Remote Desktop Web Connection

January 18, 2005 11:47:02 PM

I'm trying to get the remote desktop web connection working. I've already
installed the IIS component and the TSWeb. Is there anything else i'm
missing? A step by step procedure would be appreciated!
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:57:41 AM

Did you also configure IIS for remote desktop? Did you test this over your local LAN from another
local PC? From an old reply from last year sometime..

****************************
"As far as the web based method is concerned, that is setup on the home XP Pro PC that your trying
to access remotely. Use "Add/Remove Windows Components" to install IIS. When you do this you also
need to install the "Remote Desktop Web Connection" functionality. In the IIS install window click
on "World Wide Web Services -> Details" and check the checkbox for "Remote Desktop Web Connection".
Note that if your behind a firewall/NAT/router at home then you also need to open TCP Port 80 (IIS)
in addition to TCP Port 3389 (RDP) for this to work. Its also possible your ISP blocks TCP Port 80."

I don't run IIS on my machine, but I believe if you go to "Start -> Run" and type services.msc at
the command prompt, then you should see a IIS service in the resulting list. Make sure its current
state is "Started"...

Lastly, why not just use the normal non-web based Remote Desktop method. Running IIS is a potential
security issue and some ISP's block TCP Port 80 access for residential service users...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!