or the Remote Assistance application? Is it a
service problem or could it be a regestry error? Could this be an adverse
problem from a windows update? Any ideas could be helpful.
3 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance windows messenger

    brokenticker <brokenticker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > When trying to have a family member initate a remote assistance
    > session, I get the message that I need to update my messenger. If I
    > open the Remote Assistance application it says that Windows Messenger
    > is not installed. Is the problem with the Messenger or the Remote
    > Assistance application? Is it a service problem or could it be a
    > regestry error?

    Do you have (a) Windows Messenger, and/or (b) MSN Messenger installed?

    What version of (a) Windows Messenger, (b) MSN Messenger, do you have
    installed?

    Have you tried updating either as requested?

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    I have tried to use both version of messenger. Windows and MSN. Version 6.2
    as well as the new beta version. I betting that the problem problem revolves
    around it being a componant registration issue in the registry somewere. I
    have run across an issue with windows installer being miss directed to a temp
    file that didn't exist on a friends machine. The problem is that I'm not
    finding any reference information in the knowledge base of were to pinpoint
    the problem or how to reregister either the messenger or the remote
    assistance. So far I have tried to reinstall both the windows messenger and
    the MSN messenger which has not resolved the issue so my next line of attack
    is looking for information about reregistering the remote access within
    windows somehow.

    "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

    > brokenticker <brokenticker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > When trying to have a family member initate a remote assistance
    > > session, I get the message that I need to update my messenger. If I
    > > open the Remote Assistance application it says that Windows Messenger
    > > is not installed. Is the problem with the Messenger or the Remote
    > > Assistance application? Is it a service problem or could it be a
    > > regestry error?
    >
    > Do you have (a) Windows Messenger, and/or (b) MSN Messenger installed?
    >
    > What version of (a) Windows Messenger, (b) MSN Messenger, do you have
    > installed?
    >
    > Have you tried updating either as requested?
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    I have the exact same problem, please help

Messenger Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP