checking user name on a remote machine ???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi All,
I was wondering whether it is possible to check if a particular username
exists on a remote machine given the machine's IP address.

(something like : Net user dude100 //192.68.251.8)

TIA,
Shafeeq M.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Assuming you have administrator privileges on the remote computer and file
and print sharing access you can use Computer Management and select to
connect to other computer and view users and groups on that computer.
Another alternative may be to use TS Remote Administration or Remote Desktop
if the remote computer has that capability. --- Steve

"Shafeeq_lshtm" <shafeeq.mansoor@lshtm.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I was wondering whether it is possible to check if a particular username
> exists on a remote machine given the machine's IP address.
>
> (something like : Net user dude100 //192.68.251.8)
>
> TIA,
> Shafeeq M.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

"Shafeeq_lshtm" <shafeeq.mansoor@lshtm.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I was wondering whether it is possible to check if a particular username
> exists on a remote machine given the machine's IP address.
>
> (something like : Net user dude100 //192.68.251.8)
>
> TIA,
> Shafeeq M.

Do you mean
- If the account "dude" exists on the remote machine, or
- If user "dude" is logged on at the remote machine?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi Pegasus,
Thanks for the response. All I want to know is whether the given username
exists on the remote machine while he is not logged in.(I figured that
nbtstat -A could reveal the logged in user)
Thanks again for clarifying.

Cheers,
Shaffeq M.

PS: This remote machine happens to be our dial-in server so when someone
wants to subscribe I need to check if his username already exists there.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Shafeeq_lshtm" <shafeeq.mansoor@lshtm.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> > I was wondering whether it is possible to check if a particular username
> > exists on a remote machine given the machine's IP address.
> >
> > (something like : Net user dude100 //192.68.251.8)
> >
> > TIA,
> > Shafeeq M.
> >

> Do you mean
> - If the account "dude" exists on the remote machine, or
> - If user "dude" is logged on at the remote machine?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Finally I arrived at the solution : psexec(Thanx to Pegasus) . Steve, I
really was looking for a command line procedure so that I could script the
task. Thanks anyway for your recommendations.

Cheers guys.
Shafeeq M.

"Shafeeq_lshtm" <shafeeq.mansoor@lshtm.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I was wondering whether it is possible to check if a particular username
> exists on a remote machine given the machine's IP address.
>
> (something like : Net user dude100 //192.68.251.8)
>
> TIA,
> Shafeeq M.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Use psexec.exe (www.sysinternals.com) to run commands on
a remote machine:

psexec \\pc1 net user | find /i "JohnBlack"
psexec \\pc1 c:\tool\psloggedon | find /i "JohnBlack"

The first command will find you if John Black has an account
on PC1. The second command will tell you if he is currently
logged on. psloggedon.exe is another SysInternals tool.

> Hi Pegasus,
> Thanks for the response. All I want to know is whether the given username
> exists on the remote machine while he is not logged in.(I figured that
> nbtstat -A could reveal the logged in user)
> Thanks again for clarifying.
>
> Cheers,
> Shaffeq M.
>
> PS: This remote machine happens to be our dial-in server so when someone
> wants to subscribe I need to check if his username already exists there.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shafeeq_lshtm" <shafeeq.mansoor@lshtm.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > > I was wondering whether it is possible to check if a particular
username
> > > exists on a remote machine given the machine's IP address.
> > >
> > > (something like : Net user dude100 //192.68.251.8)
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Shafeeq M.
> > >

> > Do you mean
> > - If the account "dude" exists on the remote machine, or
> > - If user "dude" is logged on at the remote machine?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks Pegasus, for the tip this is really something I was looking for.
Cheers
Shafeeq M.

Shafeeq_lshtm wrote:
> Thanks Pegasus, for the tip this is really something I was looking
> for. Cheers

I use PSEXEC in combination with an application called "netusers" to get a
history of logons..

http://www.jsiinc.com/subh/tip3900/rh3977.htm

--
<- Shenan ->

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Wouldn't it have been easier to just right-click on the machine in ADUCs and
pick Manage and look at the Users listed in the Local Accounts? You can
even select "Export List" and save them to a text file.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com