Counter Strike stopped working

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 6, 2004 5:35:05 PM

I'm (constantly) trying to get Counter Strike to work on 3 out of 6
PCs at a cyber cafe, and it's always a pain. I don't play those games
myself anymore (Doom was never so complicated) so I don't know
everything about it, but I understand that you must have either CS or
Half Life retail versions. On one PC recently it was working but then
out of the blue the Icons on the screen turned to the icons windows
shows when it can't find the icon file, and the program won't open. It
open when logged in as admin, but the icons are screwed up there as
well. I've gotten CS to work when logged in as a user before, and I
know I fixed the icon issue on another PC in the past, but now I can't
remember how and for the life of me I just can't seem to fix it. I
know I could try and install it again, but I don't remember if I need
to reinstall HL, CS, or Steam, or which version....ugg. I know this is
a vague problem so maybe I shoulnd't expect more than a vague answer,
but has anyone else had similar problems. It just seems like getting
CS to work on 3 different machines for more than a week is impossible;
there's always something wrong with one of them, even if it was
working fine the day before.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:37:57 AM

Do you have 1.5 installed , or the STEAM - ing pile with 1.6 ?

"fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I'm (constantly) trying to get Counter Strike to work on 3 out of 6
> PCs at a cyber cafe, and it's always a pain.

<snip>
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:07:01 PM

You will need to run steam as administrator in order for it to work, no way
will it work as a guest account.

www.stressed-out.org
"fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I'm (constantly) trying to get Counter Strike to work on 3 out of 6
> PCs at a cyber cafe, and it's always a pain. I don't play those games
> myself anymore (Doom was never so complicated) so I don't know
> everything about it, but I understand that you must have either CS or
> Half Life retail versions. On one PC recently it was working but then
> out of the blue the Icons on the screen turned to the icons windows
> shows when it can't find the icon file, and the program won't open. It
> open when logged in as admin, but the icons are screwed up there as
> well. I've gotten CS to work when logged in as a user before, and I
> know I fixed the icon issue on another PC in the past, but now I can't
> remember how and for the life of me I just can't seem to fix it. I
> know I could try and install it again, but I don't remember if I need
> to reinstall HL, CS, or Steam, or which version....ugg. I know this is
> a vague problem so maybe I shoulnd't expect more than a vague answer,
> but has anyone else had similar problems. It just seems like getting
> CS to work on 3 different machines for more than a week is impossible;
> there's always something wrong with one of them, even if it was
> working fine the day before.
July 8, 2004 7:01:47 PM

But it used to run under the other user (not guest account, but a
'less than admin' user account), until someone installed stream.

!