Game/Monitor forces 24p@1080 res, unplayable

mancid rilk

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I'm an avid Company of Heroes fan and was really excited to play it on my 46" Samsung D6000 model TV until I actually attempted it. For some reason when I play COH at 1920x1080, the TV goes into a film mode and displays at 24p, which as you guessed forces 24FPS or 23.997 according to the in game benchmark, ha. The game runs at 60p in windowed mode, but that can only be activated when I hit the windows key to view something on the desktop and immediately goes back to full screen upon resuming my game.

I talked to Samsung on the phone and they claim it's on the game's end. .which is strange because there is no 24p option in any menu. I switched from a Radeon 6950 to a Geforce GTX 670 because I heard about an Nvidia option to force resolutions and frame rates (please let me know if you feel that would work and how in this situation) but I couldn't manage that either.

Another avenue i'd like to explore is how to change the game launch options to force a windowed mode 100% of the time, any thoughts on that route would be appreciated as well.

I'm really frustrated with this and would ultra appreciate a solution, the 24 frame problem is much worse than just a low frame rate, it makes the game unplayable because of syncing issues and massive screen tearing.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Maybe it is a game problem because game problems usually cause things to happen which were not supposed to (like run at 24 fps on fullscreen). Can you try windowed but still 1080p? It ought to look like fullscreen but it may fix the problem. Another test is to run any other game at 1080p full screen and see if it works to see if it's the TV's fault or not.

mancid rilk

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah, I run battlefield 3 and Star Wars the Old Republic just fine 1920x1080@60hz. .Company of Heroes runs at 1920x1080@60hz when it's windowed, but as soon as it transitions to full screen it goes back to 24hz.

I would like advice on how to make the game run constantly in a windowed mode or at 60hz in full screen.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I am not sure since I don't have the game but try going to settings and unchecking fullscreen mode (or checking windowed mode as they both do the same thing) and setting the resolution to 1920x1080. You can also try this:

1. Find the shortcut for the computer game you want to play in windowed mode instead of full screen.
2. Right click on the shortcut, select Properties.
3. In the Target field add: -window at the end.
4. Click OK.

mancid rilk

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I'm using an HDMI cable to connect to my monitor, the target option is greyed out under properties on the game launch icon. .any way to fix this? I think this will fix the problem if I can get the game to run permanently in a window.

mancid rilk

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
It's been a few months now and I'm pretty desperate for an answer. I called Samsung Customer support for the 2nd time, they insist that somewhere the computer is forcing 24P. The game really isn't playable windowed because of the an odd thing that happens where I can't scroll down or right when playing windowed.

Is there a way to to disable 1920x1080/24 from the nvidia control panel? I tried making a custom resolution but it does nothing, as the default setting is already 1920x1080/60 frames, which is what I want. Also, is there a way to force a resolution/frame rate for certain programs?

Check out the comment below on the most similar thread I could find: the only problem is, I don't have the game activated through steam. Is there another way to force a refresh rate, perhaps in the game's launch icon properties?

"Or use force refresh option.

Right-click CoH in Steam library and select Properties. Select Set Launch Options... and enter "-refresh 60" (without quotes).

This will set the refresh rate to 60Hz.

24p is an HDMI refresh rate (often called movie mode since it's the refresh rate of HD movies) and I guess it was not common when CoH was made. Since it's the first on the list for selected resolution it's what the game picks. Newer games tend to correctly select 1080/60 rather than 1080/24p."