PowerPoint 97 Crash

We have created a 300 slide 19Mb presentation but all of a sudden
when we try to save the presentation, an error msg appears:
"An error has occured that PowerPoint cannot fix. Close all programs
and exit"
At this point the presentation locks and if Save is accomplished, the
presentation is gone. Our backup saved us a bit with only a day or so
loss. Is there a max size limit to PowerPoint 97?

Hal

"Steve L" <sgl929@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> We have created a 300 slide 19Mb presentation but all of a sudden
> when we try to save the presentation, an error msg appears:
> "An error has occured that PowerPoint cannot fix. Close all programs
> and exit"
> At this point the presentation locks and if Save is accomplished, the
> presentation is gone. Our backup saved us a bit with only a day or so
> loss. Is there a max size limit to PowerPoint 97?

Hi Steve,

I can't ever remember using 300 slides on one presentation in PowerPoint97,
but I have had presentations far in excess of 19MB. I've conducted
marketing classes using PowerPoint slides that were loaded with video
demonstrations. The PowerPoints were quite large. So, I don't believe size
is the problem. Okay...

Did it ever work correctly?

If yes, the file may be itself may be corrupt. You may be able to recover
it using a PowerPoint recovery program:
http://www.brothersoft.com/Business_Presentation_Tools_PowerPointRecovery_13290.html
This one's a bit pricey, but it's better than redoing the slideshow.

You may be able to delete portions of the PowerPoint and save it in pieces.
That is, delete the last two-thirds then use "Save-as" to save first part,
etc. Once you have the pieces save, you should be able to reassemble it.

It's also possible that you tried to load and save a corrupted graphics,
video or sound file. That would have a similar affect as the entire file
being corrupted, but you may be able to isolate it by deleting the files one
by one and trying to save. This would help isolate the problem.

Anyway, good luck!

Hal Lowe
http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

Thanks.
It looks like the culprit might have been importing clip art.
The powerpoint file all of a sudden went from 19Mb to 16Mb and the
crashes stopped.
Having the clip art CD open with PowerPoint running seems to have been
a conflict.
Thanks again.
Steve

> Thanks.
> It looks like the culprit might have been importing clip art.
> The powerpoint file all of a sudden went from 19Mb to 16Mb and the
> crashes stopped.
> Having the clip art CD open with PowerPoint running seems to have been
> a conflict.
> Thanks again.
> Steve

You're very welcome. Glad I could help.