Setting up to Work Remotely

January 25, 2005 10:13:05 AM

We're just looking at setting up the ability to access select work computers
from home. I read through some old posts and found the link below which gave
some good info. However, I'm not clear on how to actually make the
connection without having a VPN. The article said VPN or establish a remote
access service connection. We don't have a VPN but I'm not sure how to do
this otherwise. Can anyone help?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

More about : setting work remotely

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:52:12 PM

flls04 wrote:
> We're just looking at setting up the ability to access select work
> computers from home. I read through some old posts and found the
> link below which gave some good info. However, I'm not clear on how
> to actually make the connection without having a VPN. The article
> said VPN or establish a remote access service connection. We don't
> have a VPN but I'm not sure how to do this otherwise. Can anyone
> help?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

You don't have to use VPN, but it does add an additional layer of security.
You can open up port 3389 inbound to the LAN IPs in question through your
firewall. If you have only one public IP, you'll want to take a look at
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Mul...

If you have a dynamic public IP, you'll also want to use something like
www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:21:05 PM

You don't need a VPN if your willing to open ports on your firewall so individual workers can access
individual machines. See this page for help and examples of that...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Mul...

For basic help with Remote Desktop including logging information...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"flls04" <flls04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We're just looking at setting up the ability to access select work computers
> from home. I read through some old posts and found the link below which gave
> some good info. However, I'm not clear on how to actually make the
> connection without having a VPN. The article said VPN or establish a remote
> access service connection. We don't have a VPN but I'm not sure how to do
> this otherwise. Can anyone help?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:13:18 PM

In article <3B417FCA-0198-470A-83A0-7D838B9DAF76@microsoft.com>, flls04
@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> We're just looking at setting up the ability to access select work computers
> from home. I read through some old posts and found the link below which gave
> some good info. However, I'm not clear on how to actually make the
> connection without having a VPN. The article said VPN or establish a remote
> access service connection. We don't have a VPN but I'm not sure how to do
> this otherwise. Can anyone help?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

If you have a firewall for your internet connection, contact the vendor
about VPN client software that the users can install at home.

If your Firewall supports PPTP as the firewall as an end-point, then
users can use their Widnows XP systems to VPN into the firewall and the
firewall rules can allow access to the internal systems.

I would NOT expose any ports directly to the workstations from the
internet, at least not using the standard ports used by most of the apps
available.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
!