Watching DVR-MS over remote desktop

GREGORY

I have a media center 2005 PC. When I log into that PC over remote desktop
100Mbps LAN connection, and attempt to watch DVR-MS files using windows media
Player 10, the player attempts to download codecs from the internet. Then it
plays the files with audio only and no picture.

When I attempt to play the same files locally, they play fine on both Media
Center and in WMP10.

Why can't I watch the DVR-MS files using WMP10 over remote desktop when my
LAN connection is fast enough?

You will not be able to do this. MS deliberately removed this feature due to
copyrights issues.

"PK" <PK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You will not be able to do this. MS deliberately removed this feature due
> copyrights issues.

I'm not so sure it's due to a copyright issues as the fact that the Media
Player is probably using an overlay window and therefore the video is
bypassing the normal video driver 'hooks' that Remote Desktop uses to send
screen displays back to the remote client.

In any case, I doubt the original poster would be happy with the performance
of the video even if it did work (it would tend to be 'choppy' -- even
though there's plenty of bandwidth, Remote Desktop wouldn't be synchronizing
screen updates with the video); a far better solution is to map a drive from
the DVR machine and just play the file directly within the local Media
Player.

GREGORY

Thanks for the info. I do know that it is possible to map the drive, but I
was trying to assess whether it would be possible to play DVR-MS over remote
desktop on an Apple Powerbook - before I buy one.

I know that there is WMP 9 for Apple, but am not sure whether that plays
DVR-MS. If it doesn't, mapping the drive would be a waste of time.