Keep getting remote host error

The error is "Remote assistance connection could not be established because
the remote host name could not be resolved.Please try again."

I have XP Home trying to connect to another XP Home in another state.
1 answer Last reply
More about keep remote host error

    Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > The error is "Remote assistance connection could not be established
    > because the remote host name could not be resolved.Please try again."

    One cause of this is that the Novice (the person requesting assistance) is
    behind a NAT router.

    If the Novice is behind a NAT router, then in order for Remote Assiatance to
    work, the NAT router must support UPnP, and UPnP support must be enabled and
    working. In the Novice's XP, any firewall must have Exceptions defined for
    (a) incoming UPnP traffic, and (b) incoming Remote Assistance traffic. In
    the Novice's XP, the SSDP Service must be running (this is the default
    state, but some users mistakenly disable it).

    If the Novice's NAT router does not support UPnP, then you will not easily
    get Remote Assistance working.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk