blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My parents have one of those old 35mm players and a bunch of tapes. What's
the best way to get those to DVD? Any experiences with types of shops that
do this? Prices?

Thanks!

blah wrote:
> My parents have one of those old 35mm players and a bunch of tapes.
> What's the best way to get those to DVD? Any experiences with types
> of shops that do this? Prices?
>
> Thanks!

old 35mm players??
and a bunch of tapes ??
A little more info might help. I, for one, have no idea what "an old 35 mm.
player" even is. With the exception of Hollywood-style movies, the only
other 35 mm. I know of is slides. If that's the case, any good photo place
can do a transfer from slide to digital for you. Prices will range widely
($1 to $3 each here in Canada) so shop around for the best price/quality
combo.

Mike

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry! I meant slides. I thought something was wrong when I wrote that
sentence.

"blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
> My parents have one of those old 35mm players and a bunch of tapes.
> What's the best way to get those to DVD? Any experiences with types of
> shops that do this? Prices?

35mm is a film format commonly used for motion pictures and still slides.
I'm not
aware of a 35mm tape format. Very few people have 35mm motion pictures
sitting around the house, but lots of people have 35mm slides.

The closet tape format to 35mm would be 1" tape. It was commonly used for
multitrack audio recording and broadcast video recording. You don't tend to
see either of these around people's houses either.

Film is typically a much heavier material than tape. Film also has sprocket
holes
down the both sides for 35mm and 16 mm, but only one side for 8mm. another
characteristic of film is that you can see pictures if you look close, while
tape is
just a solid dull color (brown or black usually)

35mm is around an 1 1/4" wide; 16mm is ~5/8" wide, and 8mm is just over 1/4"
16mm film was used for home movies for a period early in the last century.
It
was mostly replaced by 8mm film by the 50s. Most often 16mm used an optical
sound track which looks like a squiggle running down one side of the film.
\Magnetic soundtracks were sometimes used for audio recording. Especially
for news gathering. Larger productions used double system sound. That means
that the audio was recorded on a separate machine. Film is still done that
way
for the most part. 16mm and 8mm home movies usually lacked sound.

There were 2 incompatible 8mm formats that were common. Standard 8mm
film had a slightly smaller image, while Super 8 had a little more picture
area,
and was sometimes equipped with an magnetic audio track.

In the 70s people started moving from 8mm film to VHS tape. A sad day :)
There was also a competing format called Betamax which was arguably not as
ugly as VHS, but they were both ugly. Then came 8mm video, followed by High
8
video and it's VHS counterpart S-VHS. These were an improvement over VHS,
but still a bit of a yawn. None of these formats really got very wide
acceptance.

Armed with this information, go back and look more closely at those 35mm
tapes and see if you can figure out what they really are.

David

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

lol

Now I'm getting confused. You probably know what they are better than I do.

Maybe I meant 8mm slides. They had no sound, I know that. They were played
on a projector up on the wall. I'll ask my parents so I know for sure.

Anyhoo, what's a good way to get those transferred? Sorry about the
confusion.

Thanks!

> lol
>
> Now I'm getting confused. You probably know what they are better than
> I do.
>
> Maybe I meant 8mm slides. They had no sound, I know that. They were
> played on a projector up on the wall. I'll ask my parents so I know
> for sure.
>
> Anyhoo, what's a good way to get those transferred? Sorry about the
> confusion.

Even more confusion. "8mm slides"? I remember a "mini-slide"
format that Kodak tried to flog ~30 years ago. It was around
16mm size IIRC. But 8mm still images, particularly projected
to a large screen would look pretty ragged.

Perhaps you should cite the make and model number of the
player/projector/whatever device and we can work backwards
from that. Or post some pictures of the device and media
somewhere.

"blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
> My parents have one of those old 35mm players and a bunch of tapes.
> What's the best way to get those to DVD? Any experiences with types of
> shops that do this? Prices?
>
> Thanks!

Do it yourself
(1) Scanner with a film adapter - convert to jpg, commercial software such
as ULead picture show to burn to dvd
(2) digital camera with a slide adapter that will allow you to copy the
slide as a jpeg

The Scanner is probably the cheapest way to go

--
Nigel Brooks

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yep, I'm just going to go look at it this weekend. I obviously am getting
mixed up here.

> "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
>> lol
>>
>> Now I'm getting confused. You probably know what they are better than I
>> do.
>>
>> Maybe I meant 8mm slides. They had no sound, I know that. They were
>> played on a projector up on the wall. I'll ask my parents so I know for
>> sure.
>>
>> Anyhoo, what's a good way to get those transferred? Sorry about the
>> confusion.
>
> Even more confusion. "8mm slides"? I remember a "mini-slide"
> format that Kodak tried to flog ~30 years ago. It was around
> 16mm size IIRC. But 8mm still images, particularly projected
> to a large screen would look pretty ragged.
>
> Perhaps you should cite the make and model number of the
> player/projector/whatever device and we can work backwards
> from that. Or post some pictures of the device and media
> somewhere.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK, it's 8mm film.
> Yep, I'm just going to go look at it this weekend. I obviously am getting
> mixed up here.
> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
>>> lol
>>>
>>> Now I'm getting confused. You probably know what they are better than I
>>> do.
>>>
>>> Maybe I meant 8mm slides. They had no sound, I know that. They were
>>> played on a projector up on the wall. I'll ask my parents so I know for
>>> sure.
>>>
>>> Anyhoo, what's a good way to get those transferred? Sorry about the
>>> confusion.
>>
>> Even more confusion. "8mm slides"? I remember a "mini-slide"
>> format that Kodak tried to flog ~30 years ago. It was around
>> 16mm size IIRC. But 8mm still images, particularly projected
>> to a large screen would look pretty ragged.
>>
>> Perhaps you should cite the make and model number of the
>> player/projector/whatever device and we can work backwards
>> from that. Or post some pictures of the device and media
>> somewhere.

"blah" wrote ...
> OK, it's 8mm film.

There are many vendors that will transfer 8mm film to video.
Some are pretty simple (no better than you could do yourself
with a projector a camera, and a white wall), and ranging to
quite sophisticated (image scanning, wet gate, digital recording,
etc.)

What is your budget. Do you fancy doing it yourself?
What is your expectation of quality? How important
is the information?