HP 5550 wireless LAN problems

May 29, 2004 8:44:32 PM

I have any HP 5550 running Windows 2003. I'm seeking help on how to
configure wireless connection. Recently, I have been in several places
where you can you was the wireless hotspot providing you have an access
card.
The card provides login credentials. After turning on the wireless LAN, I
can see the connection but I cannot figure out where to put in the login
credentials. If I go through settings | connections | advanced | network
card | my network card connects to ................. what should the correct
settings show?

Also, sometimes when my position falls within a wireless connection, I see
that the access point is found but I can find no way in which to connect to
it. It just shows as available. If I press on the found connection and
click connect I would expect the dialog box to open asking for login
credentials but it does not. In one of the wireless hotspot establishments,
other people said to me that they simply opened their browser and the login
page automatically opens. In summary, I can find no way to connect my PDA
using wireless connection. I have no problem with Bluetooth. I did in fact
have a problem with the machine when I noticed that the yellow light which
should blink when the wireless LAN is turned on was not blinking. I found
an earlier posting where the machine has to be rebooted after removing the
battery and this has now rectified that problem. The yellow light is
blinking. I am now wondering if there is something else wrong with my
machine. Help from a learned experienced user would be gratefully
appreciated
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 3:02:45 PM

Usually these credential cards work this way:

1. You connect to the network.
2. You open your browser and send it to any site.
3. The network redirects you to a LOGIN page
4. You put your credentials there.
5. After approval, you can do anything in the internet for the time
supported by the card.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Wendy.J" <wendyJ456@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o yquTHWREHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I have any HP 5550 running Windows 2003. I'm seeking help on how to
> configure wireless connection. Recently, I have been in several places
> where you can you was the wireless hotspot providing you have an access
> card.
> The card provides login credentials. After turning on the wireless LAN, I
> can see the connection but I cannot figure out where to put in the login
> credentials. If I go through settings | connections | advanced | network
> card | my network card connects to ................. what should the
correct
> settings show?
>
> Also, sometimes when my position falls within a wireless connection, I see
> that the access point is found but I can find no way in which to connect
> it. It just shows as available. If I press on the found connection and
> click connect I would expect the dialog box to open asking for login
> credentials but it does not. In one of the wireless hotspot
establishments,
> other people said to me that they simply opened their browser and the
login
> page automatically opens. In summary, I can find no way to connect my
PDA
> using wireless connection. I have no problem with Bluetooth. I did in
fact
> have a problem with the machine when I noticed that the yellow light which
> should blink when the wireless LAN is turned on was not blinking. I found
> an earlier posting where the machine has to be rebooted after removing the
> battery and this has now rectified that problem. The yellow light is
> blinking. I am now wondering if there is something else wrong with my
> machine. Help from a learned experienced user would be gratefully
> appreciated

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 6:11:25 PM

Hi Wendy,

I have a 5450, but assume that the LEDs are identical. If you have a
yellow/orange light flashing - this means you DON'T have a connection to
an access point, you need the same LED flashing GREEN!

If the accesspoint is found in the wireless dialog, but you can't
connect to it, I would suspect some kind of encryption necessary for
accessing this access point (which is very unlikely in a hotspot
environment)!

If you are again in such a hotspot area, try to ask how the access point
SSID is named and make sure you are connecting to the right network (and
not to an ad hoc network of another guy with a wireless card in the same
room or so....)

bye
Marcus.

!