problem using Sony DCR-CX1000E camcorder as a VCR

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/Shared/ASP/redirect.asp?red=http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3800545151.pdf
(beware wrapping url)

I gotta problem with a Sony camcorder model DCR-VX1000 trying to get it to
act as a VCR. I want to record stuff onto its DV tape using the firewire
connection. Page 54 of the maunal clearly shows connecting two camcorders
(using the DV in/out ports) together you can use one as a player and one as
a recorder to do tape copying and even video editing.
I am trying to play video on my PC and record it onto the camcorder using a
firewire cable but it won't work. I am using adobe premier pro to play the
avi file and this program does output it's content to firewire and I know
it's working okay. The camcorder starts recording okay but the viewfinder is
black and there's no image on it or on the tape. I've been through the menus
on the camcorder and no-where does it say you have to switch the camcorder
to VCR mode. According to the manual the camcorder should put itself into
'DV in' mode as soon as it detects a signal being played down the firewire
cable but it doesn't work that way with my Sony DCR-VX1000. It may be that
it will only work if it recognises the signal as coming from another Sony
camcorder but I'm only guessing here. I've tried sending an e-mail to Sony
but heard no reply. Thanks for any help.

is it an early pal model? if so, record in was disabled (tax thing in the
ecc). there's a way of turning it on, but you'll have to search for it.
something to do with a remote control...

leslie

"tg" <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
> http://www.sonydigital-link.com/Shared/ASP/redirect.asp?red=http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3800545151.pdf
> (beware wrapping url)
>
> I gotta problem with a Sony camcorder model DCR-VX1000 trying to get it to
> act as a VCR. I want to record stuff onto its DV tape using the firewire
> connection. Page 54 of the maunal clearly shows connecting two camcorders
> (using the DV in/out ports) together you can use one as a player and one
> as a recorder to do tape copying and even video editing.
> I am trying to play video on my PC and record it onto the camcorder using
> a firewire cable but it won't work. I am using adobe premier pro to play
> the avi file and this program does output it's content to firewire and I
> know it's working okay. The camcorder starts recording okay but the
> viewfinder is black and there's no image on it or on the tape. I've been
> through the menus on the camcorder and no-where does it say you have to
> switch the camcorder to VCR mode. According to the manual the camcorder
> should put itself into 'DV in' mode as soon as it detects a signal being
> played down the firewire cable but it doesn't work that way with my Sony
> DCR-VX1000. It may be that it will only work if it recognises the signal
> as coming from another Sony camcorder but I'm only guessing here. I've
> tried sending an e-mail to Sony but heard no reply. Thanks for any help.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:57:58 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: problem using Sony DCR-CX1000E camcorder as a VCR>,
"ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote:

>is it an early pal model? if so, record in was disabled (tax thing in the
>ecc). there's a way of turning it on, but you'll have to search for it.
>something to do with a remote control...
>
>leslie

leslie:

I'm not the original poster, but perhaps you can answer a question for
me, please.

Is that Record In "tax thing in the ecc" still in effect these days or
has it been abandoned?

TIA.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant
New York, NY

[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/

"ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message
> is it an early pal model?

dunno, and not sure how to find that out leslie

> if so, record in was disabled (tax thing in the ecc). there's a way of
> turning it on, but you'll have to search for it. something to do with a
> remote control...

yes I have the remote control with it. Where did you hear about this? can
you give any more details about how to turn it on? Thanks for your response.

> "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message
>> is it an early pal model?
>
> dunno, and not sure how to find that out leslie
>
>> if so, record in was disabled (tax thing in the ecc). there's a way
>> of turning it on, but you'll have to search for it. something to do
>> with a remote control...
>
> yes I have the remote control with it. Where did you hear about this?
> can you give any more details about how to turn it on? Thanks for your
> response.

Google: enable dv record

It uses a special model remote control used by service
people, not the remote that comes with the device. There
are alternatives that use a kludge self-assembled cable
and software on your computer.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:09:38 -0000, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: problem using Sony DCR-CX1000E camcorder as a VCR>,
"tg" <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote:

>yes I have the remote control with it. Where did you hear about this? can
>you give any more details about how to turn it on? Thanks for your response.

tg:

Assuming that the subject line of this thread was intended to say
"DCR-VX1000E" and not "DCR-CX1000E", the remote being referred to is
the Sony model RM95 service remote, which I assume you do *not* have,
but there are other methods available, as described at the following
(and other) URLs.

http://www.datavision.co.uk/widgetlist.asp?naked=no

http://www.ifrance.com/dv2000/dcrdvin.htm

http://www.fcosinus.com/dvin/

The RM95 method involves changing a code page, or memory area, within
the camcorder, similar to changing an entry in a SCSI hard disk
drive's code page to cause different behavior in the drive such as
ignoring certain types of soft errors thereby improving performance of
the drive when used in an I/O intensive environment. Drives with such
modifications were sometimes sold, at a premium price, as "A/V rated".

Note that some of these DCR-VX1000E modifications can be successfully
implemented only on older units having certain low serial numbers, so
check your serial number before ordering any widgets or shipping your
camcorder off to be de-neutered.

You should also check the following Web site for information.

http://www.dv-in.com/

Good luck!

--

"Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:09:38 -0000, in 'rec.video.desktop',
> in article <Re: problem using Sony DCR-CX1000E camcorder as a VCR>,
> "tg" <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote:
>
>>yes I have the remote control with it. Where did you hear about this? can
>>you give any more details about how to turn it on? Thanks for your
>>response.
>
> tg:
>
> Assuming that the subject line of this thread was intended to say
> "DCR-VX1000E" and not "DCR-CX1000E", the remote being referred to is
> the Sony model RM95 service remote, which I assume you do *not* have,
> but there are other methods available, as described at the following
> (and other) URLs.
>
> http://www.datavision.co.uk/widgetlist.asp?naked=no
>
> http://www.ifrance.com/dv2000/dcrdvin.htm
>
> http://www.fcosinus.com/dvin/
>
> The RM95 method involves changing a code page, or memory area, within
> the camcorder, similar to changing an entry in a SCSI hard disk
> drive's code page to cause different behavior in the drive such as
> ignoring certain types of soft errors thereby improving performance of
> the drive when used in an I/O intensive environment. Drives with such
> modifications were sometimes sold, at a premium price, as "A/V rated".
>
> Note that some of these DCR-VX1000E modifications can be successfully
> implemented only on older units having certain low serial numbers, so
> check your serial number before ordering any widgets or shipping your
> camcorder off to be de-neutered.
>
> You should also check the following Web site for information.
>
> http://www.dv-in.com/

thanks for this info Frank, most helpful.