Remote hard drive activity light?

I'm using Remote desktop to control my other PC. It usally is doing video
conversions which takes quite some time. I find myself wondering at times if
the remote system has frozen or is just accessing the hard drive saving gigs
of data. I end up walking to the other room to investigate which defeats the
Remote Desktop's usage.

Is there a small program that places a hard drive activity light in the Icon
Notification bar or something simular to the Network Connections blinking
icons?

right click on the taskbar, open task manager
you should be able to then tell how the system is performing.