Remote Desktop on home network

January 16, 2005 9:36:02 PM

Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
require XP Pro? Seems as though I should be able to, but all
documentation I ever see refers to Pro.

Anyone?????
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 9:36:03 PM

Reply to message from Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> (Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:36:02) about
"Remote Desktop on home network":

> Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it require XP Pro?
> Seems as though I should be able to, but all documentation I ever see refers to Pro.

> Anyone?????

Use UltraVNC with its encryption plugin as an alternate...Its easy to find using Google...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 9:48:45 PM

Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
> require XP Pro?

XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot
make RD calls to an XP Home PC.

Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

so what's the point of having the client if it won't work with xp home??
isn't that kind of stupid???

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
> > require XP Pro?
>
> XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot
> make RD calls to an XP Home PC.
>
> Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 9:48:47 PM

Reply to message from "greggbruce" <greggbruce@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 16 Jan
2005 13:35:02) about "Re: Remote Desktop on home network":

> so what's the point of having the client if it won't work with xp home?? isn't that
> kind of stupid???

> "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

>> Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it require XP Pro?

>> XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot make RD
>> calls to an XP Home PC.

>> Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.

>> --
>> Robin Walker [MVP Networking] rdhw@cam.ac.uk

The XP Home RD client is used to access/control XP Pro desktops running Remote Desktop in
'host' mode or to access W2003/2000 Servers running Terminal Servers...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:13:21 PM

Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:
> Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
>>require XP Pro?
>

> XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot
> make RD calls to an XP Home PC.
>
> Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.

Rats.......

Thanks. That clears that up.
!