how compressed is digital video from a digital camcorder?

How compressed is the digital video that comes from the typical
camcorder? I've read in some places that it achieves somewhere around a
4-5x compression over just simple 4:2:2.

Is it something like low loss MJPEG or I frame only mpeg?

tks
Don
1 answer Last reply
More about compressed digital video digital camcorder

    "don" <nospam@wtez.net> schreef in bericht
    > How compressed is the digital video that comes from the typical camcorder?
    > I've read in some places that it achieves somewhere around a 4-5x
    > compression over just simple 4:2:2.
    >
    > Is it something like low loss MJPEG or I frame only mpeg?

    Don,

    You might find many answers on
    http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#DVformats. I myself am still
    filming with a Hi8 camcorder (SONY TR3200E) and used to capture my tapes
    using Pinnacle's DC10plus card which uses hardware MJPEG compression. The
    maximum bitrate of 6 MB/s gave me an excellent quality. However, for capture
    I now use a Canopus ADVC-55 analog-to-DV converter and the quality is even
    better, finer detail and less colour fringing and that at a bitrate of only
    3.6 MB/sec.

    I think DV compression is better than low loss MJPEG compression, simply
    because the compression methods have improved.
    --
    Lou van Wijhe
    Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/

Tuner Cards Digital Video Camcorders Graphics