network over a cable connection

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
A friend of mine and I would like to network our computers over our separate cable modems. Is this possible, and if so, how would I go about doing it? Thanks.

Not really, no. Try using FTP servers and clients if file sharing is what you're after. If you're trying to share the bandwidth on one bill, you're wasting your time, unless you can run a cable from house to house.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
It seems possible, just find some program that allows you to create a WLAN (wide area Lan).

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Let me be a little more specific. We both have our own cable hookups and use XP. What spurred on this idea was an attempt to play a game of Warcraft 3 without using battle.net (he doesn't have a cd key at present - I know, for shame. I already told him) but we'd like to have such a connection for other reasons as well, such as file swapping for roleplaying games and the like. Sounds like it won't work, but it can't hurt to try. Thanks again.

Echto_Gammut

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
I imagine that you could utilize a VPN setup between your two systems, as long as you are both running Windows 2000 or better. With VPN acting as a tunneling protocol you can connect via your WAN connection in the same manner you would as a local connection. One of you would need to set yourselves up as the VPN server the other as the VPN client. When the VPN client accesses the server (say you), the VPN server will assign the client an address, which will appear as a local address to your game.
The installation of the server and config is a bit of a pain but fairly quickly done.

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Got this from http://www.battle.net/war3/faq/features.shtml:

Does Warcraft III have a Client/Server Model?
No. Due to the amount of units and the number of players in a game of Warcraft III, it is not possible to implement a straight Client/Server architecture as in Diablo II. We are using a variation of the peer-to-peer model that allows us to eliminate some of the abuses found in StarCraft games.

Are Modem/IPX games supported?
We support the TCP/IP protocol, which still allows modem users to directly connect through their ISP.

Can players play direct TCP/IP?
No.

I think this means you have to use battle.net across an isp, but I'm not sure.

If I were you I'd just set up a custom game with your buddy on batttle.net. Custom games are not like the ladder games; no XP or win/loss records. Hope that helps some.