editing video with both PAL and NTSC

Hi,

My problem is as follows. I have most of my footage recorded in PAL on
miniDV (it was shot in india). Now i am back in the states and would
like to finish shooting my footage but it will have to be on NTSC
miniDV. I know i have to convert one to the other but what i want is
to loose as little quality as possible (none if possible).

I called around some Video Production Houses and most places can
convert my PAL miniDV to NTSC but they said their boxes are analog
which will cause a loss in quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there places that can digitally
convert my PAL to NTSC. Should i do my editing in both PAL and NTSC
then convert at the very end?

Im very stuck on what i should do so any help would be very much
appreciated.

-vikas
3 answers Last reply
More about editing video ntsc

    vsodhani wrote ...
    > My problem is as follows. I have most of my footage recorded
    > in PAL on miniDV (it was shot in india). Now i am back in the
    > states and would like to finish shooting my footage but it will
    > have to be on NTSC miniDV. I know i have to convert one to
    > the other but what i want is to loose as little quality as possible
    > (none if possible).
    >
    > I called around some Video Production Houses and most places
    > can convert my PAL miniDV to NTSC but they said their boxes
    > are analog which will cause a loss in quality.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Do you have the PAL camcorder that shot the footage?
    Or do you know anyone who has a PAL camcorder?
    Perhaps among others from your country (or most other
    parts of the former British Empire, etc.) who brought
    their PAL camcorders over with them?

    > Are there places that can digitally convert my PAL to NTSC.

    I'd bet that there are dozens of video production places
    that can do a digital capture of PAL Mini-DV. Maybe they
    think you just need a simple conversion & dub to VHS
    or something. What did you ask them for?

    I'd think that what you want is a PAL capture to an AVI file
    (or whatever your computer/software uses). If it can be
    broken up into 20-minute shots (or smaller), the PAL DV
    AVI files could be written to a DVD and then imported
    into your editing software.

    Or you could rent a PAL camcorder or a Sony DSR-11
    VCR (which will play and record either PAL or NTSC
    but it does NOT transcode from one to the other).

    > Should i do my editing in both PAL and NTSC

    Not even sure what that means?

    > then convert at the very end?

    I would capture in PAL, edit in PAL, and THEN do any
    standards conversion after the edited program was
    completely finished.

    Hi thanks so much for responding! I have found a place that will
    cpature my PAL footage into raw AVi files. I would edit and everything
    directly in PAL and only convert at after i am finished, but the
    problem is that I have some footage shot in the US that is on miniDV in
    NTSC formatt which i also need to use in my video.

    This is why i have to convert to one common format and then begin my
    editing. is there some other solution that I am overlooking?

    If you do think i should convert all my footage to either PAL or NTSC
    (before editing) which direction should i go (NTSC->PAL or PAL->NTSC).
    Also what is the best way to convert between the two and retain the
    highest quality possible? Should i do this through software or should
    i go to someone who has a deck capable of doing the conversion?

    Thanks again for your help!
    -vikas

    vsodhani wrote ...
    > Hi thanks so much for responding! I have found a place that will
    > cpature my PAL footage into raw AVi files. I would edit and
    > everything
    > directly in PAL and only convert at after i am finished, but the
    > problem is that I have some footage shot in the US that is on miniDV
    > in
    > NTSC formatt which i also need to use in my video.
    >
    > This is why i have to convert to one common format and then begin my
    > editing. is there some other solution that I am overlooking?
    >
    > If you do think i should convert all my footage to either PAL or NTSC
    > (before editing) which direction should i go (NTSC->PAL or PAL->NTSC).

    If the majority of your footage is PAL, then I would capture and
    edit in PAL. If you have NTSC footage to add, I would convert
    that to PAL for editing purposes. OTOH, depending on how you
    are using it, it might be better to leave blank spots in your PAL
    timeline, convert it to NTSC, and then edit the NTSC shots in.

    > Also what is the best way to convert between the two and retain the
    > highest quality possible? Should i do this through software or should
    > i go to someone who has a deck capable of doing the conversion?

    I believe that the best available method of trans-coding between
    NTSC <-> PAL is software like TMPGEnc. I'm not sure if it is
    actually TMPGEnc or one of the other video software applications.
    I would go to www.videohelp.com and find out what the consensus
    is for best NTSC <-> PAL converter.

    For example...
    "How to convert PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL / Framerate conversions"
    http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=4;41#4;41

Tuner Cards MiniDV Desktops Video Graphics