DV to DVD with subtitles & chapters - workflow?

Hi all,

I wish to back up my DV tapes to DVD. No editing, just a straight
copy. However, I would like chapter points where I have stopped the
camera (which is easily detectable by the change in timecode) and I
would also like the date/time available as a subtitle.

Can anyone suggest a simple way of achieving this without too much
manual intervention?

I currently use WinDV to capture, which splits up the files, and create
the mpegs in TMPEGENC (using a perl script to generate the batch file).
I have seen freeware to extract the date/time data to a file, but I
don't know which authoring packages can accept subtitles, and in which
format. Can anyone recommend authoring software that will do this?

Thanks,

Jojax14
4 answers Last reply
More about subtitles chapters workflow

    On 16 Feb 2005 06:59:27 -0800, jojax14@yahoo.com.au wrote:

    >Hi all,

    How are you going to fit a 60 or 63 minute mini-DV tape which holds
    over 13 Gb of data (assumng it is fully recorded) onto a 4.38 Gb DVD-R
    disk? DVD simply isn't a suitable backup medium for mini-DV tapes,
    despite how many times I see people asking about this in the
    newsgroup.

    On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:55:15 -0500) it happened Jim Gunn
    <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com> wrote in <aiba11letjsomrau9ftllahborek91ncf1@4ax.com>:

    >On 16 Feb 2005 06:59:27 -0800, jojax14@yahoo.com.au wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >
    >How are you going to fit a 60 or 63 minute mini-DV tape which holds
    >over 13 Gb of data (assumng it is fully recorded) onto a 4.38 Gb DVD-R
    The good thing is tha ta DVD is 4 700 000 000 BYTES, not 4.38 giga bit.
    You have to agree it helps a LITTLE ;-)
    In the case of DVD 'giga byte' is metric (and not a multiple of 1024).

    On 2/17/2005, Jim Gunn managed to type:
    > On 16 Feb 2005 06:59:27 -0800, jojax14@yahoo.com.au wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >
    > How are you going to fit a 60 or 63 minute mini-DV tape which holds
    > over 13 Gb of data (assumng it is fully recorded) onto a 4.38 Gb DVD-R
    > disk? DVD simply isn't a suitable backup medium for mini-DV tapes,
    > despite how many times I see people asking about this in the
    > newsgroup.

    Let's see: 13/4.38 = 2.968

    OK! I could try dividing the file into 2.968 segments and putting each
    one on a *separate* DVD, labeled, oh, let's say MyMovie 1, MyMovie 2,
    MyMovie 0.968...

    Or if I use Jan's numbers, I only need 2.77 DVDs. Cool!

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    "Jim Gunn" <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On 16 Feb 2005 06:59:27 -0800, jojax14@yahoo.com.au wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >
    > How are you going to fit a 60 or 63 minute mini-DV tape which holds
    > over 13 Gb of data (assumng it is fully recorded) onto a 4.38 Gb DVD-R
    > disk? DVD simply isn't a suitable backup medium for mini-DV tapes,
    > despite how many times I see people asking about this in the
    > newsgroup.

    where does he say hes going to do one tape to one dvd ?

Tuner Cards DVD Graphics