Sign in with
Your question

Win8 install from Win7 - Clean install or Upgrade?

Tags:
  • Windows 8
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 8
November 15, 2012 6:44:48 PM

From all I've read Windows 8 is a pretty good upgrade at a fantastic price, so definitely thinking of upgrading.

My System:
HTPC + Gaming gig
Win 7 64-bit Home Premium
AMD X4-640 with 890GX Mobo
120 GB SSD (OS) - One partition
2TB HDD (Files) - Three Partitions
Connected via HDMI to Receiver/Plasma TV
About to upgrade Video card to Radeon 7770

Apps/files installed:
Just basic Apps
Battlefield 3, SWTOR (can re-install, haven't played much)
iTunes!
A few tools/utilities (mostly used is VLC, Handbrake encoder)
Windows Media Center (get the Win8 free version)
ALL personal files such as movies, music, docs, emails, etc... are on the HDD drive and NOT on SSD/main drive

Question is, how to upgrade?
1. Upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and be done with it
2. Backup data, and do a clean install
3. Do a dual-boot Windows 7/Windows 8
4. If I did a clean install, is it possible to install my Win7 to another machine (got the original DVD)?

Biggest worry is if an upgrade would cause issues or slowness mixing win 7-8 files? Otherwise, I think because of my setup, upgrade is easiest... Also if a dual-boot makes any sense?

I don't have Steam installed, so not worried about that, Battlefield was DVD install.

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I think everyone's setup is different and I appreciate if folks could share their experience of Win7 upgrade to Win8 and if it caused any issues? I actually think Win8 UI is much better for HTPC setup, for instance to launch Apps, Photos, Music, Metro UI is much easier to use via remote control!

Thanks

More about : win8 install win7 clean install upgrade

a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 7:22:19 PM

I would upgrade all of my software, drivers, BIOS and SSD firmware on windows 7 first, make sure things run well then do the Windows 8 upgrade. (uninstall stuff you don't want or need) And set your BIOS for your drive to hot swap if you have that setting.
I would not dual boot, there really does not appear to be a need and you can get messed up because of minor file system changes. Drivers after 2009 have a pretty good chance of working or being upgraded.

- I would even disable my anti virus before I install.

m
l
November 15, 2012 7:34:01 PM

johnbl said:
I would upgrade all of my software, drivers, BIOS and SSD firmware on windows 7 first, make sure things run well then do the Windows 8 upgrade. (uninstall stuff you don't want or need) And set your BIOS for your drive to hot swap if you have that setting.
I would not dual boot, there really does not appear to be a need and you can get messed up because of minor file system changes. Drivers after 2009 have a pretty good chance of working or being upgraded.

- I would even disable my anti virus before I install.

Thanks, what's "hot swap" setting? How could that help?

So, basicall you're saying, uninstall what I don't need, upgrade all drivers, then upgrade and it should just be fine, correct?

Also, if I bought Win8 now, and didn't install, can I just wait and maybe install when SP1 comes out? As it's download from web, I thought that might be possible. I just don't wanna pay more than current offers (what's the best offer anyways?).

Thanks
m
l
November 15, 2012 8:05:44 PM

Clean install is always your best bet to get rid of any ghosts that might be lingering around from the old os. Especially with a new OS might be some compatibilty issues that dont arise right away.

I done a clean install with 8 with no issues pretty complete driver base for 8 had no issues with any hardware everything had a driver when installed with 8 as with 7 for the most part also. I updated all my main drivers afterwards for the added value in the software they supply such as video card and sound card drivers i beleve the default driver it installed for my soundcard though this go around was actually the manufacturer one with all the bells and whistles of the software suite they supply and not just a generic windows one. It installed web cam drivers and disk drivers that were all current also so no issues.

Best deal on win 8 atm is from microsoft itself for $40 you get the upgrade of pro which you can select clean install if you boot from the disk or stick to do the install im not sure of its verification process this time around though with 7 you could use an upgrade key without a prexisting OS install actually on the drive and have it work and activate as valid. With 8 I had a valid win 7 install on the disk and done the full install option and got to wipe the drive and clean install and activate it and come up legit. With 7 it needed to have a windows.old folder on the drive (folder which is supposed to have old OS in it could be empty though) to activate it or it would error out and would have to work around to get it to activate.

You shouldnt have an issue holding onto it and installing in the future would be stupid not to be unless they think its so solid that you would never have to reinstall clean again in the future or not expecting hardware issues.

One thing would do a belarc run on the system to get any keys for paid software or included software if you got an OEM machine to be able to install any of that stuff again such as DVD programs or editing software.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 8:54:30 PM

alexb75 said:
Thanks, what's "hot swap" setting? How could that help?

So, basicall you're saying, uninstall what I don't need, upgrade all drivers, then upgrade and it should just be fine, correct?

Also, if I bought Win8 now, and didn't install, can I just wait and maybe install when SP1 comes out? As it's download from web, I thought that might be possible. I just don't wanna pay more than current offers (what's the best offer anyways?).

Thanks

Hot swap setting is just a BIOS setting that indicates that the drive could be removed from the system without doing a shutdown. Older system might not have the BIOS setting (should use eject media to remove device even though people don't)

-Only reason I mention this is that some people have had issues with delays in their system after they upgrade to windows 8. Basically, it is kind of a work around before you hit the problem. Mostly, people with older SSD get delays when they put the OS on a SSD and too many writes are hitting a block of the SSD and the block has to be retired. for example, each block can be written to 3000- 5000 times and can not be written to again, but can still be read. When the another write attempt to the same block occurs, the SSD has to copy the block to a new block and return the new block to the OS filesystem. If the process takes over a certain amount of time the OS thinks the drive subsystem failed and tries to reset it. Ends up causing a "strange pause" that people notice. If you have a hotswap setting in the BIOS and enable it even if you don't remove the drive
the behavior of the OS changes and the issue is much reduced.

-As to upgrade or clean install. I always do a clean install on a generic desktop machine, or one where I know the hardware is not vendor custom. Laptops are another matter, they often have very custom hardware and custom versions of drivers that have been mangled to support that hardware. The upgrade assumes that if you have that device driver they will move it forward into the new OS so you will retain the all the functions of your laptop.

- PC vendors don't like to update drivers on older computers that they no longer sell. They would rather you buy a new PC from them where they make money rather than spending time and money fixing drivers for old machines they have already been paid for. Sometimes they give the driver source to Microsoft to maintain and fix and include in new OS versions, other times they don't for various reasons.

- bad part about upgrade is often there are a bunch of stupid drivers loaded that you don't even know about until you actually look at the date and timestamp of the loaded driver list. Look for driver dates older than 2009 or for ones with dates older than your OS to get a clue as to what you want to remove/update.

edit: I looked at memory dump of a windows 8 crash this morning and these drivers were still installed when they upgraded from windows 7. Most of them are old and should be removed or updated. I would expect the person does note even know they were installed when they ran some game or tried a free tunup software. And the upgrade just pulled them along into the next OS. Video driver from 2009, Log me in remote software from 2008, 2005 scanner to prevent you from running old games? Most are not wanted and should be removed or reinstalled after the upgrade.

ATMFD.DLL Adobe type Manager no file/date stamp
cdd.dll Canonical Display driver from Microsoft ? no date/file stamp
TSDDD.dll Framebuffer Display Driver
win32k.sys
secdrv.SYS 9/13/2006 5:18:38 AM Macrovision SafeDisc to protect some games
adfs.SYS 6/26/2008 12:52:37 PM adobe filesystem driver
LMIRfsDriver.sys 7/14/2008 8:26:56 AM log me in remote management software
000.fcl 9/26/2008 5:11:22 AM Cyberlink powerDVD or hp Madiasmart dvd driver
purendis.sys 10/27/2008 8:31:28 PM Network Magic pure networks, inc
pnarp.sys 10/27/2008 9:57:00 PM pure networks driver
GEARAspiWDM.sys 5/18/2009 4:17:04 AM (itunes driver)
dump_nvstor64.sys 6/22/2009 2:23:37 PM (old nvidia driver)
nvstor64.sys 6/22/2009 2:23:37 PM (old nvidia driver)
nvsmu.sys 6/28/2009 11:36:37 PM (old nvidia driver)
nvmf6264.sys 7/30/2009 3:48:18 PM (old nvidia driver)
SCDEmu.SYS 11/8/2009 7:27:29 PM powerISO driver
nvBridge.kmd 11/20/2009 7:09:47 PM (nvidia driver)
nvlddmkm.sys 11/20/2009 7:40:46 PM (nvidia driver)
ElRawDsk.sys 10/26/2010 1:34:13 AM (Eldos Corportion driver for RAWDIsk)
speedfan.sys 3/18/2011 8:08:46 AM (Speedfan reads temp and check SMART info in drives)
nvraid.sys 9/12/2011 4:01:54 PM (nvidia)
athrx.sys 3/21/2012 7:26:22 PM Atheros WLan card
TuneUpUtilitiesDriver64.sys 5/25/2012 2:28:19 AM From TuneUp software
RTKVHD64.sys 6/19/2012 12:50:56 AM Realtek driver
Secdrv.sys 2005 Macrovision Security driver

m
l
November 15, 2012 9:59:23 PM

Thanks, my HTPC is custom built, I built it myself and it's 1yr old, using mostly AMD and MSI drivers. Motherboard is 890GX board which is one of the latest boards and chipsets for AMD Athlon before their platform upgrade.

SSD is OCZ Vertex 2, not sure if that's gonna have any delay issues with what you described.

I think I will go for clean install, and will wait a bit until the OS is patched a bit.
m
l
November 15, 2012 10:01:39 PM

I'd do a clean install with dual boot keeping your old windows 7 too, oh wait that is what i did. Works great.
m
l
November 15, 2012 10:06:15 PM

Unless things have changed, I read that the only option for NON-EOM windows buyers of Windows 8 was the upgrade. The only clean installs available were to OEM vendors. If that is true ,then you really don't have a choice and if it is true, just another reason you shouldn't bother with Windows 8.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 10:26:07 PM

alexb75 said:
Thanks, my HTPC is custom built, I built it myself and it's 1yr old, using mostly AMD and MSI drivers. Motherboard is 890GX board which is one of the latest boards and chipsets for AMD Athlon before their platform upgrade.

SSD is OCZ Vertex 2, not sure if that's gonna have any delay issues with what you described.

I think I will go for clean install, and will wait a bit until the OS is patched a bit.

Update the firmware on the vertex ssd
m
l
November 15, 2012 11:02:48 PM

johnbl said:
Update the firmware on the vertex ssd

I believe SSD firmware upgrade wipes all data, right?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 16, 2012 2:14:10 AM

The early one did but they are much better now. Often with a windows program and no data wipe. You have to check the patch notes. The last one I did only took a few mins and fixed a lot of issues, I had not upgraded it for 16 months. And no wipe of the drive required.
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:43:16 AM

I upgraded from Win7 to 8 and lost nothing

Games, programs, files, settings all there.
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:16:58 PM

You can do a clean install via the upgrade purchas, very simple just google it.
m
l
November 17, 2012 4:55:23 AM

I just did a straight forward upgrade and it seemed to keep all my stuff ok. However after a few days I reinstalled windows 7 because windows 8 is rubbish.
m
l
November 24, 2012 11:35:35 PM

Oli999 said:
I just did a straight forward upgrade and it seemed to keep all my stuff ok. However after a few days I reinstalled windows 7 because windows 8 is rubbish.

Why? You didn't like Metro interface? performance? or what?

I actually think Metro interface would work perfect for HTPC vs. Windows 7 desktop!
m
l
!