Remote Desktop on home network

Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
require XP Pro? Seems as though I should be able to, but all
documentation I ever see refers to Pro.

Anyone?????
5 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop home network

    Reply to message from Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> (Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:36:02) about
    "Remote Desktop on home network":

    > Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it require XP Pro?
    > Seems as though I should be able to, but all documentation I ever see refers to Pro.

    > Anyone?????

    Use UltraVNC with its encryption plugin as an alternate...Its easy to find using Google...

    ------
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

    Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
    > require XP Pro?

    XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot
    make RD calls to an XP Home PC.

    Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    so what's the point of having the client if it won't work with xp home??
    isn't that kind of stupid???

    "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

    > Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
    > > require XP Pro?
    >
    > XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot
    > make RD calls to an XP Home PC.
    >
    > Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Reply to message from "greggbruce" <greggbruce@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 16 Jan
    2005 13:35:02) about "Re: Remote Desktop on home network":

    > so what's the point of having the client if it won't work with xp home?? isn't that
    > kind of stupid???

    > "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

    >> Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>> Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it require XP Pro?

    >> XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot make RD
    >> calls to an XP Home PC.

    >> Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.

    >> --
    >> Robin Walker [MVP Networking] rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    The XP Home RD client is used to access/control XP Pro desktops running Remote Desktop in
    'host' mode or to access W2003/2000 Servers running Terminal Servers...

    ------

    Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:
    > Stan Cook <stan0934@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Can you remote desktop between two computers with XP Home or does it
    >>require XP Pro?
    >

    > XP Home does not support being controlled by Remote Desktop: so you cannot
    > make RD calls to an XP Home PC.
    >
    > Both XP Home and XP Pro contain the Remote Desktop client.

    Rats.......

    Thanks. That clears that up.

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP