Any way to improve on Ulead's batch capture?

Using Ulead 7's batch capture seems to be really hard on my camera, it
stops and starts the video and uses FF and RW to get to the next point
even if the next point is only 5 seconds away, as a result it misses
some of them because it can't stop the FF in time to hit it and
sometimes gets caught in a loop while trying. Is there anything out
there that will just rewind the tape to the first mark and play the tape
without stopping from beginning to end and capture my marked segments as
they pass?
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

On 2/17/2005, Chris Phillipo managed to type:
> Using Ulead 7's batch capture seems to be really hard on my camera, it
> stops and starts the video and uses FF and RW to get to the next point
> even if the next point is only 5 seconds away, as a result it misses
> some of them because it can't stop the FF in time to hit it and
> sometimes gets caught in a loop while trying. Is there anything out
> there that will just rewind the tape to the first mark and play the tape
> without stopping from beginning to end and capture my marked segments as
> they pass?

ScenAlyzer Live at http://www.scenalyzer.com does something like this
(look on the site for Smart batch capture). I'm not sure if it's quite
what you need, but the program is robust and not very expensive ($39,
also 39 Euros).

It can set up the scene points during an initial fast-forward pass
through the whole tape. You pick the scenes you want and it does the
rest during one pass through the tape at normal and fast speeds. I'm
guessing it doesn't use fast forward if the gap to the next scene is
short.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

In article <mn.8abe7d52d0266308.1980@nobody.invalid>,
spamfree@nobody.invalid says...
> ScenAlyzer Live at http://www.scenalyzer.com does something like this
> (look on the site for Smart batch capture). I'm not sure if it's quite
> what you need, but the program is robust and not very expensive ($39,
> also 39 Euros).
>
> It can set up the scene points during an initial fast-forward pass
> through the whole tape. You pick the scenes you want and it does the
> rest during one pass through the tape at normal and fast speeds. I'm
> guessing it doesn't use fast forward if the gap to the next scene is
> short.
>
> Gino
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
> letters617blochg3251
> (replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

If the difference between some of the clips is only 5 seconds, why not just
make a note to yourself where that 5 seconds is and cut it out later? If the
problem is as simple as in and out point being too close together, then the
simplest form of problem elimination is obvious - don't choose points so
close together. The time factor would probably work out to be the same
considering when an in point and out point are marked you have to log it to
the batch list. Finding that spot on the timeline and cutting out that 5
seconds amounts to about the same amount of time, with no batch capture
headaches - which is ultimately wasting your time both here on the forum
looking for a fix, and resetting the batch capture when the thing gets
caught in a loop.

Why this is a problem I cannot say. Most batch captures do the same fast
forward rewind thing but then playback a few seconds as a preroll before
capturing, even if the out point from a previous clip is included. If there
is a timecode gap on the tape - a place where you paused and restarted
recording, I suppose that could cause this problem. You may want to stripe
the timecode onto a tape before using it. Striping covers up those places
where gaps may exist from pausing and restarting recording on an otherwise
non-striped tape.

Just my two cents.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

In article <0m8Rd.52117$pc5.46043@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com says...
> Subject: Re: Any way to improve on Ulead's batch capture?
> From: "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> If the difference between some of the clips is only 5 seconds, why not just
> make a note to yourself where that 5 seconds is and cut it out later? If the
> problem is as simple as in and out point being too close together, then the
> simplest form of problem elimination is obvious - don't choose points so
> close together. The time factor would probably work out to be the same
> considering when an in point and out point are marked you have to log it to
> the batch list. Finding that spot on the timeline and cutting out that 5
> seconds amounts to about the same amount of time, with no batch capture
> headaches - which is ultimately wasting your time both here on the forum
> looking for a fix, and resetting the batch capture when the thing gets
> caught in a loop.

I only just started using batch capturing, I was simply capturing a
large segment of video and editing by pulling parts out of it but it is
a futile efford in Ulead Video Studio because you can't grab the slider
and scroll through the video while it's playing. I'm editing autosport
events and I have many small scenes that I need to seperate. I
discovered with batch capture (when it works) I could walk away and come
back to 50 scenes with preview icons that show me exactly what is in
each scene and quickly shuffle things onto the timeline without any
searching. I can avoid the 5 second problem, that is not really the
main issue, it's the stop and start, FF and RW of my camera over 100
times in an hour, it gets quite hot by the end of this. It seems
excessive and unecessary for the job I'm trying to do, my tiny Elura 2MC
doesns't seem like it will stand up to much of that. I think I may have
to just capture the entire tape and use a program to chop up the file in
the same mannor as batch capturing, it's just going to take twice as
much disk space, I just need to find something that lets me edit DV
format by pressing the mark in and mark out buttons while the file is
playing and doesn't require draging anything to a timeline in between.

--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Susan

Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

>I only just started using batch capturing, I was simply capturing a
>large segment of video and editing by pulling parts out of it but it is
>a futile efford in Ulead Video Studio because you can't grab the slider
>and scroll through the video while it's playing. I'm editing autosport
>events and I have many small scenes that I need to seperate. I
>discovered with batch capture (when it works) I could walk away and come
>back to 50 scenes with preview icons that show me exactly what is in
>each scene and quickly shuffle things onto the timeline without any
>searching. I can avoid the 5 second problem, that is not really the
>main issue, it's the stop and start, FF and RW of my camera over 100
>times in an hour, it gets quite hot by the end of this. It seems
>excessive and unecessary for the job I'm trying to do, my tiny Elura 2MC
>doesns't seem like it will stand up to much of that. I think I may have
>to just capture the entire tape and use a program to chop up the file in
>the same mannor as batch capturing, it's just going to take twice as
>much disk space, I just need to find something that lets me edit DV
>format by pressing the mark in and mark out buttons while the file is
>playing and doesn't require draging anything to a timeline in between.

Hi Chris,

Batch capture is left over from the early days of analog video. Most
people have given it up as a lost cause, but a few "old timers" still
cling to batching because that is the way they have always done it.

However, with DV, almost all modern editing programs give your the
option of capturing your full tape as a series of individual files
broken at every point you started and stopped your camcorder during
recording. This gives you a "batch" capture of the entire tape
without starting and stopping your camcorder hundreds of times, and it
is also "frame accurate," which real batch capture is not.

The down side of this is that you can easily end up with hundreds of
tiny files if you start and stop your shooting every few seconds. I
don't use Ulead Video Studio, but I recall seeing DV scene detection
capture as a feature. But, in any case Scenealizer, Premiere,
Pinnacle Studio, Vegas, etc. etc. all have this feature, and most
people use it as a fast "automatic" batch capture. Then you just go
through your captured video and discard anything you don't want, then
arrange the scenes the way you like and trim/combine them for your
finished project.

On the other hand, many people find working with all these small files
is a real pain and would rather capture the full tape and cut/save
each segment they want manually. (It sounds from your above as if
Ulead is not good at this most basic feature). Also, many editing
programs start to bog down if you import hundreds of separate
files/scenes. The best system I've found to work with a large amount
of footage is that used by Pinnacle Studio products. They actually
capture the entire tape (or whatever portion you want) as one file,
but mark each scene separately (based on timecode or optically) so
each scene appears to be a separate file. Scenealizer will also
capture using the Pinnacle Studio system, but the captured scene file
is only usable within Studio.

NOTE HOWEVER, that Pinnacle Studio makes heavy demands on your
computer system and people who can't or won't configure their systems
correctly have all kinds of problems.

So, if you want to stick with Ulead Video Studio, I suggest you use
its DV scene detection mode based on timecode and see if that works
better than trying to go an actual batch capture, which will very
quickly wear out your camcorder.

Hope this helps,

Susan

> is a real pain and would rather capture the full tape and cut/save
> each segment they want manually. (It sounds from your above as if
> Ulead is not good at this most basic feature). Also, many editing
> programs start to bog down if you import hundreds of separate
> files/scenes. The best system I've found to work with a large amount
> of footage is that used by Pinnacle Studio products. They actually
> capture the entire tape (or whatever portion you want) as one file,
> but mark each scene separately (based on timecode or optically) so
> each scene appears to be a separate file. Scenealizer will also
> capture using the Pinnacle Studio system, but the captured scene file
> is only usable within Studio.
>
> NOTE HOWEVER, that Pinnacle Studio makes heavy demands on your
> computer system and people who can't or won't configure their systems
> correctly have all kinds of problems.
>
> So, if you want to stick with Ulead Video Studio, I suggest you use
> its DV scene detection mode based on timecode and see if that works
> better than trying to go an actual batch capture, which will very
> quickly wear out your camcorder.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Susan

I think I will have to pay better attention to when I start and stop the
camera while shooting from now on so that the scene detection by
timecode will be more useful to me, on this particular tape I am working
on it does cut it up into about twice as many files as I want because I
stopped the camera several times during one run when the car was out of
view. I actually bought the Pinnacle DC10+ back in the day, and later
Studio 8, I just loved getting to the rendering portion of the project
and having it inexplicably fold or the preview screen suddenly change to
flourcent green, when they dropped fixing 8 so they could come out with
9 I wasn't going to drop even more money in that hole. I did like their
interface better and I often wish I could use it to re-skin Ulead VS 7
:) I guess in an effort to make it more stable they force you to stop
the video in Ulead before you can scroll through it with the slider,
which is annoying, that was one feature that crashed Pinnacle's product
a lot so I guess it's an either/or proposition. I am trying to learn
Vegas now but it's a good deal more complicated and I don't think I will
have it figured out before the demo expires :)
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com