how to fix mpeg2 with bad timing?

peter

I borrowed a video from a friend that is in svcd format. However, there is
something very wrong with it timing wise.

When I play the file with windows media player (using roxio mpeg2 decoder),
it plays fine unless I try to move the slider around, in which case it seems
broken -- sometimes I can't move the video past a certain time, sometimes
the time jump suddenly, and sometimes the time changes but the video
continues at the same place, etc. Also, moving the slider usually requires
waiting a few seconds for the play to find the place to start playing.

If I play the file with virtualdubmod, then there is obvious lip-sync
problem after 30 minutes or so.

At one point I put the video into premiere and cut up and re-align the audio
to fit the video. Then I exported the audio, re-encode it mp2 and
re-multiplex it with the original mpeg video. The resulting file plays fine
in virtualdub, but now when playing with windows media player, there is lip
sync problem!!

What is going on? Is there a way to fix the timing in the video portion? I'm
willing to lip-sync manually using premiere, if I can have an output file
that plays in both virtualdub and windows media player and can be random
accessed the slider without delay.

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I borrowed a video from a friend that is in svcd format. However, there is
>something very wrong with it timing wise.
>
> When I play the file with windows media player (using roxio mpeg2
> decoder), it plays fine unless I try to move the slider around, in which
> case it seems broken -- sometimes I can't move the video past a certain
> time, sometimes the time jump suddenly, and sometimes the time changes but
> the video continues at the same place, etc. Also, moving the slider
> usually requires waiting a few seconds for the play to find the place to
> start playing.
>
> If I play the file with virtualdubmod, then there is obvious lip-sync
> problem after 30 minutes or so.
>
> At one point I put the video into premiere and cut up and re-align the
> audio to fit the video. Then I exported the audio, re-encode it mp2 and
> re-multiplex it with the original mpeg video. The resulting file plays
> fine in virtualdub, but now when playing with windows media player, there
> is lip sync problem!!
>
> What is going on? Is there a way to fix the timing in the video portion?
> I'm willing to lip-sync manually using premiere, if I can have an output
> file that plays in both virtualdub and windows media player and can be
> random accessed the slider without delay.

You could try and fix it by removing the padding and correcting
the PTS data and GOP Headers with "VideoReDo".
www.VideoReDo.com Just run it through the "Quickfix" utility if
you don't need any frame accurate editing.

Luck;
Ken