Remote Desktop/Web Connection behind router

Can anyone help me out with getting my remote desktop working? How do i get
it to work if i'm using a wireless router? Obviously it doesn't let me in
because of the firewall protection that the router provides (NETGEAR
MR814v2). I already have a dynamic IP from dnydns.org but what do i do after
that? I know that there's port forwarding involved and all that but if
someone can give me a step by step procedure that would be great!

My second question is getting the Remoted desktop web connection to work. I
did all the necessary installations such as installing the windows component
IIS and tsweb. I'm at a loss after that. Please advise.

Much appreciated!
1 answer Last reply
More about remote desktop connection router

    For starters, I'd suggest you take a look at the Documentation
    folder on the CD that came with your router. Within that folder
    is a file called FullManual.pdf. That's where you'll find answers
    to a lot of your questions.

    That said, here's how to set up port forwarding and connect
    remotely:

    1. Access the router's web interface.
    Go to Start -> Run. Enter the following in the Open box and hit
    OK:

    http://192.168.0.1

    In the "Connect to" box enter admin as the user name and password
    as the password (If you've changed the default values enter the
    correct info).

    2. Set up Address reservations for the PC's you wish to access.
    On the left, scroll down to Advanced and select "LAN IP Setup".
    Now scroll down the "LAN IP Setup" section to "Address
    Reservation" and select Add.
    You should see a listing of the PC's currently active on your
    LAN. Select the machines you want to access remotely and click
    Add. Record the IP addresses assigned because you'll need them in
    the next step.

    3. Set up Port Forwarding.
    On the left, select Port Forwarding.
    In the Port Forwarding section select "Add Custom Service".
    Enter an appropriate name (such as PC1Remote).
    Enter the starting port 3389 and ending port 3389.
    Enter the IP address of the machine you'll be connecting to most
    often.
    Click Apply.
    If your only accessing one machine you can close the router
    interface.
    If you wish to access other machines on your LAN do the
    following.
    Enter another name (such as PC2Remote).
    Enter the starting port as 3390 and the ending port as 3389.
    Enter the appropriate IP address.
    Do this for all the machines you wish to access except increase
    the starting port number by one each time.

    4. Connect to your machines.
    From a remote location launch Remote Desktop Connection.
    In the Computer box enter the name you got from DynDNS.org.
    This should allow you to connect to the first machine you setup
    for port forwarding.
    For other machines you simply append the starting port number to
    your domain name
    (e.g. Yourdomain.dyndns.org:3390).

    Keep in mind that if you're using the built-in Windows Firewall
    you're going to have to enable Remote Desktop in the Exceptions
    page. Also, if you're running any third party firewalls then
    you're going to have to configure them to allow access.

    I'll have to pass on your question about web connection. Maybe
    one of the experts here will be able to help you with that.

    Good luck

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "WiZEGUY" <WiZEGUY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me out with getting my remote desktop working?
    > How do i get
    > it to work if i'm using a wireless router? Obviously it
    > doesn't let me in
    > because of the firewall protection that the router provides
    > (NETGEAR
    > MR814v2). I already have a dynamic IP from dnydns.org but what
    > do i do after
    > that? I know that there's port forwarding involved and all
    > that but if
    > someone can give me a step by step procedure that would be
    > great!
    >
    > My second question is getting the Remoted desktop web
    > connection to work. I
    > did all the necessary installations such as installing the
    > windows component
    > IIS and tsweb. I'm at a loss after that. Please advise.
    >
    > Much appreciated!

Remote Desktop Routers Windows XP