Closed

Wiped Memory card

I have done something stupid. I took about 200 photos on holiday recently in
Ireland . On my return tried to download them to my computer and
accidentally wiped the memory card clean instead of downloading. Does anyone
know of anywhere I can take my memory card for them to retrieve the
information?

Thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about wiped memory card

    "Vincent Burgum" <vincent@burgum.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have done something stupid. I took about 200 photos on holiday recently
    >in
    > Ireland . On my return tried to download them to my computer and
    > accidentally wiped the memory card clean instead of downloading. Does
    > anyone
    > know of anywhere I can take my memory card for them to retrieve the
    > information?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    What type of card, What camera ?
    Wonder if http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    might work

    "Vincent Burgum" <vincent@burgum.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have done something stupid. I took about 200 photos on holiday recently
    >in
    > Ireland . On my return tried to download them to my computer and
    > accidentally wiped the memory card clean instead of downloading. Does
    > anyone
    > know of anywhere I can take my memory card for them to retrieve the
    > information?

    A friend recently recovered images from a formatted drive using the
    photorescue program from datarescue.com.

    Run their demo first to see if it finds anything before buying.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    Vincent Burgum wrote:
    > I have done something stupid. I took about 200 photos on holiday recently in
    > Ireland . On my return tried to download them to my computer and
    > accidentally wiped the memory card clean instead of downloading. Does anyone
    > know of anywhere I can take my memory card for them to retrieve the
    > information?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Do it yourself with the free utility Restoration.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlrestoration.html

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:26:27 +0000 (UTC), "Pilbs" wrote:

    >"Vincent Burgum" <vincent@burgum.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I have done something stupid. I took about 200 photos on holiday recently
    >>in
    >> Ireland . On my return tried to download them to my computer and
    >> accidentally wiped the memory card clean instead of downloading. Does
    >> anyone
    >> know of anywhere I can take my memory card for them to retrieve the
    >> information?
    >
    >What type of card, What camera ?
    >Wonder if http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    >might work

    It should work very well with a memory card reader (or if the OP's
    camera "gets a drive letter of it's own" - unlike my Canon A60)

    With a card reader even Jpegdump by Kurt Stege -
    http://www.goto.onlinehome.de/dsc/jpegdump.htm - should work very
    well if you can figure out what/how to write in the Command Line
    (it's just 2 lines). I rescued over 100 pictures with this program
    (half of them very small thumbnails, though) from a co-workers
    seemingly "blank" card when he had done something to it he shouldn't
    have or pushed a button too many.

    The utility from PCInspector might be better if you have fragmented
    pictures, i.e. pictures stored in more than one place
    (non-contiguously) - resulting from deleting pictures out of order
    and making the free space on the card more than one place, as they
    will appear to be broken/unsalvageable with Jpegdump.

    Both programs will not write to the card, only read an image of the
    memory card - thus preserving the card for another (picture) file
    recovery tool if it should not work for your card.

    And from my experience theese words are worth remebering:

    "What to do before loosing the images

    You can rise the chances of recovering deleted images in an accident
    by using a simple stratgy. And jpegdump cannot recover fragmented
    jpeg files. So try not to fragment the file system on your memory
    card. You can do this best, when you delete all files on the memory
    card after transmitting them to the PC. Don't delete any single
    files on the memory card. If you want to delete a single image after
    taking the photo, do it immediately. The last stored picture may be
    deleted without much risk of fragmentation. Deleting any other image
    will result in a fragmentation of the free memory in the card, so
    don't do that, if you want to be prepared for the case of an
    accident."

    i.e. format the card before each seperate trip/use/session and do
    not delete any other picture than the last one captured.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Vincent Burgum" <vincent@burgum.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have done something stupid. I took about 200 photos on holiday recently
    in
    > Ireland . On my return tried to download them to my computer and
    > accidentally wiped the memory card clean instead of downloading. Does
    anyone
    > know of anywhere I can take my memory card for them to retrieve the
    > information?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    google for PHOTOREC.EXE (made by art plus software), there's a free tool
    that does the job admirably. not the fastest, but who cares when it does
    what it's supposed to?
  6. three months ago i also done a very stupid thing and was very upset after that. I was taking pictures using my canon digital camera in the deep jungles of Africa when i went for camping over there. I was using 512 MB SD memory card which was going to be full very soon. As it become full, i eject the card while the camera was on. this was the big mistake because when i came back to my home and i saw there was only 20 photos where as i had shooted near 180 photos. it was a big shock for me. I tried looking for the solution over the web. i also download different application but all fails. Then i tried Memory card recovery which was the ultimate problem solver for me. I downloaded it from http://www.memory-cardrecovery.co.uk. It was named Memory Card Recovery and recovered all my pictures from that memory card :bounce: i was jumping like this to see all those pics back, all because of Memory Card Recoery

    Regards,

    Jolie
  7. Yes, it's possible to get your lost photos back. Wiping out the drive won't necessarily make the data in the drive erased permanently. When you wipe files the data itself isn't deleted forever, just the index entry that says where the data for those files is located. The space containing the deleted files is also now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead. So the photo data are still intact and safe there in the drive disk. But you have to rely on a file recovery programs to retrieve the data. or more precisely some photo recovery programs. I think Wondershare Photo Recovery might help. It can not only recover photos, but also your lost videos and music files.
  8. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Cameras Download Memory Card Computer Peripherals