Two Stupid Windows 7 Questions

Ron K

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Since you must do a “clean “ install when upgrading from XP to 7, I am curious what would prevent one from using the upgrade version as opposed to the full version when building a new computer and saving the difference in money? The only thing that comes to mind is that at some point during the installation you are asked to enter your XP product code. If that is the case and you wanted to build a new computer and plan to get rid of your old XP one, could you use the XP product code in the same way.
Being a somewhat anal person, who plans on upgrading from Vista to 7, where does someone get the Windows 7 stick on logo to replace the Vista one that came on the front of my computer when I bought it? I thought maybe one is included in the Windows 7 box, but that does not seem to be the case.

Ron K

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

I'm not trying to rip off Microsoft as I have a Vista computer and pre ordered W7 last spring. As a computer novice I just got to wondering what would be the difference between a new hard drive and one that XP which had to be removed, before W7 was installed.

Does the double-install trick made famous in Windows Vista still work?

As far as I can tell, yes. The short version goes like this: Boot from the upgrade media and do an installation without entering a product key. Then use the same media to “upgrade” your brand-new installation. I’m still testing this scenario but it seems to be supported. The technique is essentially unchanged from when I wrote about it shortly after the launch of Windows Vista back in February 2007.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1477&tag=content;col1